Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #16844
View tjs83's Photo Gallery(0)
Ignition key switch removal?

Ok so I ordered a new black dash cover for my 07 rancher es and I am trying to get the ignition key switch out of the old cover. I have release the tabs on the backside of the cover and slid the switch out but not I cant figure out how to get the cord out? I am assuming that I need to take it loose from the harness and pull it through, but how do I remove it from the harness? The only way I can tell is through the radiator cover opening but it is so tight I will never be able to get my hand in there. Are there any other ways to access the connection? I cant see having to take the front fenders off to have to change the dash cover on this atv? Am I missing something?
tjs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs83 View Post
Ok so I ordered a new black dash cover for my 07 rancher es and I am trying to get the ignition key switch out of the old cover. I have release the tabs on the backside of the cover and slid the switch out but not I cant figure out how to get the cord out? I am assuming that I need to take it loose from the harness and pull it through, but how do I remove it from the harness? The only way I can tell is through the radiator cover opening but it is so tight I will never be able to get my hand in there. Are there any other ways to access the connection? I cant see having to take the front fenders off to have to change the dash cover on this atv? Am I missing something?
it unplugs from in the front..on the metal bracket..once you get it unplugged ?..you will need to loosen the hold down clamps that are holding the handle bars...back them out enough to raise the handle bars high enough..so you can pull the wire loop through the gap..thats all there is too it.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
and you can access the plug in..by removing the inner splash gaurds from either side of the front wheels.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #16844
Thanks shadetree! So the end that plugs into the wiring harness, (behind the radiator, below the handlebars) is smaller than the hole in the dash cover where the ignition key is correct? It will just slide through? Also I am assuming that the splash guards are bolted in? Or are those the plastic buttons? How do they come out? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #16844
Okay now I have the white connectors separated but it is still attached to the frame. How do I disconnect the top part of the wide connector from the frame and pull it up from the top? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs83 View Post
Okay now I have the white connectors separated but it is still attached to the frame. How do I disconnect the top part of the wide connector from the frame and pull it up from the top? Thanks in advance!
you will need to open up some hold down's that the ignition wire runs through..there is about 1 or 2 of them that it goes through. once you get the connector unplugged..then just pull it up through the top side..and under the handle bars. those plastic buttons are push pins...pry the center up..then work the bottom part of the pin up..then pull the whole pin out. and then loosen the screws that are holding the splash shield to the front fender from under neath the fender.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
and just so you know your unplugging the right connector for the ignition switch ?..it's a round connector.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #16844
Yes I unplugged to round white connect. But when I try to pull it up it is attached to the black bracket.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #16844
Anybody know how this works?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
I think there's a little square hole in the metal tab and the plastic connector has a tab that locks into the square hole. Usually, you can get hold of the connector and wiggle it side to side and at the same time, pull up hard on the connector and it should come off the tab. It might be hard to get your hand on it because of where it's located, though.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page

change ignition switch in honda rancher

honda rancher ignition switch

how to change ignition on 08 rancher 420

how to change ignition switch on atv

how to install an ignition key on a honda 420

how to remove honda foreman ignition switch

how to remove key switch from honda atv rancher

how to take a ignition switch out honda rancho 4 wheeler
how to take a ignition switch out of a 2013 honda 4 wheeler
how to take the ignition switch out of honda 4 wheeler
replace 350 honda quad ignation switch
ubute installing ignition for 2005 honda quad
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.