Honda ATV Forum banner

Even another MI oldtimer

654 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rednyforeman500 
#1 ·
I live on a homestead in NW. Michigan and I am rebuilding a 1999 Honda 300 Fourtrax 4wd that my son gave me. I have replaced the Carb and coil. A couple of weeks ago the thing quite running. I bought a new pulse generator and installed it but can't get the left hand case to go back on. I bought a Clymers manual for it and according to it it should just pop back on. It recommended not letting the gear shift shaft come out with the case removal but it did anyway. I can't see that would be a problem. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Thanks. If I had joined and had this link before I could have saved the thirty bucks for the book. This cover should have just gone back on. It's almost like the stator is hitting the edge of the rotor but I lined it up with longer bolts through the cover into the engine block so it should be aligned. I'll have to keep fiddling with it.

#4 ·
If the gear shift shaft came out you will have to remove the right side clutch cover. There is an arm to disengage the change clutch that splines on the end of that shaft. If you pulled the shaft out that arm has fallen off and is keeping the gear shift shaft from seating in the case all the way.

BTW, your problem is most likely the CDI box. They are common issues on a bike that old. When you get it together give it a firm tap with a screwdriver handle while pressing starter button and see if you get spark. The CDI box is under neath the front fenders on the crossbar where the rear of front rack mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.