Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Manny's Avatar
 
Member #7607
Join Date: Dec 2010
View Manny's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 6,135
Liked: 5 times
helmut is right, i was always taught to check and make sure everything is good BEFORE buying a new CDI. they say those are the last things to go tits. i hope you can find out soon, thats gotta suck. also ebay sells alot of used CDI's if you decide to replace it, but then you run the chance of that going bad prematurely.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
my5sons's Avatar
 
Member #7182
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thornton, CO
View my5sons's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 3,059
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You may have a bad ignition component. Test your ignition coil, pulse generator, and stator. If all these test good, you may have a bad CDI. If you don't have a service manual, click on the link below to download the factory service manual. It will show you how to test the ignition components.

Honda TRX300 and TRX300FW Service Shop Repair Manual_88-94, except FW skips 89 model.pdf
Just an FYI, on a TRX250EX, I tried testing the coil, pulse generator and stator. Didn't even get past the coil before realizing that a $150 fluke meter (10 years old) couldn't do peak voltage measurements. I needed a peak voltage adapter. Hope you have one.

You can follow the details here: It started as a carb problem, and ended with a no spark condition...

06 TRX250EX carburetor
__________________
.
.
> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual



1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Member #948
Join Date: Oct 2009
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 23,815
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You may have a bad ignition component. Test your ignition coil, pulse generator, and stator. If all these test good, you may have a bad CDI. If you don't have a service manual, click on the link below to download the factory service manual. It will show you how to test the ignition components.

Honda TRX300 and TRX300FW Service Shop Repair Manual_88-94, except FW skips 89 model.pdf
Just an FYI, on a TRX250EX, I tried testing the coil, pulse generator and stator. Didn't even get past the coil before realizing that a $150 fluke meter (10 years old) couldn't do peak voltage measurements. I needed a peak voltage adapter. Hope you have one.

You can follow the details here: It started as a carb problem, and ended with a no spark condition...

06 TRX250EX carburetor
You can test the components on some of the older models with just an ohmmeter. The factory service manual for the '91 Fourtrax 300 lists the specs in ohms, so you can use an ohmmeter. In the newer manuals, almost all the tests have to be done with a peak voltage tester, because the manual lists the specs in peak voltage. I guess checking the peak voltage is a more accurate method of testing. That must be why they changed to that method.
__________________
Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
my5sons's Avatar
 
Member #7182
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thornton, CO
View my5sons's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 3,059
Liked: 10 times
Cool stuff, I dl'd the manual and am going to check it against my 06 TRX250EX manual. Just want to see if I can ohm anything out. Interesting that in this manual they lean more towards testing the CDI first right?
__________________
.
.
> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual



1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Member #948
Join Date: Oct 2009
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 23,815
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Interesting that in this manual they lean more towards testing the CDI first right?
Yeah, I think they've found out that it's hard to accurately test the CDI, since that manual was published. Or that would be my guess anyway. I think most of the newer manuals say to test the other ignition components first and then replace the CDI if the other ignition components test good.
__________________
Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
gleck's Avatar
 
Member #4805
Join Date: Sep 2010
View gleck's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 4
Thanks everybody
gleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX


Search tags for this page
1988 honda trx 300 no spark
,
1988 trx 300 no spark
,
300 honda four wheeler no fire
,
honda 300 fourtrax no fire forum
,
honda 300 trx has no spark
,
honda trax 300 diode
,

honda trx 300 no spark

,
honda trx300 diode
,
honda trx300fw stator test
,
how to ignition time a trx 300
,
how to test regulator in honda 300 trx
,
trx300 no fire
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Discount Tire
Motosport.com


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.