How to clean a carb - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Member
 
Mrt71's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 42
Great job Shadetree!!
Mrt71 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,423
Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt71 View Post
Great job Shadetree!!
thanks mrt71..when i get un-lazy..i'll do a write up on a trx250 fourtrax carb !..lol.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
shadetree is online now  
post #23 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Junior Member
 
swamp40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Western Ind.
Posts: 5
Thank You Helmut, I already have D/Led that manual.
I am not much of a mechanic so need all the pictures I can get ( and instruction) that manual doe's not have much of a break-down or exploded view of the carb. and I'm not having any luck finding one on the web.
Guess my next move will be to take it to the locale small engine shop, would rather do that than take a chance on screwing something up myself from lack of knowledge.
swamp40 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 24 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp40 View Post
Thank You Helmut, I already have D/Led that manual.
I am not much of a mechanic so need all the pictures I can get ( and instruction) that manual doe's not have much of a break-down or exploded view of the carb. and I'm not having any luck finding one on the web.
Guess my next move will be to take it to the locale small engine shop, would rather do that than take a chance on screwing something up myself from lack of knowledge.
Will this help? It's all I could find.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #25 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Junior Member
 
Turbalt2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
can anyone help?

stock 2000 400ex purchased about a month ago. quad ran great and is deff the best quad ive owned. it was leaking gas out of the hose on the bowl. the screw on the bowl was tight so i was told it was possible the needle valve. so my buddy has this great idea to have me get a rebuild kit and clean the carb all out and then put new jets and needle valve in.

we took it all apart put new main jet and pilot jet in and also a needle valve. the main jet screws into a tube the goes into the carb, we replaced that as well.

my quad now will not idle and will only run with choke wide open and giving it gas and it smokes a lot. can anone please help me as to what i need to do? something obviously is not right!
Turbalt2010 is offline  
post #26 of 84 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,423
Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbalt2010 View Post
can anyone help?

stock 2000 400ex purchased about a month ago. quad ran great and is deff the best quad ive owned. it was leaking gas out of the hose on the bowl. the screw on the bowl was tight so i was told it was possible the needle valve. so my buddy has this great idea to have me get a rebuild kit and clean the carb all out and then put new jets and needle valve in.

we took it all apart put new main jet and pilot jet in and also a needle valve. the main jet screws into a tube the goes into the carb, we replaced that as well.

my quad now will not idle and will only run with choke wide open and giving it gas and it smokes a lot. can anone please help me as to what i need to do? something obviously is not right!
not sure if you fixed your problem ?..but...your problem is your idle jet ?..or the hole it goes into is stopped up. remove your idle jet..and hold it up to a light, you should be able to see through the center of it ?..if not ?..then it has trash in it. it does not take much at all to stop the idle jet up. spec if your tank has rust or trash in it. the idle jet is the smallest jet out of all the jets..this is why they are a big problem in keeping clean. install a inline fuel filter..this keeps alot of trash from reaching your carb and jets.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
shadetree is online now  
post #27 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Junior Member
 
WishItWorked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
I just finished rebuilding the carb on my son's 2006 TRX90. The slow jet was completely clogged. It idles now (YEAH) but still runs crappy at the top end. The revs pulse up an down at full throttle and there is an annoying latency between hitting the throtttle and engine response. When I was cleaning up my workspace, I found the part pictured below. Anyone know where this goes?

Click the image to open in full size.
WishItWorked is offline  
post #28 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 24 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishItWorked View Post
I just finished rebuilding the carb on my son's 2006 TRX90. The slow jet was completely clogged. It idles now (YEAH) but still runs crappy at the top end. The revs pulse up an down at full throttle and there is an annoying latency between hitting the throtttle and engine response. When I was cleaning up my workspace, I found the part pictured below. Anyone know where this goes?
Yes, that's your needle jet. When you unscrewed the needle jet holder, it must have fallen out. The needle jet holder holds it in the carb. The needle jet holder is the part that your main jet screws into.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #29 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Member
 
cpapillion1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: cape may new jersey
Posts: 71
thanks shadetree but does this work for 2000 400ex as well cause i want to clean my carb up too but i think its gonna be a little tricky doing it
cpapillion1987 is offline  
post #30 of 84 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,423
Liked: 1734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpapillion1987 View Post
thanks shadetree but does this work for 2000 400ex as well cause i want to clean my carb up too but i think its gonna be a little tricky doing it
welllllllll..first..i'm not much into sport atv's ??..buttttttt..most carbs are all the same..they still have the basic parts..idle jet..main jet..and pilot jet needle..the only difference is where they may be located in your carb ?..but they work the same way. hope this helps ya.

'89 trx350D foreman 4x4...'85 vf700c magna, '83 cx650c , '03 trx450fm foreman 4x4 , 2015 Yamaha waverunner fx cruiser ho
shadetree is online now  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome