Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #3166
View duden89's Photo Gallery(0)
400ex Cutting out

Hey guys my 400ex is cutting out above 3/4 throttle. When I first bought it, it would pop sometimes at full throttle but quickly got worse and just doesnt even fire above 3/4 throttle. It currently has some bad valve stem seals and burns a lil oil (getting fixed tomorrow), but it runs perfect up until you give it alot of throttle. Its got a new spark plug and a white bros rev box, so is it maybe just a dirty carb? Never messed with a 400ex carb before so I thought id get your guys advice before tearing it apart.
duden89 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Could be a dirty carb. Also check and make sure the accelerator pump is working. You should be able to look into the back of the carb, when you push the throttle, a stream of gas should shoot toward the cylinder. It should do this every time you push the throttle. You may have to push the throttle quickly to get a good stream.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #3749
View Dirtlover's Photo Gallery(0)
Big Gun Rev Box Issues? - ThumperTalk
This is where i was just reading about the CDI boxes and posted my question due to this page..this guy says White Bros and Yoshi..Bg gun are all made by the same company and are all crap and cause break up..very little change in revs,etc..if anyone else knows please chime in..sounds like you got what hes talking about tho..

Modquad E-brake block off
Turner 14t front sprocket
Renthal R4 Z ring chain
Pro Design case saver
ROCK shock covers front & rear
Turner Billet gas cap
ROCK cc bumper
Durablue axle
Modquad hub
Modquad Posi-lock axle nut
Rock Pro Series Nerf Bars
Houser+1 Stem and clamp
Contour bars
Houser +1 A-arms
Full belly skid by Rock
Streamline Stainless brake lines front and rear
Dirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #4224
View grasshopper007's Photo Gallery(0)
duden89 do you have the lid on your airbox? If you do take it off, if it goes away your main jet is to big. I had the same thing happen to me when I first got my 400 and thought it was the cdi bought a new one and made no change. Took the airlid off and it ran bad ass. Also check your valve lash.
Wossner 12.5:1 416 piston, Stage 2 hot cam, kibblewhite valves and springs, mild port job, billet clutch basket, Curtis Sparks ceramic coated exhaust, 1 down 1 up gearing, razr 2 fronts HD rears, powder coated (white) and gusseted frame, works tr front shocks, bunch of Pro Armor, ect. ect.
grasshopper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #3166
Airbox lid is on for now, waiting til my outerwear comes in to take it off. Accelerator pump works, it was shooting a stream through the carb when I hit the throttle. What size main jet should I be running? Its been bored to a 408, has a HMF pipe, white bros rev box, and K&N filter, and the airbox lids soon to be off. I tried taking the side plate off the carb to unhook the throttle cable, but the two screws are in tight as can be and wont come undone without stripping. About to head back out and remove carb, exhaust, and the head.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #3166
Also, how exactly am I supposed to remove the cam? I need to take the head off, will I need to re-time it no matter what? The allen head bolt holding the cam sprocket on is incredibly tight and I am gonna have to hold the sprocket tight somehow.

I tried taking the cam sprocket bolt out using a 6mm wrench on the 6mm allen key. Ended up breaking the wrench in half (used a second wrench for extra torque). Im guessing theres loctite on that bolt, if so is it ok to take a small tip and use a torch to heat up that bolt and burn off the loctite? Or is there an easier way to do this? I've ran into my fair share of PITA bolts before and this one is definately at the top of the list.

Last edited by duden89; 08-10-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
I would use an allen socket and an impact wrench, but make sure the allen socket fits real tight, because if you strip the head of the bolt it will be a lot harder to get off. Also, make sure the allen socket is a good brand or it will just end of messing the head of the bolts up.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #3450
View tap out's Photo Gallery(0)
i just picked up an allen socket set from sears, is this a good brand to use with an impact wrench? it sure has come in handy without an impact wrench.
tap out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap out View Post
i just picked up an allen socket set from sears, is this a good brand to use with an impact wrench? it sure has come in handy without an impact wrench.
It will probably work OK, just make sure it fits real tight.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #3166
Are the exhaust gaskets copper? I have a top end rebuild gasket kit and it has two copper washers i think that would fit for the exhuast but im not sure and theres no instructions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Search tags for this page
400 ex cutting out on top end
400ex cuts out
400ex cuts out full throttle

400ex cuts out top end

400ex cutting out

400ex cutting out at full throttle

honda 400ex cutting out

my four wheeler cuts out
trx 400ex cutting out on top end
what causes a 1999 400ex cut out
why does my 400ex cut out after i get on throttle
why does my fourwheeler cut off whrn i give it gas
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.