Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #19123
View bamaman08's Photo Gallery(0)
Rancher reverse switch wire replacement?

First post for me, but I have used this forum to solve many problems since purchasing my rancher!

I had the common problem of my bike not switching into reverse and it was the plug coming undone from the switch on the rear of the engine. No big deal, I plugged it back up and crimped it down....good to go.

The next time I'm out I have the same problem...I bring it back and decide I would try to solder it on. Got it soldered and it worked great in a short test run at the house. Took it to get some work done at the hunting club last weekend and it went out....later on it worked....and then went out again. So, I figure the solder is not conducive and I am not getting a good connection.

Anyone else had this problem and found something to do to help keep the wire on the switch? Or should I just purchase a new cable? (looked, but couldn't find it).
bamaman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 280 times
Bamaman: The problem you are having isn't common. Could it be that something is pulling on that wire, or putting tension on it. I would have thought that soldering it would have definately taken care of the problem unless you had a cold solder joint (Remember, when soldering, you should heat the material you are going to apply solder to, rather than heating the solder - otherwise you get a cold/loose solder joint).
Normally, that wire should stay on just fine without solder, so I'd look around and see if something else is in it's way or putting tension on it.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #19123
My problem is that I use this bike for hunting, so it is always in the woods off the trail and I had limbs getting in there and pulling it off. With the solder, the plug did not pull off, but it isn't conducting power at times.

I felt that maybe as the engine was heating up it was melting the solder and making it non-conducive? Does this sound like it may be my problem?

Would my best option be to just purchase a new plug and boot?

Thanks for the help....it's kind of a pain not having reverse!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #16201
View kentco's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 280 times
Banaman,
The solder won't melt unless it is over 300 degrees, and your engine definately isn't getting that hot or you'd have serious problems. If the solder is coming off, it's an indication that you have a 'cold solder' connection. To correct that, you need to heat the material that you are soldering rather than the solder. Likewise, make sure that your solder has flux in it and that the items you are soldering are very clean.
Considering where you ride, you might also want to take a look at a number of the skid plates (protective plates) that are available for your Rancher. There are a number of very good ones that provide excellent protection to the underside of your machine. Just do a search for 'Rancher Skid Plate'. Look on Amazon and Ebay.

USFS Motorized Trail Maintenance Volunteer
Underwater Videographer
*2011 Rancher 420AT
*2012 Rincon 680

HONDA SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOADS: http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html
**When you go to the above link, scroll down and select the Honda ATV model that you are interested in. Then, the password to download the service manual is: hondaatvforums
kentco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
X2, make sure you're using solder with flux or just use flux paste on the wire and the switch. Also, maybe the reverse shift switch is going bad.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member #19123
Thanks guys. I'm going to re-solder it the correct way when I get a chance. I really hope it's not the switch....

Guess I need to save for a skid plate too!

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #19123
Alright, cleaned both connection points, re-soldered, and applied caulk to protect it from dirt and it worked like a champ last weekend! Thanks for the help guys! Hope this thread will help someone else.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Glad you got it took care of!!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
honda 400 atv 2000 es reverse switch
honda atv 400 rancher reverse shift wire
honda atv reverse shift switch
honda parts 350 rancherreverseswitch
honda rancher 350 reverse problems

honda rancher 350 reverse switch

honda rancher reverse shift switch

honda rancher reverse switch

honda rancher reverse wire
reverse switch for a 350 rancher
reverse switch honda rancher
where is the reverse switch on honda rancher
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.