Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #7577
View riccnick's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Honda TRX420FA/FPA Transmission Functionality?

Hello to all out there, I have been searching this forum for the past couple weeks, and could not find exactly what I was looking for. I have a simple (kinda) question for all those out there who have a Rancher with the Dual Clutch Hondamatic, not the Hydromechanical Hondamatic. How does the Dual Clutch one function? Is it smooth? Durable? I am seriously considering a new one with the power steering, if not, an 04-07 TRX400FGA (the old AT with the GPS). I already own a '01 TRX350FE wich has been bullet proof, with the exception of my complete lack of maintenance to it which has caused the rear axle splines to grenade. I know, my fault. I'm usually better than that. Anyway, I've ridden a new A/T at the dealer in the cold, and the bike did not want to shift. Salesman said it was due to the fact that it wasn't broken in yet, and that all the fluid in the transmission was cold, causing the clutches to stick. I can believe that, I only rode it for about 27 seconds. How are they holding up in the real world? Thanks in advance!

riccnick is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #13949
View monumaker's Photo Gallery(0)
My 2012 is solid as a rock. I do only have 100 miles on it so far, but I run it very hard. No issues at all.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #7577
View riccnick's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 3 times
Thx monumaker, how does she run when it's cold out or when the transmission isn't warm yet? I had the one at the dealer in full auto, and it took a good couple seconds to shift, and when it did, it was very clunky.

riccnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #12675
View RancherRider420's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
I dont have an At but I do know for the first 100 miles or so my es was a little slow on shifting when it was warming up. Since I have put 600 miles on the quad it hasn't given me any trouble since.

2013 Can Am Outlander Max 1000
RancherRider420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #11745
View crazy_j225's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a 2011 at and have the same problem when it cold but once it gets warmed up it shifts really smoth sometimes I can't even fill it shift
K&N and pre filter
Hmf penland pro
Pcv
28 in s/w zillas
Extreme gear reduction (32%)
Epi comp clutch kit
Full 2in snorkel
Rad rack
crazy_j225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #172
View kroorda's Photo Gallery(0)
Riccnic: I (well, I got one for my wife) have a 2011 Rancher AT with Power Steering. It shifts extremely smoothly and nicely. As one other person noted, give it a couple of minutes to warm up and it will be good to go.
One reason that I won't even look at (or own) a belt driven machine is because they (the belt drive machines) grab suddenly when then start off from a stop. If you are trying to negotiate a difficult trail or rocks, that sudden 'grab' from a belt is really annoying. There is nothing better in the ATV market (as far as I'm concerned) than the Honda transmission. And, the best of their transmissions is in the Honda Rancher! I personally ride a Honda Rincon, but I must say that the transmission in the Rancher is superior to the one in my Rincon.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroorda View Post
One reason that I won't even look at (or own) a belt driven machine is because they (the belt drive machines) grab suddenly when then start off from a stop. If you are trying to negotiate a difficult trail or rocks, that sudden 'grab' from a belt is really annoying.
Just so you know, the Yamaha belt systems aren't like that. On a Yamaha, you can take off as slow as you want to and it won't grab like that because the belt doesn't slip when taking off. A lot of other brand ATVs use a belt system where the belt slips at idle and then when you take off, the front sheave closes and tightens on the belt and this is what makes it grab suddenly and it also causes the belt to wear quickly. The front sheave on a Yamaha always grips the belt tightly and it doesn't slip at idle because Yamahas have a centrifugal clutch behind the front sheave, so at idle, the front sheave isn't even turning and the belt can't slip. So, that means you can take off at low RPM and as slow as you want to and it doesn't grab. Also, you don't have to adjust the belt like you do on some of the other models and the belts usually last for years. I'm not trying to push Yamahas on anybody, I'm just pointing out the difference. If I'm not mistaken, Suzuki has a similar setup on the newer models, as well.

Watch the two videos below and you can see what I'm talking about. Notice the belt isn't turning at idle on the Yamaha, but on the Polaris, it is turning at idle and it has to catch and grab to take off. Then, watch the video of the Polaris and you will see what I'm talking about.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #172
Helmut, That is great to know. I have a friend who is looking at buying a new Grizzly and I'll definately pass your information on to him. The Yamaha belt drive definately sounds superior to the rest.
Thanks for letting me know!
G'day Sir!
Helmut: Perfect Videos as well. Boy, what a difference. The Polaris is nothing different than a snowmobile clutch. The Yamaha clutch is impressive!
Thanks again!

Last edited by kroorda; 01-27-2012 at 04:58 PM.
kroorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
You're welcome. Yeah, in my opinion, the Yamaha has the best belt system on the market.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #172
Good to know! I'll definately pass that on to my Yamaha buddy!
Thank you Sir!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
2008 honda 420 es transmission fluid
2009 honda rancher 420 fpa transmission

2009 honda rancher 420 transmission fluid

2012 trx420fpa es hard shifting
420 fpa trans problems
does the 08 honda rancher trx 420 take transmission fluid
honda atv trx 420 fa/fpa

honda rancher 420 transmission fluid

honda rancher transmission fluid

honda trx 420 fpa problems

honda trx420fpa problems

why is my 2009 honda rancher fpa atv power steering light on
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.