Honda ATV Forum banner

I sunk my 2006 Rancher 350

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Deeperinthabush 
#1 ·
Today I sunk my 2006 honda Rancher 350. I towed it home with out trying to start it again. As soon as I got it home I drained the oil and gas and also took the air filter out and drained the breather box. The engine appeared to be full of water. When I turned the key on the lights and all still worked. I didn't try to crank it so I'm not sure about the starter.

Does anyone have any advice on what I need to do next to try to keep the four wheeler running ok? I know I am going to have to change the oil several times to get all the water out of the engine. What about the transmission?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. Raise the ATV up on it's back end and drain any water out that might be in the exhaust. Drain the carb bowl in case there's water in it. Remove the spark plug and crank the engine over to get any water out of the cylinder. Keep changing the oil until it doesn't have any more water in it. The engine and transmission use the same oil, it's all together. Check both differentials for water in the gear oil.

#3 ·
as far as i know, the tranny engine use same oil so your trannys takin care of, change the oil 7-9 or so times while running it alttle to heat up oil some. there will prolly be little droplets of water left, just get engine hot and itll steam it out from what ive heard when i sunk my recon.

#4 ·
If you want to play in deep water GET A BOAT!! Just do like helmut said until the last oil change is clean oil.

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums...Free downloadable manuals in the Schematics/Manual help section on the Technical discussions board...Usually after a couple hundred bux in new oil,and filters most all of the water is gone if you do it properly...Motor,and tranny use the same oil,and filter... Remove the plug,air filter,airbox lid,stand atv up on rear wheels until no more water drips...Set it down,pull starter rope with ignition turned off until you see nada come out of the cylinder but air....Drain oil,remove oil filter,allow to drain for several hours(1st drain needs a couple hours to allow water to make its way out,you can pull the starter rope a few times while drain plugs out)..refill with new oil,and new filter,run engine for 5 minutes,drain oil,remove filter,allow to drain for at least an hour,refill with all new oil,new filter,keep doing this again,and again until you get only clear oil with zero signs of water when you drain it into a clean drain pan,and no droplets of water on the dipstick...Run it,ride it for a couple of hours avoiding water,drain oil,inspect the oil for any signs of water,if none,then you're good to go after you refill the engine///Don't just change the oil 2x,and think that you're good to go as there is still heavy moisture trapped down inside the crankshaft,and rod bearings that you have to get out asap if you want your engine to last...

#6 ·
That happened to my 05 rancher lol I bought six new oil filters... Took five oil changes total to have clean oil..I did the first oil change without starting it...the rest I started and let it idle a few minutes between each change... Been a year and alot of trails with no problems

#7 ·
I've sunk a few bikes over the years.

You did the rite thing by not trying to start it.

Drain the oil... and yes, you'll have to do this a fair amount of times...

Drain the carb bowl & chech the gas tank. Drain IF needed

Drain front and rear diff to be safe

As stated... pull plug and crank out any water, and agreeed to tip bike make sure exhaust is clear...

I've always found biggest thing is changing oil untill it's not milky and looks like oil....

#9 ·
Welcome to the forums from TN...if you follow the above advise, you should be fine.

#10 ·
Once you get the engine,and gas tank thoroughly dewatered,and If it stayed under water very long,or you've been submarining a lot you may wish to go ahead,drain any,and all fluids from everything(both diffs),let em drain a couple of hours,then overfill both diffs with fresh gear oil,and run around a few minutes to flush any water out of their bearings,then drain,flush with fresh oil,install drain plugs,refill to proper levels...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.