Honda ATV Forum

Honda ATV Forum (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/)
-   Honda Rancher (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/)
-   -   I need advise on a good winch for the 420 (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/35697-i-need-advise-good-winch-420-a.html)

jcooperpcola 09-02-2013 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The Badlands 3000 is recieving good reviews also. And you can get a two year warranty also. I used one on a Rincon to pull a friends 5800lb Ford out.

jdp 09-02-2013 07:17 PM

Like Kent says The Terra is the best for the money.

dynaboob2007 09-02-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, but I have a mount question also

Lets say I choose the super mount, does it have to be a super winch mount, or will any mount for the 420 fit any winch.

kentco 09-02-2013 09:16 PM

Dyna, I couple of guys have used the Superwinch mount for their Ranchers and have had a little difficulty. They used the KFI mount and things installed MUCH easier.
So..... The Superwinch Terra (25 or 35) from Amazon.com (Your choice of wire rope or synthetic rope.
The KFI winch mount for Honda Rancher, also from Amazon.

Oh yes, the Superwinch Terra also comes with a 12' remote control that is REALLY nice to have. Except for plowing, I nearly always use my remote winch control to control my winch!

SUPERJJMJ 09-02-2013 09:45 PM

Hey you changed your pic kent

TennesseeCountryBoy 09-02-2013 09:59 PM

I saw that too I knew he was gonna change it read his rincon wheels thread. But I figured it wood be one of his quad, and it first I thought someone else on here was named kentco. Lol. And I am going to put a super winch terra 35 steel cable on my 4x4.

mrbb 09-02-2013 10:05 PM

I used a super winch mount, and to be honest, it was a little cheesy, I beefed it up, due to it would bend on a load
now its rock solid
I think most all winches of same size all have the same bolt patterens, so ods are any mount will fit most winches, if not, just have to have a new hole or two drilled to work

Skook 09-03-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentco (Post 326045)
Dyna, I couple of guys have used the Superwinch mount for their Ranchers and have had a little difficulty. They used the KFI mount and things installed MUCH easier.
So..... The Superwinch Terra (25 or 35) from Amazon.com (Your choice of wire rope or synthetic rope.

Oh yes, the Superwinch Terra also comes with a 12' remote control that is REALLY nice to have. Except for plowing, I nearly always use my remote winch control to control my winch!

kentco,

I apologize for not being a Honda owner, but I would like to ask you a question about the Terra 35 winch. Two days ago, I ordered a Terra 35 SR and a KFI mount for my 450-sized ATV. After placing the order, I began to find reviews which indicated that the winch would not fit my quad.

I noticed that KFI does not include Superwinch Terra series winches as being compatible with their mount for my particular ATV, but they do show Superwinch's LT series as being compatible. I emailed KFI, and they replied by saying that the Terra winch will not fit my ATV with their mount because it is too large of a winch.

During my Internet research, I came across a Honda Rancher owner who received the exact same response from KFI regarding their mount, Terra winches, and Honda Ranchers. KFI's website also does not list their Rancher mount as being compatible with Terra winches.

I emailed Superwinch with similar questions, but they have not yet responded.

I tried to cancel my Amazon order, but I was too late; it has already been shipped. In your opinion, do you believe KFI is just playing it safe because the Terra is a very tight fit, or do you believe it will not fit? If I understand your posts, you know people who have installed a Terra winch onto Ranchers using a KFI mount even though KFI says it won't fit. Correct?

I'm debating whether I should go through the trouble of seeing whether it will fit or just send it back without all of the hassle.

I really want the Terra winch to work for me. I posted up on a Yamaha forum, but I haven't received a response from anyone who has installed a Terra on a 450 Grizz.

Thanks for any help.

jdp 09-03-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skook (Post 326129)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentco (Post 326045)

kentco,

I apologize for not being a Honda owner, but I would like to ask you a question about the Terra 35 winch. Two days ago, I ordered a Terra 35 SR and a KFI mount for my 450-sized ATV. After placing the order, I began to find reviews which indicated that the winch would not fit my quad.

I noticed that KFI does not include Superwinch Terra series winches as being compatible with their mount for my particular ATV, but they do show Superwinch's LT series as being compatible. I emailed KFI, and they replied by saying that the Terra winch will not fit my ATV with their mount because it is too large of a winch.

During my Internet research, I came across a Honda Rancher owner who received the exact same response from KFI regarding their mount, Terra winches, and Honda Ranchers. KFI's website also does not list their Rancher mount as being compatible with Terra winches.

I emailed Superwinch with similar questions, but they have not yet responded.

I tried to cancel my Amazon order, but I was too late; it has already been shipped. In your opinion, do you believe KFI is just playing it safe because the Terra is a very tight fit, or do you believe it will not fit? If I understand your posts, you know people who have installed a Terra winch onto Ranchers using a KFI mount even though KFI says it won't fit. Correct?

I'm debating whether I should go through the trouble of seeing whether it will fit or just send it back without all of the hassle.

I really want the Terra winch to work for me. I posted up on a Yamaha forum, but I haven't received a response from anyone who has installed a Terra on a 450 Grizz.

Thanks for any help.

JD here Kent might not be on but I can tell ya there should be a thread or a sticky as it is called on how to install one an a rancher on here or maybe somebody else has put those on ranchers I seen one and I know it can be done, ya just gotta fuss with it a bit, but deffinetly dont send it back. Good winch and the KFI mount is the way to go.

kentco 09-03-2013 06:06 PM

Hi Everyone, I was up working on the trails. I stay very busy with that. After the Labor Day weekend, we had a lot of damage to fix.
Regarding my avitar picture. Yes, it's different! I'm in the process of going back to STOCK wheels. I'll still have Bighorn tires, but they will be mounted on stock wheels. There are absolutely NO aftermarket wheel manufacturers that make a wheel with a similar offset to that of the Rincon wheel. Thus, the aftermarket wheels push each wheel out about 1.5 inches, adding 3 inches to the width of my atv. Some of our trails are tight, so having a wider wheelbase is not appealing to me. Next, we have strict 50" laws on our trails. My aftermarket wheels didn't make me wider than 50", but they made me very close to it; too close for comfort.
Regarding mounting a Superwinch Terra on a Rancher. Many people (including me) have successfully mounted the Terra winches on the Ranchers. I have seen and heard of cases where a few people have found it to be a tight squeeze, but, with the KFI mount, it has ended up working very well. How well it will work on your non-Honda is difficult to say. Also, if you are a little mechanically inclined, it's generally possible to mount most any atv winch on any atv. You might have to drill a hole or two in a different place, but it's usually possible. I also recommend to anyone that you take the front plastic off any atv when you mount the winch. It just makes the job easier and faster.
Kent