Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #3178
View shiboy0721's Photo Gallery(0)
400ex Spittin N Sputtern

ok here it is summer time in Alaska again and i want to correct something before i go riding this summer. last summer when ever i would hit a puddle of water more then a few inches deep my 400EX would basically only want to idle, i would be hauling balls and splash thru a puddle and about ten seconds later she starts spitting and sputtering and if you give it any gas she dies. but she will fire right back up...... no water is getting in the air box im sure of that and the spark plug is good and is staying dry the spark wire is good what else could it be im at a loss and with break up almost over there is a ton of water sitting in all the good spots

thanks in advance
shiboy0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
I don't know if it's the problem or not, but try putting dielectric grease on all your electrical connections.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #9456
View gottaroost's Photo Gallery(0)
Hmm...maybe you have an exposed wire somewhere that when water hits there, it makes a temporary ground to your frame. Also make sure all your breathers are clear of debris, maybe the water is either plugging one that should not be plugged, or getting sucked up when it shouldnt. There are probably several topics on rerouting your hoses to minimize it taking in water so easily.

2008 Raptor 700SE
2002 400EX
2010 Raptor 250
2008 Raptor 250
gottaroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #5283
View DAN400ex's Photo Gallery(0)
The first thing I would do is check and see if you have water in the airbox if you haven’t already. I was cleaning up my quad two days ago and found a 1/4 inch of water in my airbox, I was shocked. Out side of that I would check the carb and clean it out real good. Thats really all I can think of for sputtering unless you took off a mod recently and your jetted to rich.

42 pilot jet
Stage 2 Dynojet kit
K&N Powerlid
Lexx MXe slip on
Armadillo full body and swing arm skid plates.
450r front suspension

Dan in VA

DAN400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #7182
View my5sons's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN400ex View Post
The first thing I would do is check and see if you have water in the airbox if you havenít already. I was cleaning up my quad two days ago and found a 1/4 inch of water in my airbox, I was shocked. Out side of that I would check the carb and clean it out real good. Thats really all I can think of for sputtering unless you took off a mod recently and your jetted to rich.
Yeah, I'm thinking you might be getting water into your carb through the intake tube or something? Look for cracks/holes or something? It gets enough water in there to flood the carb maybe?

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #126
View tomgodd's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 2 times
I would first follow Helmuts advice. If that does not solve it follow Dan400's advice. I would only do one at a time so I would know what was causing the problem.
tomgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #3178
View shiboy0721's Photo Gallery(0)
ok so after fiddlin with the her for a few hours yesterday i think i have solved the idle only problem.... again reading and scanning and more reading here i think she is flooding because i bog down while in the water and then idle only for a bit and then im off again and yesterday she was back firing almost everytime i would down shift so I think a rejet is in order along with a new exhaust kit but i need on that will hold her under 96dBs any ideas?
shiboy0721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
HMFs usually break that 96db sound level as do most aftermarket exhausts...If they make a Supertrapp for your bike,it can be quieted down by adding more discs,or it can breathe easier,and be louder by removing discs...You could always buy a stealth add on muffler that goes behind your HMF/FMF/aftermarket muffler that can be put on,or removed fairly easily if you go that route...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2001 400ex spits and sputter
400 ex sputtering up top
400ex breaking up
400ex dies when going through water puddles
400ex spits gas

400ex sputtering

400ex water in gas
atv 4wheeler when u give it gas it spits and sputters
atv spittin and sputtering
atv sputters and stalls when splashing through mud puddles?

honda 400ex sputtering

water in gas 400ex
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.