Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #8579
View Chicagoland Bass's Photo Gallery(0)
2009 Rancher 420FPA wont shift into neutral or reverse

Im wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. Ive searched all the forums and do not see anything similar. I have an 09 Rancher 420 with power streering and the selectable auto or ESP tranny. A few weeks ago it started to not shift down into neutral. It will shift from 1st thru 5th using ESP but when I try to down shift from 1st to neutral a dash shows up on the gear position indicator. It does not flash so its not a code its just a solid dash line. Once it does this I cannot shift to reverse either. Ive been riding it by starting it in 1st gear and pulling the hand brake to override the safety but not having reverse is killing me. There are actually two things that I have read that guys have a lot of problems with which are the shift angle sensor and clutch adjustment. I can try to install a new sensor if anyone thinks thats might fix the issue but as electrical items are not returnable I hesitate to just start randomly changing them. Lastly I have downloaded my service manual and looked for the clutch adjustment. Everything I read shows an adjustment screw on the left side facing forward. My quad has nothing like this at all. I cannot find the clutch adjustment for this bike anywhere.

Please help!!!!!!!
Chicagoland Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member #7182
View my5sons's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland Bass View Post
Im wondering if anyone can help me figure this out. Ive searched all the forums and do not see anything similar. I have an 09 Rancher 420 with power streering and the selectable auto or ESP tranny. A few weeks ago it started to not shift down into neutral. It will shift from 1st thru 5th using ESP but when I try to down shift from 1st to neutral a dash shows up on the gear position indicator. It does not flash so its not a code its just a solid dash line. Once it does this I cannot shift to reverse either. Ive been riding it by starting it in 1st gear and pulling the hand brake to override the safety but not having reverse is killing me. There are actually two things that I have read that guys have a lot of problems with which are the shift angle sensor and clutch adjustment. I can try to install a new sensor if anyone thinks thats might fix the issue but as electrical items are not returnable I hesitate to just start randomly changing them. Lastly I have downloaded my service manual and looked for the clutch adjustment. Everything I read shows an adjustment screw on the left side facing forward. My quad has nothing like this at all. I cannot find the clutch adjustment for this bike anywhere.

Please help!!!!!!!
I wouldn't change the part until you know what it is, so good call there. If you are looking in the manual, and you have the EPS 420, then the model is FPA. You should download the 2007-2010 and look in the troubleshooting steps for the ESP in chapter 23.

>> Click Here to Download your Service/Repair Manual

1996 TRX300FW - ITP Mudlites Warn XT25 (Current Project)
2001 Suzuki LT A50
2003 TRX300EX
2006 Polaris Sportsman 90 - 2 inch lift
2006 TRX250EX - Maxxis Razrs
2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 - ITP Mudlite XL
2008 TRX450ER - No Lid, HRC Kit, 162 Main, 45 pilot, 55 leak jet

my5sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
You have the auto tranny, it doesn't have a clutch free play adjustment. I would try retrieving any trouble codes stored in the computer. The manual will show you how to retrieve them and the tool that you need to retrieve them. The auto tranny is more complicated than the other tranny. I wish I could be more help, but I don't have any experience with the auto transmissions.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #8144
View bobs330's Photo Gallery(0)
^^^^^^^oh crap! you stumped, the helmut
Superwinch Terra 25
Moose rear bumper
Fuse powersports trailer hitch
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member #8579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs330 View Post
^^^^^^^oh crap! you stumped, the helmut
Thats just my luck. I have an issue thats uncommon and not easy fix.

I downloaded the service manual suggested above some time ago and it didnt seem to address my issue. I looked again yesterday and found one that deals with the automatic trans which my other one did not.

Im thinking it may be the shift drum position switch but the diagnostic test instructions are so vague there hard to follow. It talks about testing for "continuity of all 10 terminals in each drum position". Does this mean I have to manually shift the atv and do the test in each gear? That leads me to another issue. I cannot shift thru all the gears manually with the shift tool. It will not go into neutral or reverse that way either. Does this mean its more of a mechanical problem than electrical?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Im thinking it may be the shift drum position switch but the diagnostic test instructions are so vague there hard to follow. It talks about testing for "continuity of all 10 terminals in each drum position". Does this mean I have to manually shift the atv and do the test in each gear? That leads me to another issue. I cannot shift thru all the gears manually with the shift tool. It will not go into neutral or reverse that way either. Does this mean its more of a mechanical problem than electrical?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Yes, you need to shift into each gear and test for continuity to ground for each wire. And yes, if you can't shift into all gears with the manual shifter, then you likely have a mechanical problem with the linkage. On the manual tranny models, the shift linkage is located under the front cover, but I don't know about the auto tranny, as I have no experience with those.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member #10034
View AusRancher's Photo Gallery(0)
Hi,

I have the exact same issue on my fleet of Ranchers!

I can get 1,2,3 but if it goes to 4 or 5 cannot get back to 123 or N, R and cannot select N or R at any time.

FYI - we have had the bike is pieces, replacing the angle sensor will not change anything we did ours no change, also we stripped the bike down internally and found everything ok mechanically so it is electrical somewhere!

We are now also looking at the drum position switch, and yes the diagnoistic honda provide and pretty much useless.

Let us know how you go with yours please, see if we can help each other
AusRancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #8579
AusRancher,
Does yours set a code when it happens? Mine will always shift from 1st to 5th and back down but when I try to go into neutral it displays a dash where the gear position should be. It looks like this - but it does not flash and does not set any codes to be read. Since it wont go into neutral it will also not get down to reverse. I sure would think if it was electrical it would set a code and give me a place to start. I have done some of the diagnostics or at least the ones I understand and everything so far seems ok. Ive checked all the plugs and wiring as well. I wish I knew if there was a way to adjust the auto tranny. I dont believe the issue is major but rather something stupid somewhere. Those kinds of things plague me with everything I own. Lastly can you shift yours manually with the shift tool thru all the gears? I can get 1, 2 and 3 but thats about it.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #8579
Helmut,
I know that if a code is set the gear position indicator will blink long and short dashes to indicate the problem but if its not blinking would it be possible for my dealer to retrieve a code using the HDS pocket tester or if its not flashing there is nothing for them to read?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Helmut,
I know that if a code is set the gear position indicator will blink long and short dashes to indicate the problem but if its not blinking would it be possible for my dealer to retrieve a code using the HDS pocket tester or if its not flashing there is nothing for them to read?
The indicator is supposed to blink as a malfunction is occurring, but it won't blink if it isn't detecting a current problem. In other words, it can have codes stored from previous malfunctions and the indicator won't blink. In order to retrieve those codes, you would need the HDS tester or you can retrieve them by using the display if you short the data link connector with the special SCS tool. I don't have any experience with the auto models, but it's been my experience with the other models, that the self-diagnostic system doesn't always work like it should.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
09 honda rancher wont shift

09 honda rancher wont shift gears

2009 honda rancher wont shift

2009 honda trx420at it stay in neutral
2009 honda trx420fpa wont try to start
2009 honder rancher dash blinks

2009 rancher wont shift with engine running

2009 ranxher wont go in reverse or nuterla

honda 420 line on dash
how hard is it to change fith gear in a honda trx 420 te
how to test diagnostics on 2008 honda rancher

possible causes no reverse in honda rancher four wheeler

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.