Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #7617
View firedog's Photo Gallery(0)
Honda Rancher 400 AT transmission trouble

I have 2 Rancher 400 AT, a 06 and 07 model. I just heard back from the Honda house that the Hondamatic transmission is out of the 07. The 06 Hondamatic unit went out in late 09. Both bike have less than 1500 miles on them and never misstreated, trail riding only no mudding. I am trying to find out how many more 400 have the same problem so when I have my meeting with the honda rep I have more numbers than mine.

If you own, have owned, or know of someone that has owned one that has transmission problems please let me know. Maybe together we can force Honda to make it right.

Thanks for your help
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #13599
View browningnut1's Photo Gallery(0)
Yes!!

I just picked up a 06 rancher 400 at and have the same problem. The crappy Hondamatic is junk. I cant believe that Honda would not do a recal on this trany. Honda is known for there high quality and I am very dissapointed. This machine is in mint shape and has less than 1500 miles. I am looking for this part if anybody has it. Im not about to pay $1400 for it though. I ll part my honda out b4 I spend that much on a bad part. 517-605-5101
browningnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #7617
On my continuing quest to get answers out of Honda I today contacted Honda USA Customer Services at 1-866-784-1870. I first spoke with Matt that took my information and he stated that he had no authority to do any more take information. He advised he would have a supervisor call me back. Eight hours later, after no return call from customer service I called back. Matt again stated that a supervisor had been advised and he would call me back. The supervisor, Steve MT56, then called back about five minutes later and advised that he had reviewed my case and there was nothing Honda could or would due because the atv had surpassed the warranty period. He stated all you can expect the atv to run is the length of the warranty.
Honda built an inferior product in this 400AT model as the evidence show by the amount of people having the same problem and refuses to acknowledge it and step up a take care of its loyal customers. I recommend that everyone that owns, has owned or knows someone that owns one call Steve and file a complaint with Honda. They probably will still refuse to help out but at least they will know how many customers they have lost.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #7617
I have spoke to several people with the same problem with this model. All of them stated they would file complaints with Honda. We need to keep the pressure on Honda to recall this model. Thanks to all that helped. If you would like to contact me, my email is PPSDAB@verizon.net.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog View Post
I have spoke to several people with the same problem with this model. All of them stated they would file complaints with Honda. We need to keep the pressure on Honda to recall this model. Thanks to all that helped. If you would like to contact me, my email is PPSDAB@verizon.net.
I doubt you will have any luck with Honda on this issue, because they've already quit making this model. If they were still making this model, I think you would have a much better chance of getting them to do something, but I wish you the best of luck, anyway.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #16704
View Honda400king's Photo Gallery(0)
I have the same problem with my 4002 at LEMON been die hard honda man until I had the experience with this piece honda wants to call a HONDA never been more frustrated with them they wouldn't even fix
mine UNDER warranty gave me a BS excuse as 2 y they hadn't touch it in the 8months they had it. I took it back 3 times in less than a year still the same. I agree they SHOULD recall this lemon
Honda400king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #16014
View stratos284's Photo Gallery(0)
Mine is a 2012 420 AT, I know is a different tranny in it than the 400 but the problems I have read on some is the reason I bought the 5 year warranty so I wouldnt have to shell out a couple grand for a tranny

2012 Honda Rancher AT 4x4
(Camo)
25 x 10 x 12 Swamp Lites on all fours
Douglas Rattlesnakes Wheels
Champion 2500# winch
stratos284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #16704
View Honda400king's Photo Gallery(0)
Well they wouldn't fix mine UNDER warranty with factory setup, took it up there 3times in 6months last time it sat there for 8months they kept giving me bc excuses as 2 y they hadnt fix it so fed up we went & picked it up
Honda400king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
not sure if it would help ?..but..has anyone thought of filing a complaint with thier local attorney general's office ?..and maybe seeing about filing a lemon law complaint through them ?..worth a shot !.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #18193
View chadburns3's Photo Gallery(0)
Mine is a 2004 400at, bought it new and 3 weeks later I got a whining/grinding noise from the tranny/engine area whenever I climed a steep grade or drove it up the ramps into my truck. I took it back to the dealer, they said they couldnt get it to make the noise, a month later it did it again, this time it was easy to get it to make this noise! This time the dealer did some work and when I went to pick uo my "fixed" bike it had blue gunk where they had pulled the motor apart and resealed it after changing clutches and doing a few other things that I cant remember, nice for a brand new bike huh! 1 year or so later and the same thing happened, the bike went back but this time no warranty, $1500 later and I had my bike back, I rarely ride it anymore but 7 years and 4000kms (2800mi) later she is doing the same thing! I hate this pile of garbage bike and will NEVER own another Honda (atv) as for the claim by some people on here that Honda cut the 12 month production run on these bikes to 10 months because of price, well Ive had two dealers tell me that honda cut the prod. run because of quality! Honda shoul have come good on every bike sold in 04 as far as Im concerned! If my generator and pressure washer werent so good Id be sure to never have a Honda brand again, I even told the dealer (after my sixth visit in a year and a half) if I wanted a broke down POS I woulda bought a goddamn Polaris and at LEAST have something that rode nice!!!!
chadburns3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
2004 honda rancher 400 shifting problems
400 rancher recall

at rancher transmission problem

honda 400 rancher transmission problems
honda foreman 400 transmission problems
honda rancher 400 at transmission problems
honda rancher 400 problems
honda rancher 400at problems
honda rancher at problems

honda rancher transmission problems

problems with honda rancher automatic transmission
rancher 400 at transmission slipping
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.