Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #22385
View CyberianHusky's Photo Gallery(0)
Question Solved!! - SuperWinch Terra 35 Installation Problem

Attempted to install the Terra 35 on my 2012 Rancher ES 2x4 today. I know many have installed the Terra 25, but I went with the 35 with SR, since it was cheaper than the 25 on Amazon...Seemed like a logical choice. The physical specs are the same except the 35 is .2 inches longer.

I thought it would simplify the installation if I purchased the Superwinch mount as well. The mount came with SAE hardware, and the winch came with Metric hardware...<sigh>

If I use the mount-supplied spacers between the mounting plate and the winch, there isn't enough clearance for the winch to line up with the mounting holes. The top of the winch drum hits the tops of the bumper.

And you can't mount the winch without the spacer, because there are two bolts connecting the plate to the bumper through a spacer, that won't allow the winch to sit flush with the plate.

If everything I just said makes no sense, then I apologize...I was hoping to appeal to the members who have installed the Terra series of winch, and maybe they could help. Otherwise, if I read this, I wouldn't have a clue either. I guess I should have scanned in a copy of the plate instructions.

I plan on contacting the plate manufacturer tomorrow, and see what they suggest. Did anyone else have a problem like this installing their SuperWinch Terra?

Thanks!

Last edited by CyberianHusky; 08-30-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Update with Fix.
CyberianHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
I didn't have any problems other than some damaged nuts. I did not use the factory plate, i used a fuse powersports mounting plate, it fit right in with no problems. I did switch out the stock mounting bolts for sae bolts due to damaged nuts. That was the only problem i can think of. If you have any questions, ask kentco or myself, were both superwinch guys loll. Also, i have a Terra 25 instead of 35.
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch

Last edited by bobs330; 08-26-2012 at 07:52 PM.
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #22385
Winch Mounting success!

To make this winch and plate work together on your 2012 Rancher, you need to buy 4 longer Winch mounting Bolts. You need to buy M8-1.25 x 30 Metric Bolts. As I said before, the bolts that come with the winch are too short, and metric thread. The winch bolts coming with the mounting plate, are SAE. The winch has captive metric nuts that are staked in the winch body. So it's easier to get the new metric bolts.

The mounting plate kit has two rectangle spacers that install between the winch and the mounting plate. If you try to install these spacers, then there's not enough clearance between the winch end drum, and the upper bumper mounting arm on the left side. Instead, I was able to use a single flat washer between the winch and mounting plate, and using the longer bolts, mount the winch to the bumper.

By the way, to make this install easier, go ahead and remove the bumper and mount the plate and winch to the bumper, then reinstall the bumper. A slight amount of plastic trimming is needed on the front grill on one side, to clear the winch freewheel knob.

I was going to upload the installation PDF file to reference the process, but the file was too big.

Now to move on to the Winch electrical installation, and finish this project.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 248 times
CyberianHusky, Glad you got it figured out - and that longer bolts were all you needed. Wow, you got a Terra35 for less than the cost of a Terra 25! That's incredible! Way to go. You'll love the winch.
By the way, did you call Superwinch, or did you just figure out the longer bolts yourself? I have found Superwinch to be extremely helpful whenever I called them.

You're also right about removing the bumper and front end stuff - no matter what type of winch a person installs. It makes the whole thing easier. And, you are also right about trimming a little bit of the black plastic; depending on the size of winch you select (of any brand).

By the way, did you get a Terra 35 with wire rope, or with synthetic rope?

Sounds like you're on the right track and MANY of us would love to have YOUR Terra35!....especially for the price you paid!

USFS Motorized Trail Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2011 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8144
X2, I paid 238 for a 25 w/steel wire at Bass pro.
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #4493
View jkhuntin's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 1 times
I didn't have any problems other than some damaged nuts.

Bobs, you're not supposed to drop the winch while sitting under the bike. LOL
27" mudlites, ITP SS212's
710 BBK and hot cams mudbuster
HMF Utility series slip on pipe
Mud bike

2004 Rancher 400AT
Bone stock
Hunting and trail bike.

2013 Rancher 420 AT.
jkhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #8144
^^^^^ hahaha that's funny. I think someone tried to install it before and stripped the threads. Just popped the rolls pins out and took nuts out and installed sae ones.
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentco View Post

By the way, did you get a Terra 35 with wire rope, or with synthetic rope?

Sounds like you're on the right track and MANY of us would love to have YOUR Terra35!....especially for the price you paid!
I got the synthetic rope...and cheaper than the 25 with rope...go figure!

By the way Kentco, just noticed Grand Lake Colorado! I love that place!!! "Snowmobile Capital of the World" so they say! I work for a company that used to put me there several times a year. In my early years, I would go skiing at various places, but later decided to try Snowmobiling...much better fit for me! The last time I was there, I traveled over 50 miles in about 2.5 hours. Had a great time! Each time I came up there, it was a road trip from Boulder. I'd like to come back and stay in Grand Lake, and I think that would be even better!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 248 times
Cyberian, Yes, Grand Lake is the snowmobile capitol of Colorado (I'm not sure about the world!). However, last winter, there was no snowmobiling because there was NO SNOW!
In the Grand Lake area, we have over 300 miles of trails. In the winter, the trails are used by snowmobiles, whereas in the summer, they are used by ATV's! I have personally adopted 9 of the major trails and I work with the Forest Service to help maintain the trails. It is very rewarding; both for me and for the public (it really helps the Forest Service as well as I am able to report any major problems to them, so that they can fix the problems). There are aggrevations as well... such as when people with side by sides, or jeeps tear down or remove gates that are designed to only let 50" ATVs or dirt bikes though, or when people with 4WD ATV's tear the trails up by riding in 2WD. But, for the most part, people take pretty good care of the trails.
If you are ever in Colorado, send me a PM and look me up.
Kent

USFS Motorized Trail Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2011 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
honda rancher terra 35
mount terra 35 on honda rubicon
superwinch installation

superwinch terra 35

superwinch terra 35 honda foreman

superwinch terra 35 installation

superwinch terra 35 problems

superwinch terra 35 troubleshooting

superwinch35 terra honda foreman wiring

terra 35 honda rancher

terra 35 superwinch
terra series winch problems
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.