Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #4604
View LilRagamuffin's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda Rancher AT engine rebuild

OK guys...I have a question/concern. Today, I called my local Honda ATV dealer to get an estimate on rebuilding the top end of my 2004 Honda Rancher AT. He quoted me a price of $2500 - $3500 which is MUCH higher than the estimate I got from the dealer in MO where the ATV is located...he said around $600. The local dealer said they tear down the motor completely, don't just rebuild the top end. His reasoning is that if it was run with a dirty air cleaner or sunk in water, rebuilding the top end is a temporary fix and within a few oil changes, it would be back to it's original condition.

I got the ATV used, with the knowledge that it smoked/used oil. The guy I got it from is in the business of ATV repair, but for himself, not with a dealership. He repaired my Polaris and did an adequate job, but it didn't involve motor rebuilding. When I got the Honda, the foam air cleaner was a mess - the top rubber piece had come apart from the foam insert, but the insert itself was still covering the metal housing...this wasn't discovered until after titles were exchanged. He is going to rebuild the top end this winter as part of the deal when we swapped machines. I'm quite certain he will not be tearing apart the whole motor. I replaced the foam air cleaner with a new one.

The ATV has plenty of get up and go - it runs great, starts every time, shifts OK in automatic mode (I personally haven't used the ESP, but others have and say it's fine). It uses a lot of oil...like about a 1/2 quart every other day which is about 60 miles of riding on gravel roads, a few non-challenging trails, and pavement to get from point A to point B.

My question is...if I just do a top rebuild, will there be problems down the road where the motor will have to be torn apart?

Thanks in advance for answers/help.
LilRagamuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
If the engine has been damaged by sinking in mud and water, the normal procedure is to tear the entire engine apart, because it will have dirt inside the engine. If you rebuild the top end without cleaning the dirt out of the crankcase, it will likely just get back to the piston rings and cylinder walls and cause damage again. Some people will just try to flush the engine out with diesel or something, that might work and might not, probably not. Flushing out would be better than not flushing, though.

If the engine has been damaged by just normal wear, there shouldn't be a problem with just rebuilding the top end.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #4604
To my knowledge, it hasn't been sunk in water. Maybe ridden through the mud some. I will be the third owner. It's always been ridden at Cloud 9 Ranch in MO - a private campground resort with 100+ miles of trails - by the original owner, an older man, and the member I got it from, and now myself. I have no reason to believe he would be dishonest about it being sunk in water/mud, and other members of the the Ranch speak highly of him as being reliable and honest. I am thinking the local dealer may be looking to maximize his profit for the work.

Thanks, Helmut.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
I am thinking the local dealer may be looking to maximize his profit for the work.
I don't doubt that at all. If you trust the previous owner, then I would just go with the top end rebuild. $3,500 would be a lot of money to put in a 2004 model, you could probably buy another 2004 that doesn't need rebuilt for $3,500.

Riding through mud won't hurt them, it's sinking them in deep water and mud and getting it into the engine, that's the problem. If you feel that this has never happened, then just go with the top end rebuild.

BTW, you can usually tell if the previous owner rode in deep mud and water all the time, by looking at the color of the engine. It will be brownish looking from the mud stain.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #3457
View dr. feelgood's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
Top end rebuild should be fine. You should do it yourself and have a sense of pride when you're done. All you need is a manual and hand tools. I rebuilt a KFX 400 top end a few years back with no prior experience and it ran great when done. I've now rebuilt several other top ends, mostly on old 3 wheelers.

Rob
Old 09-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #4604
I'll be bringing my microscope with me this weekend for a thorough inspection of the engine color!!! LOL
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
too be on the safe side..try to flush the engine as much as you can..at least you will know you gave it a good bath !..lol..as for 3500 to rebuild it..this is comming from a dealer..they all mark up thier work..like 100%..lol..doing a top end job..flushing the motor real good..won't cost you a arm and leg..mostly time.
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #4604
Thanks, guys...I agree, Shadetree, on the markup. ShadeTree, being as you are also from central AR, you may know which Little Rock ATV dealer I'm referring to. I was told prior to calling they were likely to be high. If not looking to maximize their profits, they may have been hoping I'd say "no way" and trade for a new machine. I may be mechanically-challenged, but I'm not totally stupid.

I'm going with y'all's advice and have the motor flushed out prior to the rebuild and let it go at that. If the problem should reoccur somewhere down the road, I'll deal with it at that time! :-)
Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRagamuffin View Post
Thanks, guys...I agree, Shadetree, on the markup. ShadeTree, being as you are also from central AR, you may know which Little Rock ATV dealer I'm referring to. I was told prior to calling they were likely to be high. If not looking to maximize their profits, they may have been hoping I'd say "no way" and trade for a new machine. I may be mechanically-challenged, but I'm not totally stupid.

I'm going with y'all's advice and have the motor flushed out prior to the rebuild and let it go at that. If the problem should reoccur somewhere down the road, I'll deal with it at that time! :-)
yep lil' i know which dealer your talking about..lmfao..and yes..your right..they are trying to con you into buying a new atv..lmao..this is why i do all my own work..dealers...ekkkkkkkkkk..lmfao.
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page

2004 honda rancher rebuild

honda four wheeler top end overhaul

honda rancher 420 engine

honda rancher engine rebuild kit

honda rancher rebuild

honda rancher top end rebuild

how much does a atv engine rebuild cost

how much would it cost by a mechanic to rebuild upper and lower end on 2010 honda rancher 420? thumper talk forum

how to overhaul a 400a honda

how to rebuild honda rancher motor

show me how to rebuild a 350 rancher

what does a atv engines rebuild cost

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.