Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8900
View TNRancher's Photo Gallery(0)
Just bought and have an axle issue.

Just got a 2007 rancher foot shift 4x4 tonight. Only problem I have found is that the left front axle pops in hard left turn in 4x4 and in hard turn in reverse in 2x4.

Any ideas and how bad off am I? Thanks
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
sounds like a cv joint. when they going they start popping.
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8900
View TNRancher's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks. How expensive to fix?
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
cv-joints...they need repacking of grease..or replacing..and you better op for the first...as they aren't cheap to replace..lol....depending on which one it is ??..inner..or outter ?..it can be hard...well..not hard..a greasy mess..or easy. just have alot of towels handy !..lol. only one end comes off..sooo..if your outter boot is making the poping noise..then you have to remove the inner boot and cv joint to get to the outter to replace...if your gonna just repack it with grease..then it's just a messy job..not hard at all. loosen the band clamps..pull the boot back..repackl with grease..boot back on...reclamp the boot back down..all done. reinstall the axle in bike. added : if the outter is bad..you must replace the whole axle.<-- i forgot that you can't replace the outter..my bad !
Old 03-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRancher View Post
Thanks. How expensive to fix?
depends on which cv joint it is ?..if it's the inside..then about 100 bucks or so...if it's the outter..you have to buy a half axle..and this ain't cheap.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #8144
i dont know, i dont have 4wd. i can tell you though if its like utvs i used to work on, take wheel off remove the spindle nut and the ball joint nuts, pop the ball joints apart with either the pickle fork or not reccommended but you can take the ball joint nut and put it on there alittle and whack it with a hammer but be careful not to damage threads. then you should be able to pull the hub off the shaft and then with a quick jerk the shaft should pop out of the diff, it has a spring collar to hold it in place and it can be tough to get out. oh yeah you should also take the tie rod end ball joint off too. you might have to remove brake line but prolly wont. to get shaft back in just put shaft up in the hole and give it a good push till it pops in place then reverse removal instructions to reassemble. may not be exact instructions but its a good start i hope. shadetree or helmut should know alot more than me so if they chime in, you can take it to the bank.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
i dont know, i dont have 4wd. i can tell you though if its like utvs i used to work on, take wheel off remove the spindle nut and the ball joint nuts, pop the ball joints apart with either the pickle fork or not reccommended but you can take the ball joint nut and put it on there alittle and whack it with a hammer but be careful not to damage threads. then you should be able to pull the hub off the shaft and then with a quick jerk the shaft should pop out of the diff, it has a spring collar to hold it in place and it can be tough to get out. oh yeah you should also take the tie rod end ball joint off too. you might have to remove brake line but prolly wont. to get shaft back in just put shaft up in the hole and give it a good push till it pops in place then reverse removal instructions to reassemble. may not be exact instructions but its a good start i hope. shadetree or helmut should know alot more than me so if they chime in, you can take it to the bank.
this is pretty close bobs330...sometimes all i do is remove the center wheel nut..remove the lower ball joint, loosen the a-arm bolts ( top and bottom )..then remove the shock bolt on the knuckle, lift the shock out of the way and tie it off....this lets you pull the knuckle out off the axle..then all he has to do is yank the axle right out of the differental...if he has trouble..he may need to remove the tie rod end..in order to clear the end of the axle..other than this..it's a real easy job..cept...the greasy part !..lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
oh..and remove the brake drum after you take the wheel nut off..lol
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #8144
oh yeah that would work. and there should be alot of room in there on a 420. sure eliminates alot of dismantalidge.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #8144
on the 420 it has disc fronts it the half shalf should be splined and just slide in and have antisieze or grease on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page
honda rancher cv axle wont separate

honda rancher front axle removal

how much to to replace front axle rancher 420

how to change cv boot on 420 rancher

how to change cv boots on honda rancher

how to change honda rancher 420 front axle

how to install front axle honda 2007 rancher

how to install front axle honda 2007 rancher tips

how to remove the front axle on a honda rancher 4x4

how to take a axle collar out of a 420 rancher

rancher 420 front axle removal

remove 1/2 shaft on 2007 honda rancher

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.