Honda ATV Forum banner

2009 TRX 420 M No spark

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  myz 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 TRX 420 with no spark. The problem started with a misfire and eventually the engine would quit but start right up again but still misfire as verified by spark tester. Thinking it was a coil problem I took a spare coil I had from a 2001 Honda TRX 350 and installed it. It started , ran for a few seconds then quit with no power to the switch or panel. Found the Ignition 10 amp fuse was blown, so replaced it and removed the 2001 coil and reconnected the existing coil on the machine. Now I have no spark at all as verified by tester. Have battery voltage at the coil terminals when the key is on but no spark. What did i damage by trying the 2001 coil on this machine ? Could I have damaged the ECM or some other electrical component ?

#2 ·
I highly doubt you swapping coils is/was the problem ?. it very well can be anything from the ecu ?, reg/rec ?, stator ?. all of these is where your spark is. try getting the service manual, and start trouble shooting, and see where it leads ya :).

#4 ·
Thanks. I have the manual and have done a bunch of tests, but I do not have a voltage peak tester for my multimeter so I cannot check for the peak voltage of 100v minimum at the coil. I have battery voltage but cannot read peak voltage, any resistance readings for the primary and seconary of the coil ?

#5 ·
key on, battery good, you should see a green neutral light on ?, if your not getting a neutral light ?, it won't spark the plug.

#7 ·
you can thank Honda for adding all this stupid air sensors, speed sensors, and what ever else that is useless ??!!..lol.you can thank fuel injection for having all this crap on them !..lol. I sure love my old girl ( 1989 trx350D foreman ), she don't have all this wasted electric crap on her !..lmao.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, looked at wiring and a number of things as suggested but gave up and sent it off to the loacl Honda dealer to get it repaired, probably PCM or CDI I am thinking. The blown 10 amp ignition fuse after I ran it for less than a minute with the coil from a 2001 Honda TRX 350 seemed to be the frosting on the cake as it never had spark after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.