Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Honda Rancher Discuss all models of the Honda Rancher 350/400/420

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
Why not take it down the road aways n test ride it somewhere?!?!?! I'd be worried about it going through my cabs back window...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member #10350
View jflaig's Photo Gallery(0)
Ok, so I went out and tried to do this today and the quad will not start. The start turns and the battery is fully charged, but it appears like I have no spark. The only thing that I have done to it since the last time it ran was pulled the shifter motor and put it back in. I tried to use the service manual, but it just confused me. Why would it start a couple of days ago but not today. Any suggestions? Thanks
jflaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #8365
View Deeperinthabush's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 11 times
"Why would it start a couple of days ago but not today."Bad plug,bad gas,loose electrical connection,switch in off position,etc...
FREE REPAIR MANUALS >>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...all-years.html 1986-1992 trx350 parts for sale>>http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/atv-parts-sale/29225-complete-part-out-1986-fourtrax-350-a.html
Deeperinthabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member #10350
So I checked the wiring and everything looks good. I tested the coil and the grounds are good, but I am not getting any voltage to the black/yellow wire. Is there a way to test the coil or should I assume it is bad or should I assume that the ECM is not sending voltage. I also checked the regulator/rectifier and it tested ok according to the service manual. I really dont know why it wont start. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member #10350
Ok, I have put some work into the quad since my last post. I purchased a new ECM, replaced the front cv axles and have put about 400 miles on it. I ended up having a bad ignition coil when the quad would not start, but I still have the code 12 and the no reverse/limp mode situation. The quad has been running fine for the most part until yesterday when the no start situation started again. I checked the fuses and the plug, but I still had no spark. So I went out today and started looking at everything again and was able to pull start the quad and it ran great. I swapped the ECM and it still would not start. I checked the battery and it was low on charge, so I am charging it now. Is it possible for the stator to be bad and cause both my starting problem and my code 12 problem? If the stator does not put out enough power will it be able to turn the shifter control motor? I have not experience with them, so I would like some advice before replacing it. Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
I don't know if that would cause it to throw a code 12 or not, but it might. I know low voltage can cause shift problems, but I don't know if it will throw a code. The stator or the regulator/rectifier either one could be causing the low battery and no start issue. I would do the tests for the stator that are shown in the service manual and see what it reads. You can test the stator at the wiring connector without removing the stator. Also, after you get the battery fully charged, start the ATV with the pull rope and check the voltage at the battery with the ATV at idle and with the engine revved up and see what it says.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Last edited by Helmut; 07-07-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member #10350
Ok, I finally figured out that the starting issue is related to a wiring problem in the connector to the control module, but this did not help my shifting issue. I have tried to do the initialization procedure, but can never get past the part where I am supposed to hear the shift control motor run. I do not hear anything and I have the constant "--" on the dash like I am supposed to. I then run the test on the control motor and it checks out fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it a control motor or something else? Is there any other way to test that motor? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member #11931
View Rancher05's Photo Gallery(0)
I have almost the same problem. 2005 Honda Rancher 400 AT will not move in reverse. The engine cuts out and has no power when I shift to reverse. It works in drive but only in Automatic mode. ESP does not work at all. (Push button shift) I put it on stands today and the wheels will spin in reverse but not very fast. I am seeing code 11 I think, 1 flash then 11 quick flashes. I noticed that the manual Drive/Neutral/Reverse lever seemed a little stiff going to drive so I adjusted the cable tension near the footrest. This fixed the problem and I put everything back together. I dropped the quad and when I went to test it I could not back up again. I pulled it apart again and loosened the shift cable slightly. I saw that the Neutral, ESP and Reverse indicators worked and I was able to go for a short ride, including reverse. I stopped for a minute and when I started it again I had almost the same issue. This time ESP worked and it was stuck in 1st gear. I could not get Automatic or reverse to work. I played with the cable again for about 20 minutes and got it working again for about 5 minutes. I shut it down, started it again and now have the original problem again, Automatic only with no reverse. The red reverse indicator and green neutral indicator function properly but the "--" code and ESP are on the display. When it was working I would see "N" or "R" on the display if I was in Neutral or Reverse. I checked the Service Manual but there is so much there I don't know where to start. DRIVE/NEUTRAL/REVERSE SWITCH maybe? Let me know if you want any more information. Thanks in advance for all ideas!
Rancher05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member #11931
View Rancher05's Photo Gallery(0)
UPDATE: After I originally posted I removed the angle sensor, made sure it rotated and put it back on. I checked the code today and it is now code 6, indicating an angle sensor problem. I also did the code check according to the Service Manual instructions and it is 6 as well. It appears that there is a known issue with the angle sensor according to some other posts I read. I'm going to check with a local dealer tomorrow and see if they stock it. Am I on the right track here or should I be checking something else?
Rancher05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher05 View Post
UPDATE: After I originally posted I removed the angle sensor, made sure it rotated and put it back on. I checked the code today and it is now code 6, indicating an angle sensor problem. I also did the code check according to the Service Manual instructions and it is 6 as well. It appears that there is a known issue with the angle sensor according to some other posts I read. I'm going to check with a local dealer tomorrow and see if they stock it. Am I on the right track here or should I be checking something else?
I would do the code erasing procedure in the service manual and start over. The fact that you removed the angle sensor and turned it, probably made the computer set the angle sensor code.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda Rancher

Search tags for this page
400 rancher at will not start
esp blinks 6 times 04 rancher 400 at
honda 400 at 5 flashes
honda rancher 400 at codes

honda rancher 400 code 5

honda rancher 400 shifter flashing
honda rancher 400at code 12
honda rancher code 5

honda rancher code 6

honda rancher esp codes
how to check for codes on a rancher 400 at
rancher 400 code 12
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.