89 trx 350 ticking - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

89 trx 350 ticking

Got the bike running great even though I'm waiting for a carb rebuild kit, tonight while I had it ideling I noticed a fairly loud ticking from the motor and I'm convinced it's the timing chain, just wondering is there anything I can do before pulling the motor apart to maybe adjust it or something to see if it fixes the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Liked: 213 times
No, they have automatic tensioners on them..If you're SURE that's what it is, then there's nothing really you can do...

'91 TRX300FW
'86 TRX125 Project
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Gold Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Liked: 111 times
Yup there's no cheap fix for that but it should run heaps better after. My best running fourtrax has a new cam chain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Liked: 27 times
You can check the timing chain slack before tearing the motor down to be sure that it needs one.

Crank the motor by hand until its at or near TDC on the compression stroke (to prevent the cam from backing up off of a lobe ramp) then take the plug out of the end of the tensioner and take the chain tensioner off the cylinder. Once its off, hold it back in against the chain guide and look at the gap between the tensioner and cylinder where it mounts. If there is 3/16" or less gap there the chain is worn out. To reinstall the tensioner, use a narrow screwdriver through the hole in the tensioner where you removed the plug earlier to back off the adjuster and hold onto it until the tensioner is screwed back down tight against the cylinder. Then release the screwdriver and put the plug back in the end of the tensioner.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode