Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #17687
View kenmo's Photo Gallery(0)
300ex Ticking After Valve Adjustment

Just bought a used 01 300ex. It sounded great, no unusual noise coming from the engine yesterday when test riding.

I set the valve clearance today, they were very tight. I didn't measure them before adjusting, but I couldn't get an .004 in them and all 4 took at least 2-3 full turns on the adjuster screws to get to .004.

When I checked TDC I couldn't move the rockers at all, so I went another rev counter clockwise. Still everything was tight so I cranked another rev and watched the rockers, and the next time at TDC it looked like the rockers and valves were all up/seated so it I believe this would be the tdc compression stroke. All this was on a cold engine, hadn't run for at least 12 hours.

Cranked it to warm it up for an oil change and it started ticking pretty loud. It was doing nothing like this before. Idle was now also much higher, but I had just replaced the very dirty air filter with a fresh K&N, so I'm thinking the new K&N might be the cause of the higher idle.

Rode around the yard for a minute, don't notice any loss in power but didn't have a chance to get into 3rd very much. Ticking seems to be much better with the fresh oil (old oil looked pretty bad but didn't notice any metal shavings) and after 5 minutes of warming up, but it's still there and definitely was not there yesterday.

Is it possible I was still not on the compression stroke? Wondering if I should pull the plastic again to check.

Anything else I need to look for or possible cause?

Thanks!
kenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #16583
View Jabman's Photo Gallery(0)
Ok i just went through all of this with my 300ex.

Does it sound like a *tap tap tap tap* or a * clank clank clank * and sounds like its coming from the front of the bike? If you answered yes.

Then it could be the timing chain, the tensioner, the rockers, the tappets, or the cam its self.

Lets start with the easy.

To be certain it isn't the valve lash.

The easiest way to achieve TDC * for me anyways*
1. Pull the Rocker arm covers

2. As you are cranking the motor, keep your eyeballs on the Intake rockers, when you see them pressing down * this being the compression stroke * Keep turning the motor slowly line up the timing marks.

3. Give the rockers a wiggle, if they move you are on the compression stroke.

4.with no weight on the rockers * no tools * place the .004 feeler gauge into any of the tappets, you should feel a slight drag , if it doesn't slide in with ease, they are too tight, if you place the feeler under the tappet and it falls out its too loose.

5. After all is said and done, Go a full 360 and re-check the clearances.

any more questions. ring a ling us.

cheers
Jabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #17687
>Does it sound like a *tap tap tap tap* or a * clank clank clank * and sounds like its coming from the front of the bike? If you answered yes.

>Then it could be the timing chain, the tensioner, the rockers, the tappets, or the cam its self.

It's a loud tapping. Would the timing chain or tensioner be possible candidates since the noise just started after adjusting?

I read a few other threads and in the morning I plan to pull the covers and spark plug and use a straw to make sure I'm TDC on compression. Will recheck the clearances and report back.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #16583
Test the tensioner, and chain.

To do this is simple, all you need to do is, Undo the bolt on the tip of the tensioner * this makes it easier to remove while its still on the bike * Then unbolt the tensioner, stick a small flat head in the end of the tensioner, and wind it in, let go of the screwdriver, does it pop back out? If yes, then its fine.

Chain time

Try to put the tensioner back in place with the tensioner fully extended, can you get the tensioner to sit flush with the motor? if yes then it is time for a chain.

If you cannot get the tensionr to mount, the chain is probably still good.

Let us know, we will take it one step at a time.

cheers
Old 04-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11638
View Alfresco's Photo Gallery(0)
Your description sounds just like the first time I adjusted the valves on my 400ex.

My resolution was to readjust them. I set them so there was definite drag on the feeler gauge, while still allowing it to move. Instead of "slight drag on the feeler gauge", as the manual suggested, and it quieted right up.

I know yours is a 300, but this thread might help: First valve adjustment
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #17687
Thanks guys, got it sorted this morning.

It turns out I wasn't on the compression stroke last night. I watched the intake valves only today when finding TDC and the valves were very loose, so I readjusted and now she sounds like a sewing machine again.

Thanks very much for the detailed help!
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #16583
dude totally welcome!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #17822
View Deeto123's Photo Gallery(0)
06 300ex fresh oil change

hello i recently changed the oil on my 06 300ex and did the normal routine of putting gasket on the filter lubing it and all the necessary tasks to compelte the oil change with doing that i started it back up and outta no where there was a ticking sound sounds like the oil pump went bad im lost i have no idea what could be wrong anyone no of anything ? thanks brandon
Deeto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeto123 View Post
hello i recently changed the oil on my 06 300ex and did the normal routine of putting gasket on the filter lubing it and all the necessary tasks to compelte the oil change with doing that i started it back up and outta no where there was a ticking sound sounds like the oil pump went bad im lost i have no idea what could be wrong anyone no of anything ? thanks brandon
Welcome to da forums....Start a new thread for your inquiry under repair,maintenance instead of in another thread...I'd check which way I installed the oil filter,my oil level,and also check to see if I had oil in the top end by removing the valve access cover...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeto123 View Post
X2, make sure you didn't put the oil filter in backwards or it will block the oil flow. And welcome to the forums.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Search tags for this page
2006 300 ex valve settings

300ex ticking noise

300ex valve adjustment

93 honda 300ex diagram for valve settings
93 honda 300ex how do you set the valve settings
honda 300ex valve adjustment
honda 300ex valve chatter
how to adjust valves on 300ex
pictures how to set valves for a 93 honda 350 ex 4 wheeler
set valves on atv and still ticking
valve setting for a 93 honda 300 ex four wheeler
what is right ajustment for intake valves on 300 ex
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.