ready to ride, turn key on..push button..only hear clicking noise , read this !! - Page 13 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Big thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??..turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( i said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer !!..this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??..ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?..now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?. now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk..now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screw driver..and touch the screw driver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screw driver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as your pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn to much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter ?. if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are suppose to go !..pull the starter apart, test the armaiture..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..i'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compresser works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down to tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet. now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumber cables to the starter's bolt post..becareful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just over hauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shoping for a new starter !..lol. hope this helps out gang !.
I was able today because of this write up here able to diagnose my clicking problem, had been all over viewing threads and youtube howtoo`s but this was the best, was so easy to follow, I went through every step and was able to determine my problem was the starter.

So thanks hope its OK for a Arctic Cat guy to comment...I have 2 Honda Motorcycles so that could be my in...I have a 1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate and a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcatguy View Post
Quote:
Look's like there are alot of members that come on here lately with a problem about thier atv's not starting ??..turns key on..pushes start button..and they only hear a clicking noise comming from somewhere ??? ( i said somewhere..because they have no idea what or where it is ! )..lol. anyway..your answer !!..this is a sign of a couple reasons as to what is going on..first..your battery could be weak ?..or dead ?..depends on how long you let it sit ????. soo..first thing's first..check your battery..make sure it's fully charged ???..now..push the start button....same thing..clicking noise that's driving you crazy..and not starting ??..ok..now..locate your starter's solenoid..it's round..and most of them are near your battery..it has two large cables on it..there is a 10mm nut that attaches the cable to the terminals...make sure the post is clean..and tight ?..now..follow the cable to your battery..do the same here..clean..and tight !. back at the solenoid's other termianl post..is the other large cable..check to see if it's clean and tight ?..if so..follow it to your starter....it's attached with a 10mm nut...about middle ways of your starter. check to see if it's clean and tight ?. now..go back to your battery....find the neg post on the battery....see if it's clean and tight ?..follow this cable to your starter or a motor bolt ?..most of these cables bolt up near the starter...either with the starter bolt that attaches the starter to the motor ?...or near the starter..is a 6mm bolt going through the cable..into the motor. see if it's clean and tight ?..okkk..now..go back to the solenoid..you know...that pesky round thing that makes that clicking sound when you push the starter button !!..with key on ( check to make sure all your fuses are not blown ! )..push the start button..does the atv crank up ?..or do you hear that damn pesky noise again ?..if you hear that clicking noise...take an old screw driver..and touch the screw driver to both tops of the solenoid terminals..did the bike crank over ??..or did it do nothing ?..if it cranked over...then replace the solenoid..it's bad !..if it did not crank over when you put the screw driver on the solenoid's terminals..then take a hammer..and slightly tap the starter as your pushing the start button....if the starter turns over after this..then your brushes are worn to much..and you can either replace the brushes in it ?..or..buy another starter ?. if you have found that it's your starter that is bad...remove the starter from the atv ( make sure you unhook the battery from the atv )..just one cable..neg or pos...does not matter. if you have a service manual ( which..you really should have one ! )..it will show you how to pre-test the starter. before you start removing the bolts/screws from the starter ( pay attention to this next part..VERY IMPORTANT ! )..scribe a couple lines across the ends of the starter..where the ends meet the middle...this is so...when you go to put it back together..you can line the ends up where they are suppose to go !..pull the starter apart, test the armaiture..it shows you in the book how to test it..and ohm it out. clean the ends out of all the grim and dirt..and crap..i'm sure it's full of it !!..an air compresser works wonders..if ya don't have one..well..wing it !!..lol. grease the ends of the armature..bearings if it has them ?..most do. put your new brushes in..put it back together. do not tighten the bolts or screws down to tight !!!..try spining the starter by hand..does it spin kinda easy ?..if not..you got something wrong ?..or..your new brushes have not '' seated '' in yet. now..take a set of jumper cables..hook them up to a good battery..car/truck..or even a battery by itself..just make sure you got the cables on the right post on the battery's end !..now...at the other end..hook the neg on the body of the starter..the best place is the ends of the starter..where the two bolt holes are. now..briefly..touch the pos cable end of the jumber cables to the starter's bolt post..becareful..if the starter is rebuilt right..it will kinda jerk as it turns really fast !..if you did it right..then congrats..you just over hauled your starter..and saved a few bucks !..if you failed..well..it's time to go shoping for a new starter !..lol. hope this helps out gang !.
I was able today because of this write up here able to diagnose my clicking problem, had been all over viewing threads and youtube howtoo`s but this was the best, was so easy to follow, I went through every step and was able to determine my problem was the starter.

So thanks hope its OK for a Arctic Cat guy to comment...I have 2 Honda Motorcycles so that could be my in...I have a 1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate and a 2015 Honda Shadow Aero 750
lol, as long as it helped you ?, then it's ok :-). I ride my '85 vf700c magna when I have the time and warm weather..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
post #123 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol, as long as it helped you ?, then it's ok :-). I ride my '85 vf700c magna when I have the time and warm weather..lol.
Seriously you covered it so well... I just sold a 1984 V45 Magna 750 this past summer, was a great bike, but something went dead and I was not able to figure it out, I sold it broke for 500 bucks

Yep on my Arctic Cat the starter was locked up, my new starter arrives tomorrow. In Canada prices are nuch higher, had to pay 165 to get Thursday, my snowplow, I am lost without it

I had another offer for 110, but they had no idea how long it might take to get.

I saw some on ebay USA for 40-70 bucks, but then there would be customs and would take forever to get it. Arctic Cat dealer near me asking 400 and change I kid you not

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Seriously you covered it so well... I just sold a 1984 V45 Magna 750 this past summer, was a great bike, but something went dead and I was not able to figure it out, I sold it broke for 500 bucks

Yep on my Arctic Cat the starter was locked up, my new starter arrives tomorrow. In Canada prices are nuch higher, had to pay 165 to get Thursday, my snowplow, I am lost without it

I had another offer for 110, but they had no idea how long it might take to get.

I saw some on ebay USA for 40-70 bucks, but then there would be customs and would take forever to get it. Arctic Cat dealer near me asking 400 and change I kid you not

thanks
your welcome. I've been doing this for about 18 years now, all self taught..lol. I don't know everything ?..but I know a little !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode