Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #9483
View DWBellows's Photo Gallery(0)
Question Drive chain question

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1985 TRX 125, a challenge for me since I really don't do small engine repairs. I have the engine running and it moves pretty well, but the drive train, which is brand new from Honda, sounds sloppy in the case. The repair manual I have is a little thin on details when it comes to the drive chain, so I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a guide or tensioner that's missing?

Otherwise the only work left to do is the rear brakes, which aren't working right now. Meh..I need something to fill the evenings.
DWBellows is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBellows View Post
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1985 TRX 125, a challenge for me since I really don't do small engine repairs. I have the engine running and it moves pretty well, but the drive train, which is brand new from Honda, sounds sloppy in the case. The repair manual I have is a little thin on details when it comes to the drive chain, so I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a guide or tensioner that's missing?

Otherwise the only work left to do is the rear brakes, which aren't working right now. Meh..I need something to fill the evenings.
did you tighten the chain from the back...too take the slack out of it ??..how loose is your chain ?.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #9483
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
did you tighten the chain from the back...too take the slack out of it ??..how loose is your chain ?.
Yeah, I did. I've got to say that was a bit of a pain to do, but I finally got it tight. Now it has about 2" of slack in it and is slapping the bottom of the guard.

Any ideas aside from re-tightening the chain again? Is it possible this chain stretched out in an hour of driving around the yard? (I was checking the brake system and charging system while driving it around.)

I'll add in here that this is my first time ever working on a quad. I'm rebuilding it for my father to use to get around when he's outside. He refuses to use one of those powered wheel chairs and thinks this will make him look cooler. I guess as long as he doesn't try any mud bogging with it!

Everything I've done has been "by the book" so to speak. I have done small engine repairs on lawn mowers and dirt bikes though.

My faith is what encourages me throughout any problems. What encourages you?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBellows View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
Yeah, I did. I've got to say that was a bit of a pain to do, but I finally got it tight. Now it has about 2" of slack in it and is slapping the bottom of the guard.

Any ideas aside from re-tightening the chain again? Is it possible this chain stretched out in an hour of driving around the yard? (I was checking the brake system and charging system while driving it around.)

I'll add in here that this is my first time ever working on a quad. I'm rebuilding it for my father to use to get around when he's outside. He refuses to use one of those powered wheel chairs and thinks this will make him look cooler. I guess as long as he doesn't try any mud bogging with it!

Everything I've done has been "by the book" so to speak. I have done small engine repairs on lawn mowers and dirt bikes though.
more than likely your chain is streched to far..easy fix..first..get a angle grinder..or even a dremel with a grinding stone..remove the chain..yeah..i know..you hate having to remove it after all you went through...lol..but git-r-done !..now..take the end of the chain ..grind one or two of the links..on the link..where the round piece sticks through the link..grind it flat..now..take a hammer and a center punch..and knock the round metal piece out..you will see it start to go out the side of the link after a few wacks..you should be able to remove the link ( or links ) this way...then just put the chain back on, just to be safe..remove one link at a time..this way you won't take too many out at once.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #9483
That's where I was heading shadetree, I just wanted to make sure it was the right move before I actually did it. And putting the chain on wasn't all that bad. I have a tool that my grandfather used on his farm equipment for pulling the chain together to put the master link in. The biggest problem was fighting with the inside guard.

Thanks for the help!

My faith is what encourages me throughout any problems. What encourages you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1985 honda atc drive chain removal

1985 honda trx 125 chain

1985 honda trx 125 drive chain
drive chain tensioner honda 125m atc

honda atc 125m tighten change

honda atc drive chain adjustment

honda atc drive chain questions

how to adjust 1985 honda atc drive chain

how to adjust chain on honda trx125

how to tighten the chain on a atc 125m

my 125m atc doesnt have a chain adjuster?
what size chain for atc 125m
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.