Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #1790
View waterbouy66's Photo Gallery(0)
Question Proper piston ring placement

I'm still working on the rancher 350. I have had the cylinder rebored 1 size over and purchased a Numura piston and rings. My question: Is the placement of the two top rings important? The reason I ask is 1 is slightly wider (not thicker) than the other. They both say 25 on them but 1 says N and the other NR. I called Numura and the service guy seemed like he never had been asked this question before and said well put the wider one in the deeper slot. I have measured both slots for width and depth and there is no difference. Could it be I just got 2 rings from 2 different runs?
waterbouy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #805
View 69quadracer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Put each ring into the cylinder one at a time about 1/2 way down and take a feeler guage and check the gap on the rings, i think you should have around 8 to 10 thousandths gap if not you wil have to file the ends of the roing to get proper gap and usually the letters , numbers face up when in stalling the rings.
recently sold 07 TRX 450ER 14/1 CP piston/ +1 valves intake & exhaust/ 208 web cam/ High Rev valve springs/ potred & polished/bored carb by DASA/ DASA Classic exhaust / Leagers +2 MX Lt a-arms/ Ohlins Lt front & Fox Podium X DSC Rear shock and LSR DC-6 linkage/LSR duel row carrier/ lsr Axcaliber Pro axle/ Pro Armor skid & rear bumper/ Hiper Bead locks/ Quadcross Pro's/ Houser +1 stem/ Precision stablizer / Pro Taper Fat bars/ ASV levers/ Quadtech hump seat. My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 !
69quadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #1790
I did that already, what I want to know is if it matters which ring goes in what slot since mine are not identical.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #805
View 69quadracer's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Does one of the rings have a shinny finish and one a dull finish ( sides that contact cylinder) shinny ring second groove and dull finish top groove. any writing, numbers or bevelded edges always up.
recently sold 07 TRX 450ER 14/1 CP piston/ +1 valves intake & exhaust/ 208 web cam/ High Rev valve springs/ potred & polished/bored carb by DASA/ DASA Classic exhaust / Leagers +2 MX Lt a-arms/ Ohlins Lt front & Fox Podium X DSC Rear shock and LSR DC-6 linkage/LSR duel row carrier/ lsr Axcaliber Pro axle/ Pro Armor skid & rear bumper/ Hiper Bead locks/ Quadcross Pro's/ Houser +1 stem/ Precision stablizer / Pro Taper Fat bars/ ASV levers/ Quadtech hump seat. My trail ride is a 07 GRIZZLY 700 !
69quadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbouy66 View Post
I'm still working on the rancher 350. I have had the cylinder rebored 1 size over and purchased a Numura piston and rings. My question: Is the placement of the two top rings important? The reason I ask is 1 is slightly wider (not thicker) than the other. They both say 25 on them but 1 says N and the other NR. I called Numura and the service guy seemed like he never had been asked this question before and said well put the wider one in the deeper slot. I have measured both slots for width and depth and there is no difference. Could it be I just got 2 rings from 2 different runs?
the ring with N on it..goes on the top of piston..facing up..the ring with NR..goes in the second gap from the top of the piston..facing up..any piston ring always has the letter facing up..simply because the rings are tappered..you can't tell by looking at them with the naked eye..thats why the letters face up..hope this helps.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #1790
Can you tell me why the N is on top and the RN is on the bottom? Is it vital that the rings are in that order? I just installed the cylinder and don't remember which was up. I had a heck of a tome installing the spacer and bottom rings in the cylinder.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbouy66 View Post
Can you tell me why the N is on top and the RN is on the bottom? Is it vital that the rings are in that order? I just installed the cylinder and don't remember which was up. I had a heck of a tome installing the spacer and bottom rings in the cylinder.
read my other post above..the rings are lettered for the simple fact that they are tappered on the edge..and yes..it does matter which ring goes where, the very top ring is a higher compression ring than the second one...like i said..to the naked eye..you can't see the difference..trust me on this..the N needs to be on the very top grove..and the NR needs to be on the second grove facing the letters up...if they are not in the right grove..then they wont last very long...if you decide to tear it back apart, make sure they are in the right grove..and when you put them in the grove..make sure the ring space ends are at lest 60 to 70 degrees away from each other..even the oil rings..do not line the spaces of the rings up.or you won't be getting very much compression.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Here is a ring placement diagram that Moose posted before.

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #1790
Thanks for the info, I guess tomorrow I will be redoing it.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
better to do it now..then have to tear it down later..just to have to rebuild it all over again !..lol..case in point..try rebuilding a trx250 motor top end job..get it all back together..screw in the last bolt..only to look down on the bench..and see that you left out the timming chain guide !!..lmfaooooo.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
04 400ex piston ring placement

400ex piston ring assembly

400ex piston ring installation

400ex ring install

how do rings get installed on xr 400 stock piston
how much for ring job honda 400xr
how to put a 4 stroke piston together honda tx 450 foreman 4 wheeler piston ring placement

how to put rings on an 07 420 rancher

piston ring orientation honda 400ex

ring placement on 07 king quad 700 piston

which ring goes where on a piston

ytm225dr piston ring placement
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.