Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #6521
View ak_country2003's Photo Gallery(0)
Question 2002 TRX350FM Rancher Electrical Problem

I have a 02 TRX350FM Rancher. My problems are with the lights being dim and the electric start (and cooling fan too). The lights work but are always dim when on and the starter works but I already went through a battery after about a week and a half (then it just died). I'm thinking it's the regulator, and hoping it's not the stator.. I was told about a three way diode in the fuse box, does this have any significance? All the fuses look okay, haven't changed the wire harness since it was purchased. I just replaced my brush kit. And also I don't think the fan runs after the motor gets hot. I'm going to put a new battery on tomorrow and see how long it lasts, if it dies again, I think I will try a new regulator.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me.
Thanks for any help.
PS: I live in Alaska, I run it in cold weather.
It is an awesome machine, I would just like to fix the electrical problem.
ak_country2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 11-17-2010, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_country2003 View Post
I have a 02 TRX350FM Rancher. My problems are with the lights being dim and the electric start (and cooling fan too). The lights work but are always dim when on and the starter works but I already went through a battery after about a week and a half (then it just died). I'm thinking it's the regulator, and hoping it's not the stator.. I was told about a three way diode in the fuse box, does this have any significance? All the fuses look okay, haven't changed the wire harness since it was purchased. I just replaced my brush kit. And also I don't think the fan runs after the motor gets hot. I'm going to put a new battery on tomorrow and see how long it lasts, if it dies again, I think I will try a new regulator.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for me.
Thanks for any help.
PS: I live in Alaska, I run it in cold weather.
It is an awesome machine, I would just like to fix the electrical problem.
welcome to the forums. first off...cold weather will kill a battery quickly. if you can get your bike to run..take a volt meter ..set it on 12v dc..with the prongs on the right battery connections..rev the atv up..watch the volt meter..does it go up in volts as you do this ??..if it doesn't..then your stator or reg/rec is bad..i would replace the reg/rec first..being this is easier to change out than the stator. if you change out the reg/rec..and your battery doesn't last long..then your stator is bad..and this is not a job to replace if you don't know what your doing..as you will need to pull the motor in order to replace the stator.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #6521
View ak_country2003's Photo Gallery(0)
I put a new battery in last week and it just died again today, I am going to replace my regulator and see if that helps. It was working good for several days. I'm hoping all the regulator is the problem. It sounds like it is. I will try to get a voltage meter and check what you suggested. Thanks for your help.
ak_country2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
2002 honda rancher 350 regulator
2002 honda rancher regulator
2002 honda rancher voltage regulator

2003 honda rancher stator

2003 honda rancher voltage regulator

honda 2003 350 atv regulator
honda rancher stator issues
honda rancher trx350fm electrical troubleshooting
how to fix the cooling fan on a 03 honda rancher
how to test voltage reg on 2002 honda rancher
magneto for honda rancher 350
where is the stator on a honda rancher 350
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.