Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
spark plug black and sometimes falls on its face

today i was bored after puttin wheels back on recon so i took side panel off and pulled spark plug out and it was black, most of the threads were too. it was also just a little wet and when i rubbed the threads across my finger it left the soot trails across it and felt a little damp. im wondering if this normal for it to be damp and really black, the only "mod" i have is i cut the end of stock muffler off and pulled the guts out to improve sound, then rewelededit doesnt feel like it has any more oomph but sounds better. this wouldnt hurt it any would it, still has original carb settings other than i dinked with idle a little but got it back where it should be. also sometimes when at idle if i WOT it it stumbles for a few revs the takes off but not always. does this sound like it needs fuel air mixture adjusted or just a good cleaning or do i need to break down and rejet, i dont really want to if adjusting ,mixture will help. i have not done anything to it other than the idle and exhaust deal and the airbox lid is on all the time with an oem air filter. its starts nice though, if its a nice day just tap starter button and it fires up, if its cold its not as easy but thats expected. any input from yall engine wizz's would be appreciated.

Last edited by bobs330; 03-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Taking the guts out of the muffler wouldn't make it rich, it would make it lean if anything.

How long has the sparkplug been in? Do you have a good smooth, steady idle? The float valve may have stuck open sometime in the past and let it flood some. That would make the plug black.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8144
spark plug is maybe 2 or 3 months old, i think. yeah it purrs at idle. when its cold it sometimes stalls but not very often. i dont know if this makes a difference but i almost never close petcock just leave it on mostly.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
spark plug is maybe 2 or 3 months old, i think. yeah it purrs at idle. when its cold it sometimes stalls but not very often. i dont know if this makes a difference but i almost never close petcock just leave it on mostly.
Leaving the fuel on wouldn't cause a problem unless the float valve is sticking. Sometimes, a float valve will stick and then it will free itself up. That may have happened without you even knowing it and it might have flooded, causing the plug to turn black.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8144
ok. my main concern is too lean but i dont think it is. it runs really good for a 250 only sometimes does it not want to rev like it should but after about 1 sec at most it takes off.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
ok. my main concern is too lean but i dont think it is. it runs really good for a 250 only sometimes does it not want to rev like it should but after about 1 sec at most it takes off.
Yeah, better rich than lean. Just keep the oil changed regularly, but as long as it's running smooth and you don't see any black smoke, it should be OK.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #417
View TRX2fiveO's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 47 times
putting around in the trails will make a plug appear to be alot richer than the engine seems try riding it around until warm then run it in an open field or where you can strectch her legs out wind out all the gears when you get to 5th at wid open throttle hold the shifter up so it will coast shut it down while your in the throttle once you turn it off and it stops running let off the throttle and stop pull the plug and look at it then. That will give you a better reading.
07 Suzuki LTZ250 (Sons)
00 TRX350TM 4X2 (Resale bike)
01 TRX250EX (TLC Needed)
74' CB360 (future FrankenQuad)
Work in progress

JETTING

MOOSE_WAGON_makeover

2000_Rancher_build
TRX2fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8144
ok ill try that if i can tomorrow. i usually put alittle thru some technical trails butn when i can i gun it. when im on the beach i really open it up thru all the gears and run about topspeed ,dont laugh though its only 40 mph or so in the sand. i just know that if its wet its might be alil rich which i understand is better than lean..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
4 wheeler spark plug black
4 wheeler spark plug gets black
attv spark plug blackened

atv black spark plug

atv spark plug black

four wheeler black spark plugs
four wheelerspark plugs don't always spark why
what causes atv spark plug to turn black
what causes spark plug on 4wheeler to turn black
what causes spark plugs to turn black on my atv
why honda spark plugs goes black reason
why would my four wheeler spark plug turn blac
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.