Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member #10350
View jflaig's Photo Gallery(0)
Rancher 400 AT Code - New to Forum

Hello,
I just purchased a 2004 Honda Rancher 400 AT and have been coming here for help since I starter looking for one and decided that I should join. So, first off thank you for all of your help already and I know that there will be plenty more to come. Now to my quad. I bought it a couple days ago with no problems, but now I have a code flash when I just turn the key on, without doing any finding procedure. The "--" light for the Hondamatic flashes once long and then five times quick, is this 15 or 5 or something else. I have the service manual, but it does not say anything about codes that flash when the key is turned. Any help would be appreciated. The quad is in a limp mode and barely moves in reverse. If you need for information please let me know. Thank you!
Jflaig
jflaig is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 4 times
Welcome to the forums. The code retrieval procedure is a little different for the models that have the Hondamatic and I'm not too familiar with the Hondamatics, but I'll try to help the best I can. From your description, it sounds like you're getting a code 5, which is angle sensor system (motor lock). Even though it's flashing a code when you turn the key on, have you tried the code retrieval procedure, as described in the service manual to see if you can retrieve any codes?

Quote:
I have the service manual, but it does not say anything about codes that flash when the key is turned.
I believe the following applies to this quote. ↑↑↑↑↑↑ From the service manual:

"If the gear position indicator blinks (in mode 1).
indicating a system failure before retrieving the
problem code, and the problem cannot be retrieved
by repeating the retrieval procedures, perform the
diagnostic troubleshooting of Problem code 3 or 7."

If I were you, I would go ahead and try to retrieve any stored codes by performing the code retrieval procedure as in the service manual, if you haven't already. If no codes can be retrieved that way, I would troubleshoot for code 5, as described in the service manual. If it checks out OK, I would troubleshoot for codes 3 and 7.

Codes 3 and 7 are for the gear position switch (3) and the up/down shift buttons/switch (7). These are the normal two things to troubleshoot on any ESP system, Hondamatic or other, when you have a shifting malfunction but no codes can be retrieved from the computer.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member #10350
Ok, sorry for the late reply. I went to get test it and the battery was dead, so I had to replace it. I went and checked it today after the new battery was installed. I still have the 5 or 15 code when the key is turned, but I also have a 12 code when doing to retrieval mode. I noticed that the 30 Amp engine fuse was blown, so I replaced it and hoped that it would clear, but it did not. I then checked all of the other steps suggested in the service manual for code 12 and found nothing wrong. I then tried to clear the code, but it does not seem like pressing the up and down buttons do anything for clearing the code. All I did was press both of then together but never got the clear code, am I doing something wrong? I really do not want to replace the ecm, but if I have to I will. What will this code cause it to do, will it still function at all or just limp? Any and all suggestions are welcome. I am newer to quad, so please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, this is a learning experience. I appreciate all of your help. Thank you.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Welcome to the forums,and if I had to stab at it in the dark,my guess would be on the angle sensor as a lot of people have problems with them repeatedly,and a faulty one will cause the bike to go into limp mode from what I have gathered...What is the mileage,and hours on your machine?
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflaig View Post
I noticed that the 30 Amp engine fuse was blown, so I replaced it and hoped that it would clear, but it did not.
Do you mean the 30 amp "motor" fuse? The 30 amp motor fuse is the fuse for the shift motor circuit. Code 12 is the ECU motor drive circuit which is the same circuit the blown fuse is in. If you did all the associated tests as described in the service manual and everything checks out good, you may have a bad ECU.

Quote:
I then tried to clear the code, but it does not seem like pressing the up and down buttons do anything for clearing the code. All I did was press both of then together but never got the clear code, am I doing something wrong?
Did you press both of them at the same time, for more than 3 seconds, while the code was being flashed on the gear position indicator? In other words, you have to retrieve the code and while it's still flashing on the gear position indicator, push both buttons and hold them for more than 3 seconds. At this point, if the code is erased, the blink should change to the conformation code as shown in the service manual.

Quote:
I really do not want to replace the ecm, but if I have to I will.
Yes, I can understand that. If you did the tests in the service manual and they all checked out good, it seems to be indicating a bad ECU. Unfortunately, I've seen the codes and test procedures indicate the problem as the ECU before and the ECU not be the problem. The fact that the fuse was blown in that circuit (code 12) would leave me to believe that the problem is in the ECU motor driver circuit, which would include the ECU, the shift motor and the related wiring. Since you did the tests in the service manual for that circuit, that seems to only leave the ECU. I wish I could help you more, but I'm just not that familiar with the Hondamatic ESP.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member #10350
Ok, so I just went out and checked the wiring for the shift motor again and there was continuity, which the manual states is good. I was also informed to start looking at the Code 5 steps and check those. I disconnected the shifter motor and applied voltage and I can feel it tense, but it never moves, so I believe that this is bad. Could that of thrown the Code 12? Thank you for all of your help.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Ok, so I just went out and checked the wiring for the shift motor again and there was continuity, which the manual states is good. I was also informed to start looking at the Code 5 steps and check those. I disconnected the shifter motor and applied voltage and I can feel it tense, but it never moves, so I believe that this is bad. Could that of thrown the Code 12? Thank you for all of your help.
Yes, I believe so. And that could have caused the fuse to blow, too. Try lightly tapping on the shift motor when you apply voltage and see if the shift motor will turn. Just a light tap, don't hit it too hard or you may break a magnet inside the motor.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #10350
Awesome, that is good to hear. Does anyone know where to get one cheap? I will try to replace it and let you know how it goes. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member #10022
View redman4264's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
Yes, I believe so. And that could have caused the fuse to blow, too. Try lightly tapping on the shift motor when you apply voltage and see if the shift motor will turn. Just a light tap, don't hit it too hard or you may break a magnet inside the motor.

+3, I broke my magnets once while tapping it ... The motor is two piece, make sure to tap on the front of the housing where it bolts to the motor. The casing on the shift motor is REALLY THIN and will break the magnets easy. Just thought I would add that for you. Good luck..
redman4264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member #10350
Ok, so I went out and tried it again while gently tapping it and it moved, after it took it apart and cleaned it out. I did not get a chance to put it back in because it is raining outside, but will that fix the code. I was thinking about doing the initialization procedure, but the quad in currently sitting in the bed of my truck at an apartment complex and they would not be to happy if I started driving it around, so will jacking it up and letting the rear wheels free spin in the air work? Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
2004 honda rancher esp code 4
code 12 for 05 honda 400at rancher
codes for 04 honda rancher 400at
codes on 2004 honda rancher
honda 400 at 5 flashes

honda rancher 400 codes

honda rancher 400 shifter flashing
honda rancher 400at code 12
honda rancher code 11
honda rancher400 display -- in gear position
how to check for codes on a rancher 400 at
wat is code 5 on a honda rancher esp
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.