Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rincon

Honda Rincon Discussions for the Honda Rincon 650 and Honda Rincon 680.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #7401
View AlbertaHunter's Photo Gallery(0)
2008 Rincon Performance Upgrades

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but have been a frequent visitor reading many posts for the past several months. I recently retired my old machine and purchased a used 2008 Rincon with only 14 hrs. I wanted the power, an automatic tranny, the IRS, plus the legendary reliablity of a Honda, and the price was right!. We have 2 of these machines at work, one 650 carb and a 680 FI. Both are great machines but the 680 has much more snap and it starts better. I will mainly be using the machine for hunting/trail riding, but we do have muskeg in Alberta, so hunting is always more than just trail riding and it will go on the occassional rally.

My Rincon is currently a bare bones stock machine. I have a 3500lbs Viper Max winch in the garage ready to be installed, I plan on putting 26" Zillas for tires, and bush bumper to start. However, performance wise I need some experienced opinions for the following questions:

1 - K&N filter - obviously yes, but can I change the filter without causing problems with the air mixture and having to do other mods?
2 - EFI Optimizer? I believe this is similar to a performance chip, but what is it exactly? should I put it on? is it cost effective?
3 - Other cost effective performance items?

Couple other things: I'm okay with changing the exhaust in time as long as it doesn't make the machine considerably louder. I also don't want to put a gear reduction on as top end is important to my riding as we often end up riding back roads at 80 Km/hr plus for extended periods.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
AlbertaHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #4857
View Nuckingfuts22's Photo Gallery(0)
The Optimizer will reprogram your computer for the different changes you make to your quad. Installing the K&N air filter is a good start, I would also install an exhaust and there are a lot out there that have a slightly more aggressive sound without being overly loud. When you do all these mods you use the Optimizer to make the adjustments and it sends the new information to the computer and the computers adjusts the air and fuel mixture for Optimization of power. Clear as mud?

2005 Honda Rincon 650
HMF Swamp XL Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
2"lift
STI B6 Wheels
That's pretty much it... for now?!
Nuckingfuts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #3425
View 04honda's Photo Gallery(0)
If it was me I would leave the performance stock! It shouldn't loose much power with the described upgrades and I too have a 05 carbed and 08 EFI rincon all stock except for rims/tires and bumper!
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Rincon Performance Upgrades-6-19-10-tookie-s-honda-s-008.jpg  
04honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #7401
Thanks for the information and the advice. The stock power with the crappy stock tires is more than acceptable right now, and I plan on putting it to the test after upgrading the tires. My calculations on the tires show a 2% increase in circuference on the back and 4.5% on the front when comparing the stock Dunlop and Maxis manufacturer online specs, so being that the increased circumference would be the largest factor in determining the amount of power loss, the difference should be minor and hardly noticable. I prefer to keep the machine stock as I respect the honda engineers and don't want to tinker too much and cause unwanted problems, but I also wanted some experienced opinions if I feel a power upgrade is required.

Ouestion - Any brand of exhaust and optimizer you recommend if I do decide to make upgrades... I have seen lots of HMF products listed in the forums, are these top of the line?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #4857
I have an HMF Exhaust and I love it, with the quite core its about as loud as stock but with out the quite core, lets just say you can hear me a long distance off. A K&N filter is not really a performance upgrade IMO because it flows about as well as stock so really you just get a lifetime filter. I have heard a lot of people say great things about the HMF optimizer. The only thing you need to think about is the size of the times when you get to the nasty stuff. The power loss is not that bad when the trail is optimal but when you get to the nasty stuff you will need all the power you can get, mainly torque and you really get that with the exhaust.

2005 Honda Rincon 650
HMF Swamp XL Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
2"lift
STI B6 Wheels
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #4857
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04honda View Post
If it was me I would leave the performance stock! It shouldn't loose much power with the described upgrades and I too have a 05 carbed and 08 EFI rincon all stock except for rims/tires and bumper!

What brand of hand guards are those?

2005 Honda Rincon 650
HMF Swamp XL Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
2"lift
STI B6 Wheels
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #2080
View ostrx250's Photo Gallery(0)
welcome to the forum
ostrx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #3425
View 04honda's Photo Gallery(0)
They are made by powermadd. In my opinion they are more for looks than use but they still work and look good in my opinion!
04honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #7401
So that HMF Exhaust has a removable core? Is it easy to take in and out? Do you need to re-tune with the optimizer when you make the change... sorry for all the questions, but when you have a good source of information you want take the opportunity to ask.

As for the the deep thick mud, that is solved with a winch. I'm more worried about the 1100 lbs bull moose that I may need to be drag out of the bush. Maybe I'll make my partner in crime use the 450 and do the grunt work while I just take pictures.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #1697
View JBGill06's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
I have the HMF exhaust and optimizer on ny Rincon. There is a noticeable gain on bottom end power, especiallyif you put bigger tires on. I have the Swamp Series XL (extra loud) exhaust and it is really loud. It is not an exhaust you want to have if your an avid hunter. The regular swamp series is supposed to be a lot quieter, and even more so if you use a quiet core insert. But, the Rincons are plenty powerful enough stock.
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
JBGill06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rincon

Search tags for this page
2005 honda rincon 650 performance
2008 honda rincon
honda rincon 680 exhaust
honda rincon 680 performance parts
honda rincon 680 performance upgrades
honda rincon exhaust
honda rincon performance
honda rincon performance chip

honda rincon performance parts

honda rincon performance upgrades
honda rincon upgrades
rincon power increase
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.