Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10054
View Hondanut's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda 1998 300 Fourtrax Starter

Lucky I found this forum. Spent the last hour reading different posts. Since I'm retireded (no more raises or paid holidays) I have to try to do my own repairs.

Test Light from Neg Battery Term to post on starter lights when starter switch is pressed, solenoid clicks, but motor won't even turn over. Been told that this shows starter is the problem, maybe the brushes need replacing? I read some posts here about how to remove the starter and I removed the 5 bolts holding on the Starter Reduction Gear Cover, but I can't get the cover off..it's tough - I understand there are 3? dowel pins it's located on ...so before I break something, what's the best way to remove this cover????

Thanks
Hondanut is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondanut View Post
Lucky I found this forum. Spent the last hour reading different posts. Since I'm retireded (no more raises or paid holidays) I have to try to do my own repairs.

Test Light from Neg Battery Term to post on starter lights when starter switch is pressed, solenoid clicks, but motor won't even turn over. Been told that this shows starter is the problem, maybe the brushes need replacing? I read some posts here about how to remove the starter and I removed the 5 bolts holding on the Starter Reduction Gear Cover, but I can't get the cover off..it's tough - I understand there are 3? dowel pins it's located on ...so before I break something, what's the best way to remove this cover????

Thanks
Yeah, the test light is showing that you're getting power to the starter, but make sure you have a fully charged battery and make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight. You can be getting power, but not be getting enough power as it doesn't take much to light the bulb in the test light. After you've checked those things, just to double check, I would jump the two posts on the solenoid with an old screwdriver or something and see if the starter will turn. If it still doesn't turn, then your starter is likely bad.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondanut View Post
I read some posts here about how to remove the starter and I removed the 5 bolts holding on the Starter Reduction Gear Cover, but I can't get the cover off..it's tough - I understand there are 3? dowel pins it's located on ...so before I break something, what's the best way to remove this cover????

Thanks
The gasket probably has it stuck. Try tapping it with rubber mallet or something to jar it a little and it should come off. If not, gently pry it off with a screwdriver. Just be careful that you don't damage the gasket surfaces, as they're aluminum.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #10054
Thanks Helmut - I was reading 12.4 volts on the battery - when I hit the start button it dropped initially to 12.1. I'll try jumping the solenoid first, before taking the cover off - I thought about using a screwdriver or putty knife, but now that I know I can...hear you loud and clear on damaging the gasket surfaces - been there done that on a lawnmower few years back...

I am thinking seriously about looking for a good deal on a fixer upper, with a little more power than this one - Now I know where to get answers for some of my newbie questions! Appreciate the quick response.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #2080
View ostrx250's Photo Gallery(0)
yea better find something to keep you out of the misses way hahaha
ostrx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #10054
Success!! - 1. removed Starter gear reduction cover - after tapping it with rubber hammer, gentle pressure and it came right off (no prying, but the key was to apply even pressure as two dowel pins were holding cover on). 2. Next removed gears, removed starter, scratched index marks before taking starter apart - tech manual downloaded from these forums showed me what I was facing - warned me about the washers on the gears. The tech at my local Honda shop emphasized that these washers could drop into the transmission if I was not extremely careful removing the reduction gears 3. Disassembled starter and it was easy to see that the brushes were worn out! OEM brushed were $32.00 - 4. reassembled everything - she fired right up -

thanks Helmut for your quick response and help!!!! And to ostrx 250 for understanding my priorites !
Old 04-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
That's great, glad you got it fixed!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Search tags for this page
1998 honda fourtrax 300 solenoid location
1998 honda fourtrax 300 starter
1998 honda fourtrax starter

honda 300 fourtrax starter removal

honda fourtrax 300 starter

honda fourtrax 300 starter removal

honda trx 300 starter removal
how to remove starter from 300 honda 4 wheeler
how to remove starter honda fourtrax 300
replacing starter 1998 honda 4trx atv
replacing starter on honda fourtrax 300
what would make my honda 1998 300 fourtrax atv not fire just replaced selinoid
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.