Red hot header pipes - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda TRX Discussions for the Honda TRX, 90, 250, 300, 400, 450, 700

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
bobs330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 5,349
Liked: 2 times
why does being lean cause that much heat???
bobs330 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
SlammedRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Norwalk,OH
Posts: 2,616
Liked: 189 times
I don't suspect he is reving it or the choke is causing it. Ky brother starts his up and holds the throttle to keep it idling. As do I because 400s are cold blooded and a pain to keep running when its cold. I would say your lean on the pilot. Step up to a 42 and it will start easier and won't make the header glow red. I have to hold throttle to mine the same way to keep it running until it warms up. Not reving the &%$# out of it just steady throttle till it warms up then it will idle. Get a 42 its a god send for winter or cold starts.

07 416ex
Wiseco 87mm piston(fly cut for clearance)
Stg 2 magnum cam
Kibble white +1 valves (high rev springs+titanium retainers)
Crf450 t-chain
Cometic gaskets
Gt thunder hd studs
EBC DRC Clutch
PRM skid
Hmf full pipe
UNI filter + ehs powerlid
45 pilot, 1 3/4 turns, middle clip, 190 main
razr XC tires
Team Alba (bumper,nerfs,beadlocks,+2 lt arms)
Mod quad dash
Acerbies handguards
Msr ez pull lever
Oury grips
Fasst Flexx bars
TCS triple rate front shocks
PEP rear shock
SlammedRanger is online now  
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Redracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6,616
Liked: 5 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
why does being lean cause that much heat???
The air/fuel ratio has too much air and not enough fuel. The fuel is what cools the cylinder down. The result of too much fuel is a wet/saturated spark plug, aka fouled plug.

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
Redracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
bobs330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 5,349
Liked: 2 times
duh, that makes sense.
bobs330 is offline  
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Redracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6,616
Liked: 5 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
duh, that makes sense.
No reason for the Duh... I learned the same way you are. Kudos for asking

Thank you to my 2012 Sponsors:
Dynamic Graphics, Inc.
Aurora Honda
LoneStar Racing
Leatt
Fox Shox
HondaATVForums.NET
Redracer is offline  
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Senior Member
 
my5sons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,003
Liked: 7 times
I'm not arguing with you guys about it, so don't take this the wrong way. I am certainly not saying that I am right, but with cars (ok don't kill me, but I did compare this to a car), I have had the experience of having too much fuel dump into the engine and the headers will glow red because it continues to burn inside the hot exhaust gas. Also, I have seen this with plugged up catalytic converters. Obviously, there are no cats on these things, but is it possible that it sat long enough that there is a nest or something packed inside the spark arrestor?

and timing too! But with an 08, probably not likely! Thanks for everyone's patience. I'm still learning here!

.
.
> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual



1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet


Last edited by my5sons; 03-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
my5sons is offline  
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 24 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
I'm not arguing with you guys about it, so don't take this the wrong way. I am certainly not saying that I am right, but with cars (ok don't kill me, but I did compare this to a car), I have had the experience of having too much fuel dump into the engine and the headers will glow red because it continues to burn inside the hot exhaust gas. Also, I have seen this with plugged up catalytic converters. Obviously, there are no cats on these things, but is it possible that it sat long enough that there is a nest or something packed inside the spark arrestor?

and timing too! But with an 08, probably not likely! Thanks for everyone's patience. I'm still learning here!
I've seen automobiles do this too.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Member
 
my5sons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,003
Liked: 7 times
good! So I'm not imagining, so now I just have to get this air cooled thing with the lean condition down. I understand it makes the engine hot, but still trying to figure out how it makes the headers glow red!

My thoughts are too much fuel is dumping in, spark doesn't burn it all, excess fuel ends up in the header, exhaust gases are extremely hot, and the gas ignites the unburnt fuel and gets fanned by the exhaust gas. Am I that far off on my theory here?

and, let me add another theory, that it's possible the exhaust is partially plugged not releasing all the gas, which makes it worse? No?

.
.
> Click Here for Answers to Cleaning, Compression, Jetting, Carb Issues, Model Specific problems etc.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual



1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet


Last edited by my5sons; 03-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.
my5sons is offline  
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 24 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my5sons View Post
good! So I'm not imagining, so now I just have to get this air cooled thing with the lean condition down. I understand it makes the engine hot, but still trying to figure out how it makes the headers glow red!

My thoughts are too much fuel is dumping in, spark doesn't burn it all, excess fuel ends up in the header, exhaust gases are extremely hot, and the gas ignites the unburnt fuel and gets fanned by the exhaust gas. Am I that far off on my theory here?
On an ATV, running lean does make the pipe glow, but I don't know if getting too much fuel would cause it to do that or not. The automobiles that I've seen do that have been fuel injected and the pressurized fuel kept going into the exhaust.

I don't really know why a lean engine heats the pipe up that hot, unless it's because the pipe is so thin. Could also be the extra hot exhaust gasses coming out of the head and hitting air (oxygen) in the pipe, causing an effect similar to the way acetylene torches get hotter when oxygen is introduced into the flame. Just a guess.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 11:26 PM
Junior Member
 
General_Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 14
if i hold mine off idle about 1/4 to half it will glow in about 3 to 5 min let it bakc down will clear right up of get going and it will stop glowing and yes i know this is a old thread but thought i would add to it incase somone was looking for a answer to there problem
General_Lee is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda TRX

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome