Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #12599
View AdrenalineJunky's Photo Gallery(0)
Tightening head issues! Help ASAP!

I am installing the head on 2006 350 Rancher. First I don't see where it says torque specs for the 2 small head bolts on the outside of the head that go down through cylinder. Second as I am torquing the cap nuts down 3 of them torque down fine and the top left 1 just keeps spinning and not biting. I started tightening them in criss cross pattern. What's the deal? Is the damn head stud spinning? Need info asap. I don't know if I should undo all the bolts and try again?
AdrenalineJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member #12599
I just removed the caps and do notice the left stud is sticking up higher than the stud on the right. I am referring to the studs that go through the rocker arm assembly. Do I need to tighten the stud down further into the case?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Torque those two bolts on the outside of the head to 7 ft-lbs. They will strip or twist off if you tighten them any more than that. I would also put anti-seize on those two bolts so they will come back out easier the next time you take them out. Those two bolts tend to seize up and twist off a lot.

For the other problem, I would try to tighten the stud down even with the other one and hope the threads aren't stripped in the case.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #12599
I can see where the top of the stud was rubbing the top of cap nut. The stud won't turn so i'd say no fear of stripped inside case. I bought some flange nuts and is there any problem with using one of these so it can torque down. Basically same nut just without the closure of the cap which will allow the stud to protrude up.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
I can see where the top of the stud was rubbing the top of cap nut. The stud won't turn so i'd say no fear of stripped inside case. I bought some flange nuts and is there any problem with using one of these so it can torque down. Basically same nut just without the closure of the cap which will allow the stud to protrude up.
It won't hurt anything to use a flange nut. I've done that myself before.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #12599
NM the valve cover won't go on all way now. I am tightening stud down!!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #12599
WOW when will this nightmare end? I screwed the stud in even with the other one. Put head back on and start torquing and the same stud will not tighten down. WTF you got to be kidding me?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #12599
Sweet stud pulled back up. That's nice. Could it have already been stripped? All i've done is take it apart and now putting back together. I couldn't have stripped it so wtf? It's my buddy's quad and i'm rebuilding it for him. I don't get it. Had to be already stripped am I right?
Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
Sweet stud pulled back up. That's nice. Could it have already been stripped? All i've done is take it apart and now putting back together. I couldn't have stripped it so wtf? It's my buddy's quad and i'm rebuilding it for him. I don't get it. Had to be already stripped am I right?
More than likely, it was already stripped. Either that or the stud turned out when you loosened the nut and and the aluminum threads in the case came out with it. Either way, there's nothing that you could have done to prevent it.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #12599
Well I tightened the stud as tight as it would go and it felt alot sturdier as it was wobbly when came up. I just tightened it as tight as it would go which was pretty tight but didn't torque it to 29ft/lb's as manual. Everything else is torqued to spec. Adjusted valves, attached header, and carb. Going to finish her up and start her up tomorrow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page

06 honda rancher head install

09 honda rancher 420 headbolt torque spec

2007 honda 420 engine torque speccs

2007 honda 420 head bolt torque specs

2011 honda rancher 420 head torque specs

head torque specs for a 2002 trx 350 rancher

honda 350 rancher head bolt torque

honda rancher torque specs and diagram

loose head bolts on handay 4 wheeler

torque for cylinder head bolt-2 wheeler

when i was torquing the head bolts one of them kept spinning honda

you tube honda 420 head specs

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.