Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #18795
View MorganTrail's Photo Gallery(0)
10 A ign fuse keeps blown out when i turn the key

Been having some trouble the last few days and yesterday it wouldn't start and all i could hear was buzzing so tried a boost and it ran fine and a few hrs later tird it again and it wouldn't go on a boost. Now im seeing that when i turn the key the ign fuse is burnning out? Bad wire of somebody said the PGM FI unit?? Is that the computer? The - symbol is also flashing but it doesn't stop. HELP!!!
MorganTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 27 times
if your blowing fuses ?..then this means you have a short somewhere ?...open circuit to ground will blow a fuse all day long. from your battery, trace the hot lead to your ignition..look for any bare wires touching the frame or motor ?. i don't see how a bad pgm ( c.d.i. ) can blow a fuse ?. you have a short somewhere ?.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #18939
View ratsled's Photo Gallery(0)
check for mouse\rat chewing.
ratsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #17833
View sabre54's Photo Gallery(0)
When the PGM-FI unit goes bad it can blow the 10A ign fuse, don't know why or how cause they're sealed and for added insurance, recommend replacing the regulator as well, but as shadetree mentions above check for corroded grounds or open wires first, before blowing 200 bucks for new parts.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #18795
bad CDI?

Been trying to figure out what's blowing my 10 amp ignition fuse. I put it in and blows when i turn the key. Could smell some burning and buzzing. My cdi/ecu/computer unit was hot.Seems to be diff names for it. Could that be fried or could it be a bad wire im not seeing. Went through a few wires and cant see anything. Started on a boost yesterday but wont do that anymore. The - symbol keeps flashing and doesnt stop. Im not sure what else to do. I had my fuel pump of a few days ago changing the filter. DOnt think that would have done anything

Last edited by MorganTrail; 05-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganTrail View Post
Been trying to figure out what's blowing my 10 amp ignition fuse. I put it in and blows when i turn the key. Could smell some burning and buzzing. My cdi/ecu/computer unit was hot.Seems to be diff names for it. Could that be fried or could it be a bad wire im not seeing. Went through a few wires and cant see anything. Started on a boost yesterday but wont do that anymore. The - symbol keeps flashing and doesnt stop. Im not sure what else to do. I had my fuel pump of a few days ago changing the filter. DOnt think that would have done anything
try this....look up your fuse..and see what that 10 amp fuse is inline with ?..your fuel pump ?..fan ?..see where it goes ?..where ever that fuse is in line ?..more than likely..what ever is in line with that ?..is what your problem is ?..look at your wiring diagram..and see what all is in that circuit ?. when you see something that is hooked to that fuse..unplug it..put another fuse in..turn the key on..if the fuse does not blow ?..then you found out what is blowing the fuse..orrrrrrrr..you can just unplug everything..and start pluging one thing back in at a time..when the fuse blows..then you will know what is making it blow ?.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
also..as i said before....somewhereeeeeee in the wire harness..is a bare wire..touching the frame..or motor ?..this is the only thing i know that will blow a fuse..i have never heard of a bad c.d.i. or ecm blowing a fuse..only thing that will blow a fuse is an open circuit..which means...you got a hot wire touching ground.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member #18795
I hope its a wire! My FI and Temp light was flashing a few days ago but it quit for a day then this happened
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #18795
I was using a bare wire to replace the fuse instead of blowing them all and the wire dims my lights and you can tell its drawing a lot of power. A few times it turned over but with no fuel pump coming on. The harness from the ignition to the fuse pannel is black taped from the last person
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
you just need to trace from your battery..all the way through your wire harness..up to your ignition switch..look at every inch..start at the battery..and work your way to the front of the bike, if someone has taped over the harness ?..you can tell by the color of the tape..and if they did ??..then they had the same problem your having !.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
10 amp lighting fuse on honda rubicon blowing smoke
1996 honda foreman 400 ignition blowing fuse
2006 honda foreman 500 burning ignition fuse
2006 honda forman 500 blowing ignition fuse
2006 honda formen 500 burning ignition fuse

4wheelerkeepblowingfues

burns a 10 amp ignition fuse on a 2006 honda forman
honda foreman keeps blowing ignition fuse
honda forman 500 blowing ignition fuse
honda rubicon ignition fuse
rubicon keeps blowing ignition fuse
testing foreman 500 ignition fuse
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.