Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rancher11's Avatar
 
Member #3442
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: maine
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 227
start up smoke

i have an 02 rancher es that the top end was rebuilt about 120 miles ago. when i cold start it, i put the choke on, and it starts right up. i leave the choke on for about 15 seconds, then take it off and rev it up a little bit. when revving, i see some light whiteish smoke come from the pipe, is this normal or something to be worried about?
__________________
98% percent of people in the country say oh shit when they hit ice, the other 2% are from Maine and say hold my drink and watch this!

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Member #948
Join Date: Oct 2009
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 23,815
Liked: 10 times
As long as it's not using any oil and just does it a little when you first start it like that when it's cold, I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen a lot of ATVs do that.
__________________
Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rancher11's Avatar
 
Member #3442
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: maine
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 227
ok, thanks ill keep an eye on it
__________________
98% percent of people in the country say oh shit when they hit ice, the other 2% are from Maine and say hold my drink and watch this!

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Member #2048
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 18,196
Liked: 91 times
like helmut said..if it's not using oil..it should be ok..did you do a top end job on that engine ?..were the valve steam guides replaced ?..if not..they are probally leaking oil down on top of your piston. either that..or your oil rings are worn...could be running rich too..hard to tell from here..lol.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
rancher11's Avatar
 
Member #3442
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: maine
View rancher11's Photo Gallery(0)
Posts: 227
the cylinder was bored, new piston, rings and the vale seals where replaced, it burns no oil, it just smokes some white smoke when its cold. once shes warm, it starts up fine with no smoke at all.
__________________
98% percent of people in the country say oh shit when they hit ice, the other 2% are from Maine and say hold my drink and watch this!

Teddy Roosevelt once said "if you live in america learn to speak english and be american"
rancher11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher


Search tags for this page

atv smokes

,

atv smokes at startup

,
atv smokes on startup
,

atv smokes when cold

,
four wheeler smokes on start up
,
four wheeler smokes when starts up
,
honda atv smokes
,
my atv smokes when i start it
,
my fourwheeler smokes
,

why does my atv smoke

,
why does my four wheeler smoke a little
,
why would a new wheeler smoke a lil
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


» Discount Tire
Motosport.com


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.