Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2651
View blowfishRus6's Photo Gallery(0)
low oil sensor does work

88 fourtrax 300. how much oil does it hold anyways????

i had noticed a little metal on metal sound while riding, and when going up hill thru a trail getting on it, it would cut out and lose power. and then it finally lost all the power and was ideling kinda high but when i hit the throttle it would die out and kinda just idle with short revs.

i though it was carb related, got to spraying carb cleaner around, after a few mins of sitting it went back to normal. okay, went up that same hill, happend again. so i went to check the oil, barely hitting the dip stick (doh) so i put some more in, problem went away immediately, no more cutting out on the hill.

i just found it kinda cool that it wont let me just blow the motor with running it dry, the oil light did not come on tho.

so how much is it supposed to have in it anyways??? i put 1.5 quarts in at first (thought thats what it held) added another half and its half way on the dip stick.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 8 times
Quote:
i just found it kinda cool that it wont let me just blow the motor with running it dry, the oil light did not come on tho.
It will, you just got lucky. The oil light only comes on when the oil temperature is high and it won't work at all if there's no oil touching the thermo sensor.

Quote:
so how much is it supposed to have in it anyways??? i put 1.5 quarts in at first (thought thats what it held) added another half and its half way on the dip stick.
If it's completely dry, it will hold 2.6 quarts.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfishRus6 View Post
88 fourtrax 300. how much oil does it hold anyways????

i had noticed a little metal on metal sound while riding, and when going up hill thru a trail getting on it, it would cut out and lose power. and then it finally lost all the power and was ideling kinda high but when i hit the throttle it would die out and kinda just idle with short revs.

i though it was carb related, got to spraying carb cleaner around, after a few mins of sitting it went back to normal. okay, went up that same hill, happend again. so i went to check the oil, barely hitting the dip stick (doh) so i put some more in, problem went away immediately, no more cutting out on the hill.

they hold close to 2 quarts..as for your sound you hear...sounds like your oil pump is about to go on a coffee break !..you need to pull your valve caps off..and inspect the cam and valve area..make sure your getting oil up to them...you can start the motor with the caps off..and watch to see if your getting oil to the cam and valves ?..if not..your oil pump is either blocked..or dieing.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member #2651
DOHH haha. well i got 2 quarts in it. it did not like that 1.5
Old 09-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #2651
it quited down some when i got some more oil in it. ill give it a check.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
you need to pull your valve caps off..and inspect the cam and valve area..make sure your getting oil up to them...you can start the motor with the caps off..and watch to see if your getting oil to the cam and valves ?
An easier way to see if you're getting oil to the top of the head is to just loosen the bolt that holds the external oil line to the valve cover and crank the engine over. If it's pumping oil should come out around the bolt. Don't forget to turn the kill switch to the "off" position, you don't want the engine to start while you're checking it.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 90 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Quote:
you need to pull your valve caps off..and inspect the cam and valve area..make sure your getting oil up to them...you can start the motor with the caps off..and watch to see if your getting oil to the cam and valves ?
An easier way to see if you're getting oil to the top of the head is to just loosen the bolt that holds the external oil line to the valve cover and crank the engine over. If it's pumping oil should come out around the bolt. Don't forget to turn the kill switch to the "off" position, you don't want the engine to start while you're checking it.
yeah..i thought of that oil line..but..i wanted him to check the valve and cam to make sure he didnt do any damage already..but.yes..you can take the oil line off the top side of it.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member #2651
it might have been the float sticking. it pours gas out when im sitting on a hill some times.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member #2651
ha, now other issuies.....busted the rear end. i think. pulled it off, oil looked to to speckled with metal flakes, inside the drive shaft (spline area i guess???) there was a bunch of pieces of metal. its getting dark so i could not see but it feel like most of the main gear splines were intact from feel. the splines on the drive shaft and the rear look okay, well there all there. the rear has some play/slop to it tho, and with it drained and off the 4wheeler it catches some times when i roll it and binds.

is it going to need a complete rebuild??? and well id rather just try and find the foreman 350 ????? rear end with the solid axle tube and brake by the wheel.

ahhhh. what do you guys think is wrong with it???
Old 09-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
what do you guys think is wrong with it???
Same thing that usually happens to the Fourtrax 300 rear end, the axle bearings went out and let the axle move and probably damaged the gears. If it didn't tear the gears up too bad or damage the end of the pinion shaft, you can just replace the two diff bearings and the both pinion bearings and the bearing in the backing plate.

Grab the end of the pinion shaft, where the driveshaft splines on, and see if you can wiggle it side to side. If it wiggles much, the other end of the pinion shaft, down in the diff where the needle bearing is, is probably damaged too much and the pinion shaft and ring gear will need to be replaced along with all the bearings and seals:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page
2003 honda foreman low oil shutoff
300 fourtrax engine low oil pressure damage

do honda quads have a low oil switch

does tha honda rancher have a low iol shut off
honda 200 trx 4 wheeler low oil level sensor
honda 350 have a low oil switch
honda fourtrax 300 ring and pinion
honda low oil sensor
honda rancher low oil sensor

how does a low oil sensor work

how does low oil sensor work

how much is an oil sensor
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.