Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member #25021
View Bryan's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 14 times
Well got it done thanks to the awesome guide and the tips lol, quick question that extra layer covering the rope at the end can I wind that up into the winch also?

Click the image to open in full size.
STI HD1 12"
26x9-12 Front
26x12-12 Rear
Heated Grips
Remote Start
Superwinch Terra35 w/synthetic Rope

Garmin Oregon 450 w/ Ram Mount
Join the Wisconsin Riders Group!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 306 times
Bryan, That looks NICE! Good Job. Now, you need to fix your signature so that it includes a Superwinch Terra 35! I also see that you got synthetic rope! Nice!
With the Bighorns and Superwinch, that's one good looking (and good working) Rancher.
Very Good Job.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member #28813
View Barrakoda's Photo Gallery(0)
Nice work on the install, I'm glad the manual is finding its use!

As for the synthetic rope, I don't know exactly, I don't pull my wire all the way in. I have a bungee cord attached to the front rack and I attach the clevis to that and add just enough tension to keep it tight. The wire rope is certainly a different beast than the synthetic.

As for whoever mentioned the copyright thing, heck, I prefer this kind of knowledge to be open source! Copy it, modify it, whatever. If you ever run into something while you're working on your stuff, I would encourage you to make your own manuals. Nothing beats a little frankness, fun, and clarity when it comes to how-to's and guides. Technical documentation sucks, and always has. It's never personal and you feel like you're being talked at instead of talked to.

2009 Honda Rancher 420 (TRX420FPE), Superwinch Terra 35
I do custom vinyl stickers woo!
Superwinch Install Guide (Rancher 420)
Barrakoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member #24459
View DartNorth's Photo Gallery(0)
So I set out to install my Terra 25 on the weekend and ran into some issues. I was not able to get it mounted to my my mount (superwinch mount). There wasn't enough room between the cross brace to get the winch in far enough to get the bolts in. I can get 3 bolts loosely if I don't put an spaces ( or washers as per Barrakoda's instructions). Once there is spacers in there, I am lucky to get 1 bolt in. I figure if the mount holes were moved a little bit, it would work. I emailed Superwinch, and they got back to me pretty quickly with a phone number for their tech department. And to give them credit, it was an actual tech, sounded like he was in a shop. He looked up in his records, and apparently, they have the Terra series as not fitting the Rancher. I'm a little bit disappointed, as I never saw this anywhere before. He said the mount is for the LT series, as well as Warn, and few others that are a bit smaller than the Terra's.

Barrakoda, did you have any issues like this? Anyone else?

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
Dartnorth: I have a Superwinch Terra mounted on our Rancher AT just fine. It came out great. Also, as you can see above, Bryan and others' have also mounted a Terra on their Rancher. One thing may be different though.... most of us have used the KFI mounting plate (available from Amazon.com). Also, you may have to trim a little bit of the black plastic spash guard under the front end of the atv, but, it's not something that will show, and it definitely won't hurt the integrity of the spash guard. See if you can get a KFI mounting plate! It can be done!

Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member #24459
Thanks, I'll try to get that mounting plate. There is room there, just not where the holes are currently located, and I saw that others had mounted them just fine. I guess the mount is the difference.

Thanks again.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
DartNorth: Yes, if you can get the KFI mount, I think you'll be in good shape. As you can see by Bryan's picture above, it really makes a nice installation. I see that you got the synthetic rope! Very Nice. You'll be very happy with it!

By the way, it is usually easiest to simply take the front plastic off the atv when you are putting the winch in - no matter what winch or atv you have. The little time it takes to take the plastic off is definitely worth it and will make it a lot easier for you to get the winch, and wiring in.

Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

Old 07-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member #24459
So I had heard that Superwinch had good customer service, but I'm still finding it hard to believe how well they've treated me.
I emailed about my install, got given a number to a tech, and was asked to report back with my results. The tech said that the Terra doesn't fit the Rancher ( with their mount anyway). I said oh well, and reported this back to the guy I was emailing with. He was not happy with that answer, and the next day I get an email saying:
Quote:
" Hey, how about this. I'll send you a LT3000 for the front, and you can get a reciever hitch to mount your terra to the back."
No charge, the LT was sent out today. I'm still finding it hard to believe. I'll definitly be a Superwinch Customer for life after that.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
Dart: I highly recommend Superwinch; not only because they have a good product, but (as I've said in previous posts) because of their excellent service. When some guys on this forum hear me speak about Superwinch, they think I'm just 'tootin' my horn'. However, like you, I have also received service from Superwinch that is way above and beyond what anyone would expect from any manufacturer. Wow, you'll have a very nice setup.

Do keep in mind though that if you would like to put the Terra up front, you can put it on a KFI mount. (What would be exceptionally cool is to have the Terra up front, and the LT in back. Either way, you are set!

Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DartNorth View Post
So I had heard that Superwinch had good customer service, but I'm still finding it hard to believe how well they've treated me.
I emailed about my install, got given a number to a tech, and was asked to report back with my results. The tech said that the Terra doesn't fit the Rancher ( with their mount anyway). I said oh well, and reported this back to the guy I was emailing with. He was not happy with that answer, and the next day I get an email saying:
Quote:
" Hey, how about this. I'll send you a LT3000 for the front, and you can get a reciever hitch to mount your terra to the back."
No charge, the LT was sent out today. I'm still finding it hard to believe. I'll definitly be a Superwinch Customer for life after that.
Win win situation there...Plus it keeps Superwinch on another atv without the use of another companies winch plate,smart move by someone at Superwinch...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
2013 honda rancher 420 winch mount
2013 honda rancher winch mount

how do i wire a winch to my 2010 honda rancher 420

how to install a superwinch on a atv

how to put a winch on a 2013 honda rancher es

how to wire a superwinch on an atv
installing superwinch terra 25 on honda 420 rancher

installing winch on honda foreman

mounting winch bacwards in honda forman 2013
superwinch install on 07 rancher

terra 35 sr install

will super winch tera 35 fit 2010 honda 420 rancher atv

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.