Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10022
View redman4264's Photo Gallery(0)
2001 rancher es will not shift

Hi guys,

New to the forum. A little history, my son got a 2001 350 rancher es 4x4 from his great grandfather. It has a little less than 1000 miles and less than 200 hrs on it. It has been very well taken care of other than setting up for over a year. Well after a good carb and tank cleaning I got it running like new. I read there was a few recalls of sorts on it, however I am pretty sure he never took it in, and they are long expired by now.

Today my son was riding and and it got stuck in second gear. I turned it off then back on and it still would not shift with the es. I put on the manual shifter and got it back into neutral (it made a weird metal rubbing together sort of noise when down shifting ). Started it back up and the es still would not work so I tried the manual shifter and it will not work either. It seemed as if it shifted up into 1st gear, and the display even shows it in 1st gear, but it acts as if it is still in neutral. Only rev when gas is pressed kinda as if it is stuck between neutral and 1st. Also it will not shift back down or at all with manual or es.

You can push the bike just as if it was in neutral. The manual shifter is hung and will not move at all. Can someone direct me as to what may be causing this and were to look? This is really discouraging as we have only had it 2 weeks and the bike is well taken care of. Thanks....
redman4264 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Welcome to the forums. If it won't shift with the manual shifter, I would start by removing the front cover and inspecting the shift linkage. With the cover off, see if you can shift with the manual shifter. If you can, the problem might be a broken gear, one of the gears that the shift motor turns. Sometimes, one of the gears will break and bind everything up, so it won't even shift with the manual shifter. If it still won't shift after removing the cover, inspect the shift linkage good and if you can't find any problems with the linkage, the problem is likely inside the transmission itself.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Click on the link below to download the service manual for your quad, if you don't already have one. A service manual will help you to understand how the shift linkage works.

Service Manual Downloads - All years

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #10022
Thanks for the link and the insight. I will check that in the morning and see what I can find. I Really hope it will not be anything to serious or something in the transmission.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman4264 View Post
Thanks for the link and the insight. I will check that in the morning and see what I can find. I Really hope it will not be anything to serious or something in the transmission.
Usually the problem will be in the shift linkage or a broken shift motor gear, but the fact that the display says it's in first gear when it's in neutral bothers me. You could have a broken shift drum. But if the shifter didn't return to the "center position" when you shifted it with the manual shifter, it could actually be in first gear and the shift linkage may be stuck and the clutch may be disengaged because of the stuck linkage. No way to tell until you inspect the shift linkage. Hopefully it's something simple and you don't have to split the transmission.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #10027
View Foreman44's Photo Gallery(0)
Talking

something else that's really common on these rides is a failure of the shift angle sensor. It screws into the back of the case and not only shifts, but tells the quadrant what gear you are in. Usually, tho, an angle sensor will give you -- when it has failed. I have seen them jam up the shift motor on occasion.
In any case, start with what Helmut told you and do a visual inspection of the linkage. could be a bent shift fork too but that's unusual on an es.
Hmm. the most common failure item in there is the shift angle sensor and hopefully after inspecting things you wind up there since it is a simple fix.
Good Luck! let us know!
Foreman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #10022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Usually the problem will be in the shift linkage or a broken shift motor gear, but the fact that the display says it's in first gear when it's in neutral bothers me. You could have a broken shift drum. But if the shifter didn't return to the "center position" when you shifted it with the manual shifter, it could actually be in first gear and the shift linkage may be stuck and the clutch may be disengaged because of the stuck linkage. No way to tell until you inspect the shift linkage. Hopefully it's something simple and you don't have to split the transmission.
Well when it hung up on me, I shifted up (manual) into first and it never engaged back down, it is kinda like when you hold up on a manual shift going into first gear. You can rev up and not go anywhere until you let the shift lever back down for it to engage. The only problem we had prior to this was the es did not want to shift when we first got it. So I just tapped the shift motor a few times and it had worked fine since then. At any rate i will find out when i get into it I guess.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Well when it hung up on me, I shifted up (manual) into first and it never engaged back down, it is kinda like when you hold up on a manual shift going into first gear. You can rev up and not go anywhere until you let the shift lever back down for it to engage. The only problem we had prior to this was the es did not want to shift when we first got it. So I just tapped the shift motor a few times and it had worked fine since then. At any rate i will find out when i get into it I guess.
Yeah, it may have went into gear and since the shifter didn't come back, the shift linkage may have the clutch disengaged. Hopefully, it will just be a problem with the shift linkage.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #10027
View Foreman44's Photo Gallery(0)
Boy, it sounds like something internal like Helmut said, but you wouldn't think it would have had any abuse... never know. The visual inspection is where you want to start in any case... If you don't have a service manual, you may as well invest in one.
Foreman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member #10022
Well, I started to tear into the front cover this morning, I think I found my problem! When I removed the shift motor it sprung into first gear and now shifts up and down. I opened up the shift motor and it seems when i tapped on it to get it working I may have tapped to hard or in just the right place anyway. One of the magnets in the motor is busted causing it to hang up!

I am so glad it was something simple and nothing wrong internally with the transmission. Guess I done more harm than good trying to get it to work. It had set up for so long I reckon was the problem to begin with. It set long enough that the petcock was so gummed up it would not deliver enough gas to run WOT. After all the cleaning I done it will no longer shut the fuel completely off! Not to mention pulling the carb 8+ times to get the gas from running out the overflow.

Thanks for the help Helmut, and Foreman44.

Seems I will be looking for a replacement motor now. Any advice on were to order one for a good price?

Last edited by redman4264; 04-27-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2000 honda rancher es wont shift
2001 honda rancher es not shifting

2001 honda rancher es wont shift

2001 honda rancher won't shift
2001 rancher es wont shift
honda rancher es will not shift

honda rancher es won't shift

honda rancher es wont shift

honda rancher won't shift

honda rancher wont shift

location shift motor 2001honda rancher
rancher es wont shift
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.