Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #9516
View mudboggin84's Photo Gallery(0)
Exclamation honda 300 4x4

I have a 300 fwd I was riding it one day and we were planning on going on a long ride that afternoon. Everything worked fine up until AB an hour before we were leaving I put it in reverse and then went to first it shifted fine then all of a sudden I went to third then tried to gear back down nothing happen so I drove it all the way back to the house and still haven't been able to gear down. It is stuck in fifth and the gear selector has a lot of slop. It is almost as of the shaft in the gear box is stripped. Has anyone experienced this or do you know where I could start to look. I have a man that wants to buy it but I will not sell it until it is fixed.
mudboggin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboggin84 View Post
I have a 300 fwd I was riding it one day and we were planning on going on a long ride that afternoon. Everything worked fine up until AB an hour before we were leaving I put it in reverse and then went to first it shifted fine then all of a sudden I went to third then tried to gear back down nothing happen so I drove it all the way back to the house and still haven't been able to gear down. It is stuck in fifth and the gear selector has a lot of slop. It is almost as of the shaft in the gear box is stripped. Has anyone experienced this or do you know where I could start to look. I have a man that wants to buy it but I will not sell it until it is fixed.
your gonna have to remove the left hand side cover..and get to the gear shifting drum....from the sound of it..your return spring is bad..what ever the problem is...it's gonna be right there in that area..sooooooo..it's tear down time !..lol. also look and see if the shifting drum's center bolt backed out..i've heard of this happening a few times..one more thing..where your return spring is ..there is a round peg that sticks out in between the return spring..sometimes this breaks off.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Welcome to the forums. First, check to make sure the foot shifter is bolted tightly to the shaft. If it is, I would start by pulling the left crankcase cover and checking the shift linkage. Sounds like something wrong with the shift linkage.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #9516
Yeah I thought I would have to tear into it. Wasn't exactly sure where to go. Currently I am putting heavy duty springs and a came in my brother in laws foreman as soon as that is done I am gonna take the cover off and check some of it out. I was able to shift it all the way to fifth by hand. I had to pull it all the way up before it would shift though. Don't have enough clearance on the down stroke to see if it will down shift at all. Thanks for the advice I will let you know what I find.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Welcome to the forums. First, check to make sure the foot shifter is bolted tightly to the shaft. If it is, I would start by pulling the left crankcase cover and checking the shift linkage. Sounds like something wrong with the shift linkage.
i almost asked if he had looked at the shifting arm ( foot shifter )..but i figured he'd already looked at it..and seen it wasn't stripped out..but..yeah..he should do that first.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #9516
Yeah it didn't look stripped. But it could be something I am over looking that is simple.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Yeah it didn't look stripped. But it could be something I am over looking that is simple.
nothing is simple...lol..if your foot arm is not moving on the shaft when you press it down..then your gonna need to remove the left hand side cover in order to get to the shifting drum area...in case you wanna save your oil..just tip your bike up on it's right side..about a 45 degree angle..and you won't have to drain your oil.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #9516
It was the foot shifter pulled it off and the spilnes are stripped. Think I may just tack weld it back on
Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
It was the foot shifter pulled it off and the spilnes are stripped. Think I may just tack weld it back on
If you weld it, get a shop towel and soak it in water and wrap it around the shaft next to the seal. This will help keep the shaft cool, so it doesn't melt the seal.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
2011 honda 300 4x4
300 4x4 honda forum
honda 300 4-wheeler repair forum

honda 300 4x4

honda 300 4x4 forum
honda 300 4x4 forums
honda 300 4x4 stuck in gear
honda 300 atv
honda 3004x4
honda atv 300
honda+300 4x4
striped gear box on a honda 300
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.