Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8548
View dirtguy25's Photo Gallery(0)
rancher 350 spongy brakes

I replaced the front brakes on my 2003 rancher 350 yesterday. They didn't work at all before, they work now but are really spongy. I've bled all the air out of both sides. How can I fix this?
dirtguy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
Might still be some air in the master cylinder?
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #1660
View submarine 300's Photo Gallery(0)
Brakes might be out of adjustment. Could still have air in the lines, lines old and swelling when brakes are applied. Master cylinder going out.
Make sure brakes are adjusted correctly. Make sure when you bleed that the reservoir stays full so as to not suck more air back in the system. If that does not fix the problem then clamp off the line where the hose comes out of the master cylinder and apply the brake. If it feels right then the master cylinder is ok. Release the clamp and check for swelling hoses when brake is applied. If there's no swelling then move on to the calipers. Any slight leaks on them?
U.S. Army S.O.F. Sniper (Don't run you'll only die tired!)
submarine 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
read this how to bleed your brakes ! tells you how to bleed your brakes.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8548
I have all the air out of the lines. I pulled the hubs back off today and found out that only one of the cylinders on the right drum, and one on the left drum are working. The cylinders were very nasty when I replaced the pads. I cleaned them up the best I could without removing them and put everything back together. This is why my brakes aren't working properly. All four adjusters are frozen up because I could not turn any of them. Is it possible to fix the cylinders without a kit? I found the kit on ebay, but it will not arrive by this friday which is when were leaving to go on a weekend ride. As far as the adjusters, I can't find them on ebay. I have some complete drums for a 1994 trx 300. Are any of the parts inside the same? Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguy25 View Post
I have all the air out of the lines. I pulled the hubs back off today and found out that only one of the cylinders on the right drum, and one on the left drum are working. The cylinders were very nasty when I replaced the pads. I cleaned them up the best I could without removing them and put everything back together. This is why my brakes aren't working properly. All four adjusters are frozen up because I could not turn any of them. Is it possible to fix the cylinders without a kit? I found the kit on ebay, but it will not arrive by this friday which is when were leaving to go on a weekend ride. As far as the adjusters, I can't find them on ebay. I have some complete drums for a 1994 trx 300. Are any of the parts inside the same? Thanks
yes..it's posb to clean them up..and get all 4 wheel cylinders to work..question is..can you do it ???..lol. those star wheels..they sometimes can be a pain..and sometimes break free easy..depends on how bad they are ?????..with a bench vise..clamp the star wheels in the vise..ON THE STAR PART !!.. soak it with some wd-40..with some vise grips..start to turn the center part back and forth..don't go very fast..or hard !..keep soaking them..sooner or later..they will break free..just don't force them !!..or you will break it. remember..one side of the star wheels are left handed threads !!!!. as for getting the brake cylinders to pop out..got a zert ( screw in grease fitting ). and a grease gun ?..this is about the only way you can get the piston to come out the cylinder...without messing it up !..some have been known to come out easy..while others want to be..well..you know !..now..if you got a few c-clamps..you can clamp the c-clamps down onto the working cylinders..and work the brakes lever at the handle bars to pop/push the sticking cylinders out..just watch which one pops out..and stick it back in far enough to c-clamp it too..then work the brake lever again to squeeze the remaining cylinder out...then..go back to my post on bleeding brakes..and follow that.then you should be golden.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
almost all the trx300's brakes are the same..question is...who's to say that brake parts from the '94 is any better or worse ???.lol.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8548
I bought the hub assembles for my old 300one that I sold. The brakes that were on it someone had complety gutted the cylinders for some reason. I bought a complete set off ebay that are in very good condition and very clean. I can see through the inspection hole. I sold the 300 before getting a chance to install them. I have not opened them up yet to see if they are the same as the ones in the rancher 350 that im working on now.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtguy25 View Post
I bought the hub assembles for my old 300one that I sold. The brakes that were on it someone had complety gutted the cylinders for some reason. I bought a complete set off ebay that are in very good condition and very clean. I can see through the inspection hole. I sold the 300 before getting a chance to install them. I have not opened them up yet to see if they are the same as the ones in the rancher 350 that im working on now.
hmmm..i do not know if the trx300's brakes are the same as the rancher's brakes ??...this your gonna have to compare yourself...i don't have a clue !. from what i'm seeing in my service manual..they don't look too be the same ?.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #8548
Ok, I will try in the morning. Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2003 honda rancher 350 4x4 brakes not working
bleed brakes honda rancher
bleed brakes on honda rancher 350

honda rancher 350 brake bleeding

honda rancher 350 brake pads
honda rancher atv spongy brakes
honda rancher brake bleeding

honda rancher front brake are weak

how do i bleed my brakes on my 2003 honda rancher

how to bleed brakes on honda rancher

rancher 350 master cyclinder rebuilding
rebuild master cylinder rancher
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.