Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member #4392
View bobami's Photo Gallery(0)
Thanks Guys! I like the idea of running another brown wire from connector to tailight and will try it. If a short exist doesnt that mean "short circuit" like in NO power? Or if Helmut is right and brown wire has chafed against a hot wire and its picking up current is that considered a short as well. I examined the connector that the brown wire is connected to from the main harness with a magnifying glass and it is clean as a whistle in fact it has a bit of white grease on it and the connectoor is shiny brass when I displace the grease with a toothpick. What are the odds of a chafed wire inside the wiring harness kind of rare I bet. Should I try pulling the brown wire thru the harness or just tape a new one over the existing harness? Seems like I may create other problems trying to pull one wire thru that 3/4 inch cluster of wires? Thanks again you guys are a HUGE help. I am basically a shithouse back yard mechanic that loves to take on a challenge once in a while and have to admit this is biggest thing I ever tried with an electrical problem, but your help keeps me from being scared off. If I figure this one out next challenge will be to get my snowblower lite working after 5 years of darkness!!!
bobami is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member #4392
Helmut.....The diagram you posted is same as the one in my owners manual. I also have a clymer manual that has a similar diagram. I noticed none of the diagrams show the stop light or brake switch that is activated from the pedal? Was this perhaps optional equipment back in 1994? Also my machine has some kind of outlet on the right side of handle bar. I have no idea what kind of device would hook into the strange looking receptacle on this thing, maybe a special spotlight or something?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member #690
View Pain's Photo Gallery(0)
I don't think that machine has a brake light.

A short can be any situation where there is one part of a circuit touching another part where it shouldn't be touching. I'm sure there is a origin of the term which probably meant a "short circuit" to ground, meaning it didn't take the "long circuit" or whatever, but it's just meant to mean it's touching something it ain't suppose to touch.

On a tangent, the term "Debug", as in to de-bug a circuit or to remove the bugs is said to have come about from someone finding a dead bug in the socket of a relay, and the bug caused a short.

Anyway, back to the wire. I wouldn't try to pull it through the harness, just tape it along side.

The problems are bigots, hate mongers, fear peddlers and opportunists. History has shown that those people are far more dangerous than a few guys who talk differently or wear funny hats.

Last edited by Pain; 09-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member #4392
Thanks Pain. I will tape another wire outside the harness and be done with it. BTW this machine definately has a stop light and a switch that is connected to foot brake via a spring. Not on any wiring diagrams however even later model year diagrams. Thanks for all the help on this dilemma i will install the wire this weekend and let all you guys know how I make out.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member #690
Strange. Well you know what? That might be where your short came from. Someone adding stuff that wasn't there to begin with? Does the light bulb actually have 2 filaments? Is it a dual socket, or just a single [one that accepts dual filament bulbs]?

At this point, I might take a breath and have a peak around the machine. Maybe it's not a short in the wire, but something in the that machine but not in the diagram that we aren't seeing, in which case you may not fix anything by running a new wire.

The problems are bigots, hate mongers, fear peddlers and opportunists. History has shown that those people are far more dangerous than a few guys who talk differently or wear funny hats.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 91 times
a have to agree with you there pain..someone added a stop brake switch to it..and more than likely caused a short in the wiring...the wire harness that is on it now..may not even be the right wire harness ??..who knows..ppl do stupid crap all the time.
shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member #4392
The machine is 16 years old plenty of time for stupid people to do lots of things to it. The harness does not look like it was ever messed with. The brake light is seperate altogether from the tail light. It is mounted on the rear rack. the switch for the brake light is connected to a connector that comes right out of the main harness that is not documented on the wiring diagram. My owners manual desbibes a DC outlet on the right side of handlebars but I do not see it in diagram either unless its the "Fuse for Option" in diagram? The tail light is also connected directly to a connector coming out of main wire harness. Pain does this make sense now?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member #690
Yeah, I think so. As long as it's completely separate, then I guess you can run a new wire.

In fact, before you do that, just cut the brown wire loose from the harness side of the connector and see if everything starts working as expected. If so, then you can run your new wire. If not, then you know you got other problems.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
Yeah, someone has just added that brake light. I've never seen a brake light on a Fourtrax 300 and as far as I know, they didn't offer the option. Someone probably used parts from a different ATV that had a brake light.

Quote:
My owners manual desbibes a DC outlet on the right side of handlebars but I do not see it in diagram either unless its the "Fuse for Option" in diagram?
It's on the diagram and labeled as "DC Consent". It is located directly to the right of the ignition switch on the wiring diagram. This is similar to a regular DC accessory plug, except it's just made different. I don't know if yours still has it, but they came with the male side of the plug that plugs into the DC outlet. You had to wire it to the end of whatever you wanted to use in the outlet and then, just plug it in.

I would cut the brown wire close to the handlebar/light switch and close to the taillight plug, but leave yourself enough room to attach another wire on both ends. Before you hook up the new wire, check and see if there is voltage at the wire at the taillight plug. If you still have voltage there, you've still got a problem. If not, then you're OK to run the new wire. Tape up or seal off the ends of the "old" brown wire that you're leaving in the harness.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member #4392
Helmut I am a little confused with your suggestion. I was going to cut the brown wire at the connector coming out of the harness at the handlebars and at the taillight plug in battery box that leads to taillight. when you say to check voltage at taillight plug I assume you mean on the end that goes to taillight after wire is cut? The leftover brown wire in harness is always going to have voltage in it when I am done??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page
1990 honda 300 fourtrax wiring

1994 honda 4 wheeler

1994 honda fourtrax 300 wiring diagram
1994 honda fourtrax wire diagram
1994 honda fourtrax wiring diagram
1994 honda fourtrax wiring schematic
1994 honda trx 300 wiring diagram
1994 trx300fw wiring

1994 trx300fw wiring diagram

honda fourtrax 300 wiring diagram

honda recon wiring diagram

trx300fw wiring diagram

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.