low oil sensor does work - Page 3 - Honda ATV Forum
Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blowfishRus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,285
i got some pics, ill have them uploaded later..... looks like a few splines got wore off on the pinion shaft??? the part where the drive shaft goes over in the diff. that is probably why i found piece of metal all up in the driveshaft. the big gear that you see from the diff drain cover, some of them are a little beat up and have some chunks taken out of them.

ill have pics soon.

what do i need to do to break it all the way down??? the diff that is.

88' 300 fourtrax 2wd
blowfishRus6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 23 times
Quote:
what do i need to do to break it all the way down??? the diff that is.
Just unbolt the two diff halves and remove the ring gear. To get the pinion shaft out, you will need the locknut tool or you can make one. I would remove the big nut on the pinion shaft, before unbolting the diff halves. Run your axle through the ring gear and hold the axle with a pipe wrench and use an impact wrench to remove it. It can be hard to get off sometimes.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blowfishRus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,285
there was a bunch of metal in here inside the drive shaft....

Click the image to open in full size.

these are about the worst of the big gear....

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

here is the pinion i guess ????? a few of the teeth look knocked down a little....

Click the image to open in full size.


i gotta get the nuts off on the left side (looking at it from the back) to be able to split the case.... i have the other side completely broke down but its not splitting so i guess i have to take those nuts loose also. gotta find a pipe bar or something to hold the other side of the axle....those nuts are a little tight.

88' 300 fourtrax 2wd
blowfishRus6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blowfishRus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,285
o and the pinion will come out a good bit still bolted in, maybe has a half of inch play in and out that i can pull on it. i could not get that bolt off, maybe t/m.

88' 300 fourtrax 2wd
blowfishRus6 is offline  
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,394
Liked: 1716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowfishRus6 View Post
there was a bunch of metal in here inside the drive shaft....

Click the image to open in full size.

these are about the worst of the big gear....

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

here is the pinion i guess ????? a few of the teeth look knocked down a little....

Click the image to open in full size.


i gotta get the nuts off on the left side (looking at it from the back) to be able to split the case.... i have the other side completely broke down but its not splitting so i guess i have to take those nuts loose also. gotta find a pipe bar or something to hold the other side of the axle....those nuts are a little tight.
the pic where you say it's your pinion gear...is not your pinion gear..that is the drive shaft spline end of the pinion gear..your driving part of your pinion gear is on the other end of that part you called the pinion gear..you can't see it until you split the differental in half..then you will see the other end of it...it kinda looks like those teeth on your ring gear..just alot shorter in length.
shadetree is offline  
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 23 times
Your gears are shot. See how the teeth on the ring gear are sharp, they shouldn't be sharp. If you can pull your pinion shaft up and down, that means your pinion bearing and needle bearing are shot, too.

You better get that pinion nut off before you take the diff apart or it will be a lot harder to get off. You won't have any way to hold it. Run your axle back through the diff and use an impact wrench to take it off. Hold the axle with a pipe wrench. They are hard to get off, you will need a good impact wrench.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
shadetree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: north little rock, ar.
Posts: 29,394
Liked: 1716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
Your gears are shot. See how the teeth on the ring gear are sharp, they shouldn't be sharp. If you can pull your pinion shaft up and down, that means your pinion bearing and needle bearing are shot, too.

You better get that pinion nut off before you take the diff apart or it will be a lot harder to get off. You won't have any way to hold it. Run your axle back through the diff and use an impact wrench to take it off. Hold the axle with a pipe wrench. They are hard to get off, you will need a good impact wrench.
i've never used an axle to hold the differental while taking the nut off, here's what i did..i found an old drive shaft spline...the end that goes onto the pinion..cut it off the drive shaft..got a flat piece of metal..big enough to cut a hole in the center for the drive shaft spline..welded it in the center..then drilled the holes where the bolts go for the differental to mount to the swing arm..soooo..now i just drop the home made tool down onto the pinion spline.and the bolt holes go through the metal holes..this keeps it held in place..while i use an impact to take the nut off..easy !..cost..prob about 10 bucks to make..lol.
shadetree is offline  
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blowfishRus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,285
the axle is still in it....i could not get the nuts off the other side. and well it started to get dark so i could not see what i was doing.


i wish i had these tools yall talk about, sure would make life easier. is it not gonna come off with out an impact??? i have basic tools myself, heck i just picked up some wrenches today.....but i can get my hands on tools. just dont know about an impact.....and well a welder is not always easy to come by either.

its its done, its done, im not gonna rebuild it, mainly just wanted to see what the inside looked like. i have seen complete upgrade rear ends go for a decent price (cheaper than just the diff) so i guess ill go that route.




okay, tell me how stupid i am and how i probably messed it up......last time i filled up the diff (with 80-90 or whatever it is) i put a finger tip full of grease in it............did i potentially gum up the bearings...................or am i not a complete dummy and it was just my right thumb????

88' 300 fourtrax 2wd
blowfishRus6 is offline  
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
blowfishRus6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree View Post
the pic where you say it's your pinion gear...is not your pinion gear..that is the drive shaft spline end of the pinion gear..your driving part of your pinion gear is on the other end of that part you called the pinion gear..you can't see it until you split the differental in half..then you will see the other end of it...it kinda looks like those teeth on your ring gear..just alot shorter in length.
good info. thanks.

88' 300 fourtrax 2wd
blowfishRus6 is offline  
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
 
Helmut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,581
Liked: 23 times
Quote:
is it not gonna come off with out an impact???
Probably not going to come off without an impact wrench, there isn't any way to hold it good enough to get it off with anything else.

Most 4-wheeler problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda ATV Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome