Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
from what i've seen on both models..this 10 amp fuse is tied to the lights..looks like he has a short in his wires for his lights ??..this is what i see.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
from what i've seen on both models..this 10 amp fuse is tied to the lights..looks like he has a short in his wires for his lights ??..this is what i see.
I don't think it would be in the lighting circuit, because if there was a short in the lighting circuit, it would blow the light fuse, too. I think the problem would have to be from the point where it leaves the ignition fuse onward. Notice that after leaving the ignition fuse, the wire runs to the ECU and to the ICU and then on to the carb heater and the handlebar switch. I would try unplugging the ECU and the ICU and the carb heater, one at a time and see if the fuse blows. My money is on the carb heater being the problem.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
I don't think it would be in the lighting circuit, because if there was a short in the lighting circuit, it would blow the light fuse, too. I think the problem would have to be from the point where it leaves the ignition fuse onward. Notice that after leaving the ignition fuse, the wire runs to the ECU and to the ICU and then on to the carb heater and the handlebar switch. I would try unplugging the ECU and the ICU and the carb heater, one at a time and see if the fuse blows. My money is on the carb heater being the problem.
from what i'm seeing..the 10 amp and 15 amp fuses are linked together comming from the key switch..if there is any kinda short between the key switch and lights..the first fuses that blows will be the smaller fuse..correct ?. and it would help alot if we knew what model he has..elec or manual shift..lol..both models have different wires and fuses..lol.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
I was looking at the wiring diagram for the ES models. If this is a foot shift model, the wiring leaves the ignition fuse and passes through the ICM and handlebar switch. It doesn't pass through the carb heater on the foot shift models. Also, the foot shift model doesn't have an ECU. There may be a problem in the handlebar switch or in the wiring, itself.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
from what i'm seeing..the 10 amp and 15 amp fuses are linked together comming from the key switch..if there is any kinda short between the key switch and lights..the first fuses that blows will be the smaller fuse..correct ?. and it would help alot if we knew what model he has..elec or manual shift..lol..both models have different wires and fuses..lol.
Yeah, I agree, we need to know the model, because the wiring is different.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I agree, we need to know the model, because the wiring is different.
i totally agree...i wish memebers would read the post about posting a problem..this was put thier for a reason..we can't help them if we don't have all the correct info !..lol..between the elec shift and manual shift..they changed alot.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
At any rate, I would unplug the components from those two circuits, one at a time to see if the fuse stops blowing. I would unplug the ICU, the ECU (ES model), and the carb heater, one at a time. I would also pull the neutral and reverse light bulbs and check the sockets. On the foot shift model, the carb heater is on the lighting circuit, so it could still be the problem. Knowing the model would be a big help here.

Last edited by Helmut; 09-24-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
At any rate, I would unplug the components from those two circuits, one at a time to see if the fuse stops blowing. I would unplug the ICU, the ECU (ES model), and the carb heater switch, one at a time. I would also pull the neutral and reverse light bulbs and check the sockets. On the foot shift model, the carb heater is on the lighting circuit, so it could still be the problem. Knowing the model would be a big help here.
yep..i would start with the lights..maybe one of the sockets got water to the bulb ?..who knows !..we at least gave him a run down on what and where to check..and your right..knowing the model helps !..lmfao.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member #12832
View canoelicker's Photo Gallery(0)
hi

if it is a 350 rancher manual shift i had same problem. it was voltage regulator on frame by back wheel un plug it then see if you fuse blows if not then it is the regulator they short inside and since they are screwed to frame they short to ground and blow main fuse. mine is 2001 350 rancher fm.
canoelicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoelicker View Post
hi

if it is a 350 rancher manual shift i had same problem. it was voltage regulator on frame by back wheel un plug it then see if you fuse blows if not then it is the regulator they short inside and since they are screwed to frame they short to ground and blow main fuse. mine is 2001 350 rancher fm.
The OP's main fuse isn't blowing though, it's the ignition fuse. If the main fuse was blowing, then I would agree that it is a shorted regulator/rectifier. And welcome to the forums.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page

2002 honda foreman es lights blow fuse

2002 honda rancher 350 blowing 10 amp ignition fuse

2002 honda rancher blowing main fuse

blown fuse no spark honda rancher 350

foreman 450 blowing fuse when key is turned on

honda foreman blowing ignition fuse

honda rancher 350 blowing fuses

honda rancher 350 blowing ignition fuse

honda rancher fuses

honda rancher ignition fuse blowing

honda rancher popping ignition fuse

regulator blowing fuses on 2002 hondra trx350

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.