Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 06:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #13043
View robby2shoes's Photo Gallery(0)
1984 trx200

I just picked up this atv from a garage sale and got it running,but, i don't see a clutch.
How does it shift
robby2shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby2shoes View Post
I just picked up this atv from a garage sale and got it running,but, i don't see a clutch.
How does it shift
it's kinda like an automatic..lol..it has a foot shift on the left hand side..or should have it !!..lol..and on that same side..there should be a shift lever with a knob on it....in the middle position is low if i remember ?..then when you push it forward..it goes to high..and all the way back..is for reverse..i may have the positions backwards ??..sorry..it's been along time sinse i have worked on one !..lol..here's what i do remember..after it starts...you just lift up on the foot peg shifter..it's got a 5 speed tranny..also..i don't rememeber if it's up shift ?..or down ?..sorry bro...either way..you just push or lift through all gears...when you get back to nuetral..reach down on the bigger shift lever that has a knob on it..push it foward or backwards...you may have a hard time doing this..sometimes you have to put some pressure with the foot shifter at the same time to get the bigger knob to move ...once it moves..then you just go back to shifting again with your foot..these bikes are made with a 10 speed tranny..yes..you heard me correct..10 speed's..5 high..and 5 low..you just can't use all of the gears speeds at the same time. hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 169 times
also..sorry..i just remembered..when you try to move the bigger shift knob..you have to lift up on it some..then push it forward..or backwards..then after it goes into gear..shift with your foot shifter...thats all there is too it on these bikes.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Welcome to the forums. Yes, it has an auto-clutch. There's no lever to pull in. As you move the foot shifter to change gears, the foot shifter is attached to linkage on the inside of the transmission that disengages the clutch automatically. Just shift as you normally would on any manual clutch quad or bike, except you don't have to worry about pulling a clutch lever. Just accelerate until you need to shift into the next gear and then let off the throttle and shift into the next gear and then hit the throttle again.

As Shadetree was saying, that model has ten gears............5 low gears and 5 high gears, plus reverse. Down on the left side of the quad, you will see a shifter with a plastic knob. This is how you shift from low range to high range to reverse. Before using this shifter, make sure the ATV is stopped and in neutral. To shift into low range, pull up on the plastic knob and move the shifter all the way forward. To shift into high range, put the shifter in the straight up position. To shift into reverse, put the shifter in the rearward position. Then, push down on the shifter to engage reverse. You may have to rock the ATV a little to get the shifter to engage. Never try to move this shifter while the ATV is moving in gear. Once you have the transmission in the range you want, you will then shift with the foot shifter. All the way up is neutral. To upshift, push down on the shifter. To downshift, pull up on the shifter. This model shifts backwards as compared to most models.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #3457
View dr. feelgood's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
That's a classic quad you have there, the first made by Honda in fact. Only made in 1984

Rob
Old 09-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. feelgood View Post
That's a classic quad you have there, the first made by Honda in fact. Only made in 1984

Rob
Yep, '84 was the first and only year they made that model. That was my first quad. I owned a couple Odysseys and a lot of dirt bikes before that, but the '84 Fourtrax 200 was my first quad.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #2651
View blowfishRus6's Photo Gallery(0)
why did they do away with the low range transmission?
Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #13043
View robby2shoes's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks for the Info . Looks like I have some fun ahead.
robby2shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby2shoes View Post
Thanks for the Info . Looks like I have some fun ahead.
You're welcome.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfishRus6 View Post
why did they do away with the low range transmission?
No idea really.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Search tags for this page
1984 honda 200 trx for sale

1984 honda trx 200 for sale

1984 honda trx200
1984 honda trx200 for sale
1984 honda trx200 value
1984 trx 200
1984 trx 200 for sale
1984 trx 200 value
1984 trx200
84 honda trx 200 for sale

honda trx 200 for sale

trx 200 for sale
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.