Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10559
View honda boy's Photo Gallery(0)
speedometer

How do i put a speedometer on my 96 honda big red 300 2wd..i have seen ones with a speedometer before but i never knew how to do it.... please help!!

Last edited by honda boy; 05-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.
honda boy is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to the forums. Honda offered an optional speedometer kit for those, but don't know if they would still be available or not. Trail Tech sells aftermarket speedometers for sport ATVs, but I don't know if they offer anything for the utility ATVs. You could look on their website to see.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the forums,and go check feeBay as I saw speedos for them on there the other day,but they were in kmh instead of mph...Plus there are a couple of aftermarket manufacturers who sell an add on speedo for most atvs,both with,and without hour meters,compasses,gps,etc...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #10559
thanks,but can you put,say a motorbike speedometer or a different quad speedo on it?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Most motorcycle speedos run off a tab attached to the hub of the front wheel,where most atv speedos run off a gear,or a sensor inside the transmission...A wheel driven speedo is more accurate as it moves with ground speed as the wheel rotates,whereas the transmission type moves with driveline rotation...So.if you're spinning the tires on an atv your speedo reads what the spinning tires are doing,not what the quad is actually moving...And unless you have some good mechanical skills it would be hard to adapt a mechanical speedo off of a motorsickle to your atv,but it can be done as long as you know the exact ratio at your hub as well as the ratio of the speedo itself,or you can buy the correct speedo for your atv,and bolt it on using OEM parts searching feeBay as well as the BigRed forums for a complete working speedo setup...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Here is the part that you would need to hook a cable type speedometer up on the Fourtrax 300. As you can see, it bolts onto the ouput shaft housing. This was offered as an option, but I don't know if they're still available now. I doubt it.

Click the image to open in full size.]
Click the image to open in full size.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Now I am wanting one for the 300...
Old 05-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #10559
great thanks, now i just have to get a speedo and find where it hooks up
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Here is the optional speedometer. This picture and the pictures above, are pictures that Fourtrax posted. These were on his 300. I don't see why just about any cable operated speedometer wouldn't work, just as long as you can figure out a way to mount it to something.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Here is the optional speedometer. This picture and the pictures above, are pictures that Fourtrax posted. These were on his 300. I don't see why just about any cable operated speedometer wouldn't work, just as long as you can figure out a way to mount it to something.

Speedos have a speed to turns ratio,you have to know which ratio you need,1:1,1:1.2,1:1.5,etc,and which ratio the speedo is in order to use it,and it be close to accurate...Unless you can find an OEM one that was available to,or for your model...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
1986 honda 350 quad speedometer cable

aftermarket atv speedometer

aftermarket speedometer for atv
atv addon speedometer

atv aftermarket speedometer

atv speedometer kit

honda atv big red 300 speedometer cables

honda big red speedometer

how to add a speedometer to an atv

how to make speedometer for a tv's

how to put a speedometer on a atv

how to put a speedometer on an atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.