Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Repair & Maintenance Having problems? Doing a rebuild? All Repair/Maintenance Discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8787
View jjfourtrax96's Photo Gallery(0)
Neutral Light Not The Problem

Well I changed the neutral light on my bike and it still didnt fix my problem. The bike is still doing the same thing it has been "Not Cranking with the start button" I also opened up the diode box and everything appeared good with grease in the plugs and dry. I cant figure this out, The yellow/red wire going to the solenoid reads 12v when the start button is pushed and the green/red wire going to the solenoid reads 4.6v which it should not i believe. The green/red wire runs all the way to the neutral light itself. Ok when i remove the bulb from the socket in the neutral light the green/red terminal shows 0v with the switch on or off and the black wire that is the other terminal reads 12v with the switch on, which it should. So in other words with the bulb in it causes the green/red wire to read 4.6v which i believe it shouldnt it is supposed to be the ground. Does anybody have any ideas what would cause the ground to be reading small voltage. Thanks for any help.
jjfourtrax96 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8111
View Henry Anderson's Photo Gallery(0)
You could try replaceing you wireing harness. but it must be from the same year has you bike and model. look on Ebay for used one. Im going to do that fro my Honda Fourtrax 300fw cause I cant get the starter to work also.
In the future:
-424 locker
-front disk breaks
-ITP mudlights
-12in wheels (black)
Henry Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8787
Anybody else with anymore ideas??
Old 03-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
have you checked to make sure your starter work's ?..try jumping the solenoid's terminals with a screw driver and see if the starter spins the motor over, if it does, then you got the same prob henry has..as i told him..( this is after he said he went through all the checks )...have you checked the start button inside the handle bar switch ?..sometimes they can corrode over on the contact and spring that the button is connected too. i can tell you this..the yellow/red striped wire is suppose to have 12v when you push the start button, the green/red striped wire is ground, no power is suppose to be in this wire when you push the start button, i think your yellow/red striped wire that goes to your solenoid somewhere in the wire harness is shorting out to the frame..and causing the starter to not work..now..this is if you know for a fact your starter is good ?.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
if all checks out good as for the starter..and you can't find a short in the wire harness...only other thing i can think of..would be the nuetral switch inside the right hand side of the engine case..and this goes for you too henry.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #8787
Ok the starter is good, if you jump the solenoid it will spin over and crank. i have also checked the neutral switch and it is fine. I also have took the start button apart and everything looks great. Im talking to my local shop now because it has me puzzled. Im dropping it off today to get them to look at it.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #8111
View Henry Anderson's Photo Gallery(0)
shadetree, if the nuetral switch inside the right hand side of the engine case is bad..wouldnt the green light not turn on at all.?
In the future:
-424 locker
-front disk breaks
-ITP mudlights
-12in wheels (black)
Henry Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8787
Im taking it to the shop in the morning and hopefully I will know something tomorrow and I will post.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Anderson View Post
shadetree, if the nuetral switch inside the right hand side of the engine case is bad..wouldnt the green light not turn on at all.?
if the neutral switch on the inside of the right cover is bad..you shouldn't get a green light...all the switch does is ground out inside the motor when you go to neutral...the wire that leads to it is always hot..when you go to neutral..this grounds out inside the case..then this lets you use the electric start feature. what has me puzzled is..when you two push the start button..and the light goes out..and maybe a slight click on the solenoid, this tells me either the starter is bad..or the battery is weak..because when ya'll jump the solenoid..the starter cranks the motor over..and all your doing is bypassing the elec start feature. soooooooo..somewhere from the start button..to the solenoid is a short circuit..causeing a direct drain of power in the elec wire harness..thus..not letting the solenoind do what it's suppose to do.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfourtrax96 View Post
Im taking it to the shop in the morning and hopefully I will know something tomorrow and I will post.
yeah..let us know...as i think it's a short in the wire harness.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda ATV Technical Discussions > Repair & Maintenance

Search tags for this page

1997 honda magna start button wont work

250 honda fourtrax neutral light not working

96 fourtrax 300 has power at solenoid and starter but not at handle bars

99 honda 300 won't crank and neutral light doesn't work

honda 300 in neutral , green light off

honda 4 trax neutral light

honda fourtrax green light will not come on to start

honda fourtrax neutral light not working

honda fourtraxnutreal light dont work

honda300.neutrallight

my 1996 honda fourtrax doesnt show its in neutral

the neutral light turns off after my 350 honda foreman gets hot
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.