Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10357
View MudMat's Photo Gallery(0)
IRS vs SRA opinions

Hey guys, I have a rancher 420 SRA and was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages there are between the two. I went for a ride on an IRS bike and loved the ride but if that's the only advantage and I'd be giving up something I don't think I'd want to trade up.
27" Highlifter outlaws, skinny wide
MT4000 Warn winch

"If my belt gets wet, my balls are too"
MudMat is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #8254
View stu5969's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 12 times
IRS quads have their advantages in the smooth ride regard in uneven terrain, and some extra ground clearance. The extra clearance really isn't as much as you would think though over your SRA machine. When an IRS equipped machines rear suspension is compressed it loses ground clearance, so that magic 10" measurement they list on their specifications list disappears some the minute you sit on the quad. Whereas, an SRA quads ground clearance is always the same,(unless you have a flat tire)
You have oversize tires on your atv by your signature, and that gives you in the 8.5" of ground clearance area, which IMO probably isn't much different than a loaded IRS machine. You also have much better towing ability than an IRS machine being a solid swing arm design, and better side hilling stability as well as being easier to get the rear end sideways without the I'm gonna high side feeling, and less parts to break and maintain. That being said the IRS quads are a nice smooth ride, and at my age and back condition I wouldn't mind one for those reason's. The power steering option would get my vote before the IRS though, as long as my SRA equipped machine had quality reservoir equipped adjustable shocks.
I've read about, but never ridden one before, that the Rincon IRS is the most stable atv in the business, although I'm not sure how they stack up against that simpler trailing arm IRS design by Bombardier, or Can am as they are now known.
I would save my money towards other good upgrades to your current ride if it were me. Good aftermarket shocks would be at the top of the list to give you a top notch ride,,you would be amazed at what some quality suspension parts can do to your ride. That, and until the IRS equipped 420 comes out with a manual shift version, or at least a ES edition to go along with the AT version I wouldn't buy one personally.
05 Suzuki DR650, Mikuni TM40 flatslide pumper carb,JE 10.5:1 piston,stage 2#190 Webcam,open airbox, Twin Air,full FMF system,Pingel fuel valve,Ricor Racing rear shock, Ricor Racing fork Intiminators, Progressive springs, Sargeant seat,DRZ250 tailight,custom plate,LED's,GPS,sumo fender,PT bars,Cycra brushguards IMS lowered pegs, aluminum skid,bearing chain roller,Pirelli,tank bag(gone)

06 Zuk KQ700, Kenda Bearclaw HTR radials Warn RT25 w/ syn. line, 1.5mm clutch shims
stu5969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
also at higher speeds, the sra is more stable. ive heard from someone else here that theyre irs machine has a fair amount of body roll when turning at higher speeds. and agareed you cant tow as much safely on an irs as you can with an sra. and i agree with stu, until it has a manual tranny w/foot shift, i wont even look at the rancher irs version.
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member #1697
View JBGill06's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Send a message via AIM to JBGill06
I don't think the IRS on the Rancher is even worth it. To me, it still feels like I'm riding an SRA because the rear suspension is very stiff. There is an enormous difference between my Rincons IRS and that of a Rancher AT. It may have a couple inches of more ground clearence, but it seems like it needs better shocks. The only thing I like is that the rear brakes on the AT are disc instead of drum. They work much better.
Viper Max 3500lb Winch
Kimpex Bumpers
Warn Skid Plates
Maier Handguards
ODI Rogue Grips
Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
ITP Mudlite XL

2014 HD Dyna Switchback
Vance&Hines Pro Pipe/Tuner/Intake

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 4x4

http://www.youtube.com/user/jbgill06
JBGill06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #10357
Ok thanks for the input. I was trying to weight all the pros and cons but it doesn't sound like there is enough pros to warrant getting a new machine just for the IRS and EPS.
MT4000 Warn winch

Old 06-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Actually you get no more ground clearance than the belly skip plates lowest point on any machine,but you do get the chunk,brakes,etc up higher gaining clearance there,but you should get a better ride with the exception of when sidehilling as most all irs rear shocks are adjustable while a lot of sra rear shocks aren't...I'd be less inclined to hang an irs out powersliding,or spinning doughnuts due to the nature of the irs wanting to lift on the rear towards the outside of the slide,or doughnut which can lead to high siding easier than an sra ,but that shouldn't be an issue after a certain amount of riding time,and a short learning curve after you flip it once,or twice you should have the flipping part down pat,errr the proper riding position for such maneuvers down pat I meant.....
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #3579
View nanuk's Photo Gallery(0)
SRA is my preference. Although i would have liked that Honda would have made an SRA like on the Kawasaki Prairie 360. With the sealed oil bathed brake system in with the differential. No bulky rear drum brake as with the rancher.

Last edited by nanuk; 06-25-2011 at 07:00 PM.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #10357
I wish the drum was over inside the rear wheel on the rancher like the old foremans etc so its out of the way a bit.
MT4000 Warn winch

Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 9 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMat View Post
I wish the drum was over inside the rear wheel on the rancher like the old foremans etc so its out of the way a bit.
Yeah, I don't understand that either. I don't know why they didn't stick to the full length axle tube like on the Foreman and 350 Rancher. I guess they were trying to build it as light as possible.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMat View Post
Yeah, I don't understand that either. I don't know why they didn't stick to the full length axle tube like on the Foreman and 350 Rancher. I guess they were trying to build it as light as possible.
Prolly a cost cutting solution for Honda as there's less seals(2 inner seals vs 2 inner,and 2 outer seals on the brake drum housing),less axle bearings,2 less axle tubes to source as well as the axle design itself is far simpler to manufacture,and I am sure there's a cost savings with the shocks,and their mountings...The cheaper they can build them,the larger their profit margin becomes,plus the better the selling price can be by keeping it low...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
atv swingarm vs irs
honda atv irs

honda rancher irs vs sra

honda rancher sra

irs and sra difference
irs or sra on a quad

irs vs sra atv

rancher sra
solid rear axle vs irs atv
sra vs irs
sra vs irs atv
what is the difference between irs and sra on a honda rancher
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.