Honda ATV Forum banner

1985 trx250 3way builds

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  heavychevy7279 
#1 ·
Last summer I picked up 2 1985 trx250 and a 1987 trx250. I'm trying to at least make 2 good running wheelers. Want to take one and make it little sporty lower it little and do some custom lights and bumpers. And another one I'd like to make a mudder, mount winch and custom bumpers and lights. I know it's only 2 wheel drive but with good tires and ground clearance you can go through a lot.

Any tips or ideas or parts sites would be greatly appreciated. Only have one set of plastics. so I'd like to try to fit just about any random plastics on but I'll see what I can come up with

So far I got one on the 1985s motor takin apart had a stuck valve was able to get it unstuck. Got to see if I can get away with reusing the valve and guide. Going to hone the cylinder and measure it this weekend and get a parts list make up and start ordering.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
for bumpers and such ?, unless your really good at fabbing these ?, your not going to find any one that makes them , not that I know of anyway ?. these are utility atvs, they were never meant to be sport atvs ?, sooo..your only choice is to make all your own parts. take the winch mounting plate for starters ?, they never made a mounting plate for that atv model ?, soooo, you must fab your own. as for making one into a 4wd type ?, well..yes..it may look good to you ?, but !!. the problem your going to run into, is the j-shock mounts only allow you so much lift ?, if you go to far up ?, your tie rods are going to drag the frame. these are just a few things off the top of my head from memory :). oh, and you can't go to large of tires !, because the fender flares will bottom out on them !.

Reactions: misterclean59
#4 ·
Was planning on some fab work, I'm pretty good with a grinder and welder. It was just thoughts and ideas I was tossing out there. Your guys ideas are appreciated to the fullest never thought of using a drum. On the 87 someone built some plywood rear fenders. They look pretty good but get in the way of the kick start I'll take pic when I get out to the garage. No flys I live up in northern wi. It's hard to find parts round here been watching Craigslist and Facebook like crazy to see if I can find anything

#6 ·
Parts are hard to find here in the UK as well, I ended up buying another ATV for spares, that may be your only option.

#16 ·
That's a good price by anybodies standards Fish, would cost £200 here!

#18 ·
Do you have their web address?

#21 ·
heavy , I think G+H charges $155 for the head job , I do the heads myself , it is not hard , you would need a spring compressor and a valve lapping stick with grinding compound , unless you have a bent valve stem or valve guide problem , which you said you had a valve stick on you so you might do better sending it off -------- since you have it that far down , I would suggest a new timing chain and cam sprocket , don't skimp on the sprocket , I skimped and it came back to bite me

#22 ·
Was a busy week at work finally got to do little work on the wheeler. Got all the engine parts cleaned up and all the little chunks of piston out and it's ready to go back together. Also started working on the frame/rear axle got the brakes broke free but looks like I need new bearings and new brake cable now so gonna order them up tonight along with gasket kit, piston, and see bout sending my head off to g&h and look in to timing chain and sprocket

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.