Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #21743
View fish78's Photo Gallery(0)
trx 700 xx vs.400 ex

undecided about what get. im about 6 ft 254 lbs. i have rode many 400's and I like them. I have found a few 700xx at reasonable prices and I guess I kinda like the Idea of the extra power,IRS & EFI.
Why did Honda only make them for 2 years? Looks Like they can be High maintenance with the rear end. How bad would it be to do a simple chain and sprocket? should I just stick with the 400 ex? I have noticed there are all sorts of after market parts for the 400 and not much at all for the 700.

Everybody's opinions are greatly welcomed
fish78 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #1697
View JBGill06's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
I'll see if I can give a good comparison of the two. I cannot give you an accurate description on how a stock 700 feels and rides, because I bought mine used with an exhaust and aftermarket shocks already on it. I never had a 400EX, but I have ridden my cousins plenty of times to get the hang of it. Power wise, they don't compare. The 700 is also much more comfortable ride around in the trails, especially when you are in a rough terrain. With the stage 1 elkas on my XX, it just soaks anything on the trail. It just glides over "whoops" on the rail road tracks. When you are on the 700 compared the a 400, you are going to notice how big and heavy it is. Because of how the suspension was designed, you cannot ride it like a regular sport quad. In stock form, you have to try harder. You have to put more effort into corners than a straight axle quad, because the 700 actually doesn't like to corner. But it will corner if you want it too. It has a tendency to carry the inside front tire up higher when cornering hard and fast, but it does pull around. That's what I miss about my Z400, is that I could whip it around with minimal effort whenever I wanted. I have to try a little harder on the XX. But I have more fun on the 700XX than I did on my Z400. I can ride it harder and faster in the trails without it beating on me. I love having the power. Since owning this, I have decided that I will never go down in power for my personal ATV. I have a lot of back roads to ride on, and I love going fast. 80mph comes pretty quick on it, and I never find myself trying to shift for another gear wanting to faster, as opposed to my Z400 when I was just breaking 70mph. Hill climbs are nothing for this machine. I don't bottom out in trails. Sometimes its hard to keep the front end down, all I want to do is pull wheelies. I race my cousins 400EX, and I can pass him doing a wheelie, and he's already going 65-70mph. I went down a tooth on the front sprocket and it will pull the front end up in 5th gear. Even without all the weight of the XX, I could barely get my Z400 to pull up in 4th gear. But, I have determined that the my 700XX is not a "putt around" quad. You gotta ride it hard and fast. The 400EX is more casual. The 400EX is like a basic quad. It is air cooled, doesn't need as much maintenance, not that exciting to ride. The rear end of the 700XX has a lot going on, but just like anything, you have to check on it. You have CV boots to check, and sway bar linkage to look out for. The chain though, is better protected. Because it is inside the sub frame, you don't worry about it as much. There is no flex on it, it doesn't move because it doesn't connect to a swing arm that is constantly moving up and down. Chain life will generally be longer, unless you really clutch the shyt out of it. My 700XX is 4 years old and still on the original chain and sprockets, although I swap out the fronts sprockets between the stock 14 and a 13 occasionally. I could go on, but this is all you really need to know about the XX.

700XX pros- Power for days, suspension, ground clearance, doesn't leave you tired and sore.
cons- Heavy, almost utility quad like handling, more maintenance.
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
JBGill06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #11937
View all4honda's Photo Gallery(0)
I have both and since I got the 700xx, I hardly ride the 400 any more. I can ride the 700xx all day without getting beat-up, can't on the 400ex.
The 700 has all the power you gonna need in any situation.
The 700 has 11 inches of ground clearancnce. 400 has 4 inches.
The EFI starts really nice.
No carb slide to pull with your thumb. This causes 0 fatigue at thumb throttle.
Imo, this is the best sport quad honda ever built. I run the crap out of mine. No engine work YET
I don't think the bike sold like honda wanted and it is very disappointing that they gave up on it so quick, because it will be remembered as one of the best machines ever built.
Yes the aftermarket is not there like the more popular sports and never will be. Good luck with your decision. If you don't get the 700, will you always be saying" damn I wish I would have gotten the 700xx" LOL
all4honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #21066
View fox1558's Photo Gallery(0)
I want a 700xx, I just don't have the money. If it were me thats what I'd go with though, but thats because I ride a 450r and a 400 just wouldn't be fun for me.
fox1558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #20433
View TrailCruiser's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBGill06 View Post
I'll see if I can give a good comparison of the two. I cannot give you an accurate description on how a stock 700 feels and rides, because I bought mine used with an exhaust and aftermarket shocks already on it. I never had a 400EX, but I have ridden my cousins plenty of times to get the hang of it. Power wise, they don't compare. The 700 is also much more comfortable ride around in the trails, especially when you are in a rough terrain. With the stage 1 elkas on my XX, it just soaks anything on the trail. It just glides over "whoops" on the rail road tracks. When you are on the 700 compared the a 400, you are going to notice how big and heavy it is. Because of how the suspension was designed, you cannot ride it like a regular sport quad. In stock form, you have to try harder. You have to put more effort into corners than a straight axle quad, because the 700 actually doesn't like to corner. But it will corner if you want it too. It has a tendency to carry the inside front tire up higher when cornering hard and fast, but it does pull around. That's what I miss about my Z400, is that I could whip it around with minimal effort whenever I wanted. I have to try a little harder on the XX. But I have more fun on the 700XX than I did on my Z400. I can ride it harder and faster in the trails without it beating on me. I love having the power. Since owning this, I have decided that I will never go down in power for my personal ATV. I have a lot of back roads to ride on, and I love going fast. 80mph comes pretty quick on it, and I never find myself trying to shift for another gear wanting to faster, as opposed to my Z400 when I was just breaking 70mph. Hill climbs are nothing for this machine. I don't bottom out in trails. Sometimes its hard to keep the front end down, all I want to do is pull wheelies. I race my cousins 400EX, and I can pass him doing a wheelie, and he's already going 65-70mph. I went down a tooth on the front sprocket and it will pull the front end up in 5th gear. Even without all the weight of the XX, I could barely get my Z400 to pull up in 4th gear. But, I have determined that the my 700XX is not a "putt around" quad. You gotta ride it hard and fast. The 400EX is more casual. The 400EX is like a basic quad. It is air cooled, doesn't need as much maintenance, not that exciting to ride. The rear end of the 700XX has a lot going on, but just like anything, you have to check on it. You have CV boots to check, and sway bar linkage to look out for. The chain though, is better protected. Because it is inside the sub frame, you don't worry about it as much. There is no flex on it, it doesn't move because it doesn't connect to a swing arm that is constantly moving up and down. Chain life will generally be longer, unless you really clutch the shyt out of it. My 700XX is 4 years old and still on the original chain and sprockets, although I swap out the fronts sprockets between the stock 14 and a 13 occasionally. I could go on, but this is all you really need to know about the XX.

700XX pros- Power for days, suspension, ground clearance, doesn't leave you tired and sore.
cons- Heavy, almost utility quad like handling, more maintenance.
JBGill06,
Thanks for the thorough comparison, I've been considering the same thing. I see you also have a Rincon, I've been considering that machine also. I know it's a utility quad but can you offer any comparison there also? I've been thinking of swapping our sport quads out for a Rincon for me and a Rancher AT EPS for my wife.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #19309
View honda1997's Photo Gallery(0)
Send a message via Yahoo to honda1997
trust me if you like to go fast,slide around corners going fast, or wheelie alot then stick to sport quads and id say buy a yfz450 if u want something that will handle awsome and have untamable power imo, and yes i know its a honda forum but i like to give the best advise throught all brands as im unbiased unless its a polaris (pooplaris) lol anyways a 450r with a hot cams, or a high comp piston should suffice ur power needs and not cost near as much as a 700xx and itd be faster for sure lol
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #19309
View honda1997's Photo Gallery(0)
Send a message via Yahoo to honda1997
let us know what ur leaning towards getting as of now.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #1697
View JBGill06's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
Quote:
JBGill06,
Thanks for the thorough comparison, I've been considering the same thing. I see you also have a Rincon, I've been considering that machine also. I know it's a utility quad but can you offer any comparison there also? I've been thinking of swapping our sport quads out for a Rincon for me and a Rancher AT EPS for my wife.
First let me ask you a few questions. The areas in which you and your wife ride, would you benefit more from a sport ATV or utility? If you do not need ATVs with 4 wheel drive, then I wouldn't worry about getting Utilities. But that is my opinion. Also, are you dead set on Hondas, or have you looked at other brands? I ask that, because not everyone likes the 3 speed Auto/ ESP transmission in the Rincon. It shifts much like an automatic car would, either on its own in Drive, or you shift between 3 gears on your own. I like the transmission, personally. Mostly because I have never owned anything with a belt drive automatic, so I have not been tainted. Some people feel it is geared too high because of the wide ratios. It is meant for trail riding, not working. But it will tackle most chores with relative ease. The motor, given its size, feels underpowered at times. I would contribute that to its tall geared transmission. The handling is great. In my opinion it is the best handling Honda 4x4. So far, it is the best handling 4x4 I have ridden, also. I compare it against the Suzuki King Quads, Prairie 650/700 ( older, I know), and the newer Sportsmans. While it could use a tad more ground clearance, it's not bad. The suspension, is great. At low speeds, it'll soak up just about anything, but has the tendency to bottom out prematurely. I fixed that buy adding stiffer shock springs. The Rincon suffers greatly from lack of protection up front, so it is absolutely necessary to use and aftermarket front bumper. Overall, I wold recommend the Rincon to any trail rider that does not want a belt drive.
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
JBGill06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #20918
View crankestein's Photo Gallery(0)
You are 250 +, I would go for the bigger displacement. That poor 400 is maxxing out with that much weight.

I am 165 and I got a 400ex, made the big mistake of test drive a yfz450 and also a 450r both bone stock. The next day the 400ex felt different to say the least, way under-powered to the 450 and up class. Do like the 400, all I have done is change the oil and rear brake pads, its a great all around atv.

You also have to measure who you run against, because I dont think you want to be riding all the time on the back of the pack. And cant imagine when other brands line up and are left in the dust. Be advised, dont know about you but I am saving money for a 450r or a yfz450... :-)
crankestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #21066
View fox1558's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankestein View Post
You are 250 +, I would go for the bigger displacement. That poor 400 is maxxing out with that much weight.

I am 165 and I got a 400ex, made the big mistake of test drive a yfz450 and also a 450r both bone stock. The next day the 400ex felt different to say the least, way under-powered to the 450 and up class. Do like the 400, all I have done is change the oil and rear brake pads, its a great all around atv.

You also have to measure who you run against, because I dont think you want to be riding all the time on the back of the pack. And cant imagine when other brands line up and are left in the dust. Be advised, dont know about you but I am saving money for a 450r or a yfz450... :-)
Gah, I know how it feels to be at the back of the pack....But that was when I owned my warrior. Now with my 450r I lead the pack.
fox1558 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Search tags for this page
400ex vs700ex
does honda trx 700 automatic
honda 700 ex
honda 700 ex top speed
honda trx 700
how fast does a 2008 honda trx700xx go

how fast does a honda trx 700 go

how fast is a honda trx700xx
trx 400 ex hard to shift when hot

trx 700

trx700

wwwxxcoom

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.