Honda ATV Forum banner

1988 trx250x

8K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  TRX2fiveO 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a TRX250X with a ticking noise in it. We open up the top end and noticed the rocker arms were worn. We replaced those, as well as, the Cam Shaft and bearings but 4-wheeler still is ticking loud. When accelerating it gets louder and faster. Any ideas?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums...Free downloadable manuals in the Schematics/Manual help section in the Technical discussions ...Did you check the timing chain,and adjuster while you had it apart??? Maybe there's an exhaust leak???

#3 ·
how did you adjust the valves? when you installed the cam did you put it in lobes down? it's possible you adjusted them on exhaust stroke

#4 ·
Welcome to the forums.

#9 ·
Did you put a stock cam back in???The easiest way I can explain how to adjust the valves on a 250X is remove the spark plug, the side plugs on the stator cover take a 17mm socket and put in the larger hole rotate the engine counter clockwise until you allign the "T" mark with the notch in the little hole. Grab the exhaust rockers and wiggle them remember how loose or tight they were now rotate the engine 360 and allign the "T" again check the rockers, which ever way they were the loosest is TDC Compression stroke. make your adjustments there. a tight .004 int and exh. Make sure you do this with a cold engine. or you will get an inaccurate reading.

#10 ·
Would be nice if you knew whether the cam is stock,or not/what brand,and grind it is as most aftermarket cams call for different valve lashes than an oem stock cam...

#12 · (Edited)
Sounds like a stock cam, either way you need to check the lash as I described above, one other thing you need to check is the decomp lever adjustment. here are the instructions

http://

http://

#14 ·
no problem. If you need a service manual I have one and the best part????? it's free!!!! so don't try to talk me down!! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.