Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
How do I get to the section to download the manuals? Im kinda new to the sight and cant figure it out lol.
Click on the link below and it will take you to the thread with all the service manual links. Read the first post and it will tell you what to click on and also the password, if needed for the file.

Service Manual Downloads - All years

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member #12942
View outdoorsextream68's Photo Gallery(0)
If you can make the engine stumble at half throttle while it's not under a laod "not being ridden" you might want to remove the air intake tube, and when it stumbles again at 1/2 throttle give it a shot of carb cleaner directly into the carb. If the engine races and stops stumbling you can eliminate an ignition issue and you will know its a laen fuel condition. And if it continues to stumble it will not be from a lack of fuel, that will point you in the direction of a bad CDI, Stator, Plug, Or Coil breaking down. "Good Luck"
outdoorsextream68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member #11796
View Bluestar's Photo Gallery(0)
I found my spark problem,my ignition coil wasnt getting a good ground so I sanded it down and I have good spark now. But... the bike continues to run the same lol. So now assuming it isnt an ignition problem and no matter how much I adjust this band new carb it still continues to spudder at half throttle, Just for the hell of it I ordered a new intake manafold boot and o ring gasket to see if this fixes the problem. Anything else that is could be? Just incase this doesnt help either.
Bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
if you can find..beg...or barrow a c.d.i from the same year as yours..i'd try that..if it's not the c.d.i..then your carb is not working..wrong jets..my money is on the c.d.i..then again..you can have a bad reg/rec that will cause a motor to do what your saying.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member #11796
View Bluestar's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
if you can find..beg...or barrow a c.d.i from the same year as yours..i'd try that..if it's not the c.d.i..then your carb is not working..wrong jets..my money is on the c.d.i..then again..you can have a bad reg/rec that will cause a motor to do what your saying.
Man I wish I could but I dont know anybody with the same bike as mine. So you think I should jump to the cdi next if I this doesnt fix it?
Bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestar View Post
Quote:
Man I wish I could but I dont know anybody with the same bike as mine. So you think I should jump to the cdi next if I this doesnt fix it?
first off..get a service manual..second..run test on your stator..reg/rec..and have a good battery if you have one ?..you can omh out your stator..so forth..the spec's are in the service manual....this manual pays for itself..before you go out and buy a c.d.i ( you want to leave this for last )..as they are not cheap !!..at least not new anyway !..check your stator..reg/rec..coil..there is no test for a c.d.i..other than replacing it with a new one..or at least from a running bike like yours. if after you check all of which i said..and they all check out ok ( within spec's )..and still have problems..then yes..go buy a c.d.i !. now..unless your carb has the wrongs settings ?..wrong jets ?..i see no other reason why your motor is not running right.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member #13017
View gadjet's Photo Gallery(0)
i have a 87 honda 350d fourtrax that only gets spark when it wants to i was told that it could possible be the cdi box but i dont want to get into it to much without a service manuel anyone know where i could possible find somewhere to download a manuel for it. tried downloading one from here and it was in the wrong format. thanks if you can help me out
gadjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadjet View Post
i have a 87 honda 350d fourtrax that only gets spark when it wants to i was told that it could possible be the cdi box but i dont want to get into it to much without a service manuel anyone know where i could possible find somewhere to download a manuel for it. tried downloading one from here and it was in the wrong format. thanks if you can help me out
What do you mean by the wrong format? All you need is a PDF reader, such as Acrobat Reader. Any service manual that you find online will require Acrobat Reader or similar PDF reader. If you don't have Acrobat Reader, you can google it and download it for free.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
even if you have a service manaul..it won't tell you how to test a c.d.i..as there is only two ways to test a c.d.i..buy a new one ?..or borrow one from someone that has the same bike...there is noooooo test that you can do to check a c.d.i while on the bike. from the sounds of it..you could have a few things going wrong..here is a few things you can check on these bikes..stator..reg/rec...pulse generator ( pick up coil )..spark plug coil..and spark plug..and loose connections at the c.d.i..or bad grounds on the spark plug coil..all of this can be checked..as for the c.d.i. new one...or borrow one.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
even if you have a service manaul..it won't tell you how to test a c.d.i..as there is only two ways to test a c.d.i..buy a new one ?..or borrow one from someone that has the same bike...there is noooooo test that you can do to check a c.d.i while on the bike. from the sounds of it..you could have a few things going wrong..here is a few things you can check on these bikes..stator..reg/rec...pulse generator ( pick up coil )..spark plug coil..and spark plug..and loose connections at the c.d.i..or bad grounds on the spark plug coil..all of this can be checked..as for the c.d.i. new one...or borrow one.
I agree. The service manual won't show you how to test the CDI. The only test in the service manual is for the wiring harness that plugs into the CDI and that isn't a test for the actual CDI, itself. Like Shadetree said, the only test is to replace with a known good one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

bad cdi symptoms

can you bypass a cdi box

cdi box symptoms

faulty cdi symptoms
how does a cdi box go bad

how to bypass cdi on atv

signs of bad cdi box

symptoms of a bad atv cdi

symptoms of a bad cdi box

symptoms of bad cdi box

what does cdi box do

what does the cdi box do on a atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.