Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8766
View brent's Photo Gallery(0)
air cut off valve

i am cleaning my carb and how do i check the cut off valve to make sure it is ok i had someone suck on one end to create a vacume and i blew on the other end and air went through it is that how you check it
brent is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
While pulling a vacuum on the hose on the valve, you shouldn't be able to blow through the other two ports, but you should be able to blow through the ports when no vacuum is being applied.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8766
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
While pulling a vacuum on the hose on the valve, you shouldn't be able to blow through the other two ports, but you should be able to blow through the ports when no vacuum is being applied.
ya when we are sucking on one end and blowing on the the other air is going through it
Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent View Post
Quote:
ya when we are sucking on one end and blowing on the the other air is going through it
Air shouldn't be going through the ports while you're pulling a vacuum, but maybe you aren't pulling a strong enough vacuum. I believe it takes a vacuum of about 18 in of Hg. to close the valve.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8766
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Air shouldn't be going through the ports while you're pulling a vacuum, but maybe you aren't pulling a strong enough vacuum. I believe it takes a vacuum of about 18 in of Hg. to close the valve.
ya well i am sucking as hard as i can and we can blow through it so it looks like i am buying a 70.00 part
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
ya well i am sucking as hard as i can and we can blow through it so it looks like i am buying a 70.00 part
I don't think the valve being bad will keep it from running or anything. The purpose of the air cut off valve is to keep the engine from popping or backfiring on quick deceleration. I would check Ebay or somewhere and try to find a used one cheaper.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
air cut of valve honda problems

air cut off valve atv

air cut valve assembly

air cutoff valve

bad air cutoff valve

honda air cut off valve

honda air cut valve

honda air cutoff valve

honda air cutoff valve assembly
honda phantom air cut-off valve
how to test air cut off valve

valve assy., air cut

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.