Honda ATV Forum
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Honda FourTrax Discussions for the FourTrax Rincon, Foreman, Rancher, Recon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member #2428
View timbosrecon's Photo Gallery(0)
250 recon rear end...

can anyone tell me how to get the pinion out of the the gear case of a 250 recon?
I'm trying to salvage this rear end if I can, but cant seem to get the pinion out.

Thanks. Tim B.
timbosrecon is offline   Reply With Quote
HondaATVForums.net is the premier Honda ATV Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads, so Register - It's Free!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
View Helmut's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 10 times
There's a big nut that screws into the end of the differential, where the drive shaft fits. This nut has threads on the outside of the nut that threads into the diff. The inside is hex shaped. It takes a special tool to remove it.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Helmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #2048
View shadetree's Photo Gallery(0)
Liked: 120 times
if you don't have the tool to remove the hex nut..you can try something i do..if you can get your hands on a sqaure piece of tubing..i can't remember the size..1 1/2 or 2 inches..it fits down inside the nut at the right angle, with a pipe wrench..you can take the hex nut out.it does work..it's just finding the right size of tubing that fits. maybe you can get a measurement across the nut..and see what size will work..sorry i can't remember the size..but..it sure beats paying a boat load of cash just for this tool..when you may only use it once in your life..lol.
shadetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
You can make the tool if you really want to. I made one for me and I made one for one of my buddies. It's easy, but you have to find a large fitting of some kind with an outer hex shape that is the same size as the inside of the nut. Then just cut it off and weld it to the end of an impact socket. Works great. I can't tell you where to get the fitting, though. I just happened to already have a bunch of fittings and already had some that were perfect. And by the way, it has to be made of steel, so you can weld it.

You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member #1088
View Billy250X's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You can make the tool if you really want to. I made one for me and I made one for one of my buddies. It's easy, but you have to find a large fitting of some kind with an outer hex shape that is the same size as the inside of the nut. Then just cut it off and weld it to the end of an impact socket. Works great. I can't tell you where to get the fitting, though. I just happened to already have a bunch of fittings and already had some that were perfect. And by the way, it has to be made of steel, so you can weld it.
The welding thing is a given helmut.

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
Billy250X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Supporting Member

Member #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy250X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
The welding thing is a given helmut.
Some of the fittings are brass. I didn't won't someone to go to the trouble of buying one and not thinking about it and then getting home and realizing that they can't weld it. But if they're a welder, then they wouldn't do that I suppose. LOL.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member #1088
View Billy250X's Photo Gallery(0)
We'd hope not anyways or they had there head in the wrong place.LOL

1991 Trx250X Custom exhaust,K&N jetted,widened 7.5 inches in the back and 8 inches in the frontWarrior rear shock and z400 front shocks with custom brackets.Race cut fenders.+3 swingarm.Way more to come.
Building things makes me happy.
Billy250X is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda ATV Forum > Honda Model Specific Discussions > Honda FourTrax

Search tags for this page
1998 recon pinion gear rear end.
2003 honda 250 recon used rearends
2003 honda 250 recon used rearends for 2- wheel drive
honda recon 250 rear end assembly
honda recon bolt for rear end
honda recon pinion

honda recon rear end

how to take a rearend out of a 2004 honda recon
rear end 250 recon
takeaxleoutofahonda250atv
what year rear axles fit a 2003 honda recon
will a 250x rear end fit a 250 recon
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.