Honda ATV Forum

Honda ATV Forum (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/)
-   Honda Rancher (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/)
-   -   4x4 Rancher 2 Riders? (http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/honda-rancher/35307-4x4-rancher-2-riders.html)

Srecco 08-16-2013 07:28 AM

4x4 Rancher 2 Riders?

I am in the market still for a 420 4x4 honda rancher and I was wondering if I could haul two riders up a mountain side and still have the clearance to avoid undercarriage damage (Brush Cut Trails). This atv will be mainly used to haul me and another hunter up a VA mountain side to treestand drop off points. This atv will also be used to pull a small gravel rake to maintain my driveway.

Does anyone know if the 420 4x4 can handle this load requirement? One of my buddies believes it will not have enough power or have the clearance to do the needed jobs. Thoughts? Opinions?

DogRunner2 08-16-2013 07:59 AM

You're buddy needs to buy his own.The wheelbase isn't long enough for 2 up let alone climbing a hill.You're asking for trouble.

jandj 08-16-2013 02:52 PM

My wife and I hauled each other around for a year until I bought her a polaris. We really didnt have any problems, but she is only 130lbs. Get 2 fat guys on it and you may have some issues!

TennesseeCountryBoy 08-16-2013 04:59 PM

Not tryin to change the subject but If you don't need a new one get two old 300 4x4s they climb like a goat and can be pretty cheap. I like them a lot! (If you can't tell) :)

joesperformance 08-16-2013 05:54 PM

the rancher does have enough power and good enough suspension to handle 2 riders.... my 02 350 4x4 handles me and my wife and we go climbing stuff, mudding, riding, etc..... with no problems

bolin03 08-16-2013 06:17 PM

Power won't be an issue but climbing steep hills might be a little hairy. Two adults on a Rancher definitely makes the front end a little on the light side. Add that to steep hills and get ready for some two wheeled action. Lol. If the "mountain" you speak of isn't that steep then no worries. Put a small trailer behind it with a lawn chair bolted in it and just tow him up there. Lol.

TennesseeCountryBoy 08-16-2013 06:26 PM

Lol Yeah that'll work, I used to put my power wheels skidsteer loader in a trailer and take it up to the dirt trails with the 300 and play in the dirt. If you go slow he can ride on the front rack.. More uphill weight= better traction better steering and less flipping backwards. Plus if your holding a gun and riding up front, you feel like a special operative. I play a lot of Airsoft and paintball with quads for gun trucks. :)

TennesseeCountryBoy 08-16-2013 06:30 PM

Well, to be safe don't hold a loaded rifle up front! Lol pretty self explanatory. Could really mess a good riffle.

kentco 08-16-2013 09:41 PM

Strecco: The Rancher is only designed for one person. And, there are a number of reasons for that. The number one reason is that it is not designed for the load distribution that a second rider would put on it. On two-up machines (such as one's offered by Polaris and Arctic Cat), the suspension frame, length, and width are all different.

In some States and areas, you can get a ticket for riding two people on a one-person machine.
Just because 'some people do it' doesn't make it okay - especially if you care about safety.

SUPERJJMJ 08-17-2013 08:33 PM

Clearly says no passengers yea we do it to drive around another family member or friend that wants to see, at slow speeds but I'd never drive my atv the way I drive without a passenger with one it'll greatly affect your handling